• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need more Scarab Content

Bohdiez

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
Just trying to stir up some buzz for the Scarab peps. As a northern person, I’m getting the itch for some warmer weather. The snow is melting which means spring is around the corner. My delivery date is still scheduled for first week of May. Fingers crossed.

Let’s get some Pics going.

Spring cleaning, waxing, anything.
Let’s Go

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Can do! lol
1. Found the 165 buzzer behind the gauges. I'm annoyed at how loud it is when I'm low on fuel. I stuffed a latex glove inside and muffled the sound quite a bit. It's the hole you see in the pic.
2. Bought a wakeboard. Should be fun! :)
3 - 6. Photos of my giant gel coat restoration project. I went through the entire boat this winter and sanded, buffed, etc. Applied two ceramic coatings too. I noticed the biggest issue is towing on gravel roads. TONS or rock chips on the hull. I've repaired a lot of it, but now I'm looking at proper solutions like a deflector, mud flaps, etc. The roads were really bad last year to the cottage because of major road work. Better roads now, but I'm still looking for a proper solution.

Otherwise, getting excited here in Ottawa too. Also, a new 165 owner near me who has yet to pick up his boat in Barrie. As soon as I can, I'll be bringing him out for a ride. :)

Attachments

Bohdiez

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
Can do! lol
1. Found the 165 buzzer behind the gauges. I'm annoyed at how loud it is when I'm low on fuel. I stuffed a latex glove inside and muffled the sound quite a bit. It's the hole you see in the pic.
2. Bought a wakeboard. Should be fun! :)
3 - 6. Photos of my giant gel coat restoration project. I went through the entire boat this winter and sanded, buffed, etc. Applied two ceramic coatings too. I noticed the biggest issue is towing on gravel roads. TONS or rock chips on the hull. I've repaired a lot of it, but now I'm looking at proper solutions like a deflector, mud flaps, etc. The roads were really bad last year to the cottage because of major road work. Better roads now, but I'm still looking for a proper solution.

Otherwise, getting excited here in Ottawa too. Also, a new 165 owner near me who has yet to pick up his boat in Barrie. As soon as I can, I'll be bringing him out for a ride. :)
That’s a sweet project to fix the gel coat. I be scared I make it worse. So hats off to you. Looks pretty sweet to me. I’m still looking for a good wake surf board but everything seems to have sky rocketed with stupid covid. By the time you get all your needs for the water, I’m not gonna have any gas for the boat. Hahah
Today supposed to reach high of 18 which is amazing. But then weekend drops to 5.
Just can’t wait for that hot heat to hit us.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Yeah, I managed to get the wakeboard "used". Got the board, bindings and a thrown in tow rope for $400 CAD. It was in mint condition. Pretty happy with that.

Gel coat is a stupid amount of work frankly. Not sure I'll do that myself again. It was supposed to be a project to keep me busy during a temp layoff, but I ended up getting another contract immediately in the middle of the gel coat project and had to postpone it for two months. lol It's intimidating to do, but after talking to a guy who runs a business that does this stuff, he reassured me and he was right. It's all about taking it easy and doing tests on an area. But also, very important to gradually do each step in between. Rushing to the final polish, etc. won't work. But yeah, it came out pretty damn good as compared to what it was before.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
@Luc Lafreniere I posted on here about the same issue with rock chips and it didn’t seem like a lot of people had the issue. I ended up buying a towtector. It’s ugly & heavy but it works.
I came across that as an option. But thanks for the tip. It's one of the options I'm considering. I like the idea of having it on the trailer like the equivalent of a Bow Buddy or something similar. But I haven't decided yet. I find that product pretty expensive for what it is. I'm actually considering building a version of it myself. Still looking into it.

Yeah, I think it depends on a lot of factors. Speed, tire treads, if your vehicle has some sort of mud flap already, how far back the boat is behind the vehicle, etc. And of course, what type of roads you drive on. That's why I think a lot of people don't have the same experiences with rock chips.

Bohdiez

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length

h2ogrimsby

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
Thank you very much. hopefully there is no delays in picking it up and the weather keeps getting nicer and nicer.

Fabs195

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Hey everyone
We bought our boat later in the season last year (2014 195 HO) and we are definitely chomping at the bit to it it out. I went and picked it up out of storage last week and now all I can do is look at it I. The driveway. We also bought a ton of new water sports gear for this year as well. While I’m on here though I thought I’d ask about de-winterization. I am planning on doing it myself as I’ve owned a jet boat before and I’m fairly handy when it comes to this stuff but any tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Attachments

rpm242LS

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Enjoying my 285, a bit chilly still for foiling but will be warm soon. A few mods done so far - Better sound proofing (was pretty good stock but now its better!), 3 bank charger added. Thinking about adding a flexible solar panel to the hard top (very light and not permanent mount, flat so you would never see it) with charger hooked to the house battery.

Attachments

Bohdiez

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
Enjoying my 285, a bit chilly still for foiling but will be warm soon. A few mods done so far - Better sound proofing (was pretty good stock but now its better!), 3 bank charger added. Thinking about adding a flexible solar panel to the hard top (very light and not permanent mount, flat so you would never see it) with charger hooked to the house battery.
That’s some serious sound deadening stuff. Looks like an upside down kids mattress! Lol. Are you not worried about heat or air flow? Is it that loud?

rpm242LS

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The center section was already done, I did around the edges, back wall etc. There is already a rubber gasket seal all the way around the lid but it did not make a good enough full seal, now it does. I used some good automotive sound deadening panels that can take the heat and of course are non-combustible. As for air intake that was never changed, both sides have large vents that allow air flow into the engine for it to breathe. Here is what it was before. At surfing speeds you can now have a conversation at normal voice levels.

Attachments

Fabs195

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
That 285 a serious boat!!! I got my 195 out today for it’s first run of the season. Just a nice ride out on the lake today. Have to wait another month or two for any water sports as the water today was about 49F 🥶🥶

Attachments

rpm242LS

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That 285 a serious boat!!! I got my 195 out today for it’s first run of the season. Just a nice ride out on the lake today. Have to wait another month or two for any water sports as the water today was about 49F 🥶🥶
Love the tinted window look with that color, very nice!

Ianwelch001

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Did you have to get a permit to tow it?
I'm also going to be looking at the 285 for 2022. Impossible to find now.

rpm242LS

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Technically you're supposed to get a permit but I seriously doubt you would get pulled over for that. I never have bothered and most likely never will.

They are ready to get, depending on the state. Just a form to fill out online and between $30 and up to$100 I believe.