• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

need help won't start

Jrlmlf

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2019 ar240 and starboard engine will not start. Took it out all day about a month ago and had no issues. Came flushed engines. 3 weeks later went to go out again and port engine fired up no issue and starboard engine did nothing. I have tested all the kill switches and they are good. If I jump the starter relay the engine will turn over. I changed the starter relay 3 times and and still same issue. I did move it over to the port engine and started with no problem. Testing the leads to the relay I get power to the relay when I turn the key, but no power to the relay side that goes to the Starter. I have switched ECU, ignition, kill switches with no luck. Any suggestions?

When you checked for voltage to the relay on the coil side where did you ground your meter. Wondering if you might have a ground problem at the relay.

I ground it to the battery, where would the relay ground to? The wire schematics shows a yellow wire going to the fues box and the black wire to the ecu.

I ground it to the battery, where would the relay ground to? The wire schematics shows a yellow wire going to the fues box and the black wire to the ecu.
The black wire is most likely the ground, unplug the black wire from the relay to the wiring harness and connect your meter to the connector in the harness instead of the battery and see if you show voltage then. Or using an ohm meter see if you have continuity between the harness wire and the negative on the battery.

I guess I confused because when you turn the key to start both wires are showing power and relay is not showing a ground. I have attached the wire diagram as well. I will try what you suggested tonight. Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230523-114116_Hancom Office S.jpg
    Screenshot_20230523-114116_Hancom Office S.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 14
I guess I confused because when you turn the key to start both wires are showing power and relay is not showing a ground. I have attached the wire diagram as well. I will try what you suggested tonight. Thanks
Looking at the diagram you have wires marked L to terminal 3 and Y to terminal 4 on the relay. You need to connect your meter to both those wires and see if you have at least 12vdc when you turn the key to start.

I am getting 12 volts out of each them when turning the key. I tested them last night.

i wonder if the neutral safety switch is giving it a ground.

I tested it last night as well and it tested fine. Could it be a bad ground wire to the Starter? It's behind the manifold and I can't reach it with out removing the manifold. I have not gone down that road due to it turning over when I jump the relay. It is weak win it turns over.

I tested it last night as well and it tested fine. Could it be a bad ground wire to the Starter? It's behind the manifold and I can't reach it with out removing the manifold. I have not gone down that road due to it turning over when I jump the relay. It is weak win it turns over.
Since the starter runs when you jumped the relay it’s not the main ground from the battery to the stater bolt.

I’m confused when you say you have power to both wires when you turn the key, are you checking for voltage with them connected to the relay?

No I pulled the plug and tested each wire.

Do you have independent starting batteries? As in one for each motor.

I have 2 batteries
One is a house battery
And one start battery

No I pulled the plug and tested each wire.
Ok, not sure why you have power from both wires to ground, have you tried testing with the negative meter probe on the black wire and the positive probe on the yellow wire?

Give 12v to the relay on the little wires to see if it spins the starter. Relay may click and still be bad.

Speaking with a car tech the black wire will stay hot until the ecu gives it the ground. He suggested for me to ground the ecu with some jumper cables. I dug through the shop manual to find the ground for the ecu incase that was the issue and found the earth plate on back side of the motor. It carries all the ecu grounds. I removed it and it was corroded. Changed ir out from the good motor and started right up. Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I hop this helps someone in the future.

Back