• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need some Internet Guru help with sound identification

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
SO I spend a lot of time at my desk during the day, and subsequently have Pandora running in the background to keep the silence from being deafening. I've started a channel based on "Ronald Jenkees". It's mostly instrumental/techno kind of stuff, and is great for being upbeat without lyrics to have to contend with my concentration.

A particular song keeps coming across the station, and I enjoy the song, however EVERY SINGLE TIME it's played, it reminds me of Sesame Street. I can't shake the memory of the sound and I can't find anything from Sesame Street to back up this super-wonky memory.

The song is "Look Up" by Zero 7 off the "When it falls" album.
Start at about 2:10 or so in this video. 2:19 through 3:19 really have "the sound" that I'm tagging in my head to Sesame Street.

If anyone can help me identify what that sound is, and somehow where I might have heard it in children's programming as a kid. It would solve literally MONTHS of searching for me.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
What the Harmonica playing? It seems to start at that time. And yes, they used a Harmonica in the sesame street theme as well.

Last edited:

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Many have recreated that theme with a Kazoo as well, but this is for sure a Harmonica. I would bet Blues Traveler could do a nice rendition of the Sesame Street theme! John Popper is a master of this instrument.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Maybe it's just the harmonica I'm hearing with a little bit of "high hat" in the background that make them sound familiar.

About 1:40 here sounds very similar. My memory is fuzzy at near 40, but I feel like it was a closer match than this:

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I hear the similarity of the cords in the harmonica. Creepy how that tune is still in the recesses of my mind many, many decades later. I want a cookie now too!

AlphaKap

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I think the harmonica sound is actually a melodica which is kind of like a mash between a reedless clarinet and a piano. It is a common instrament of jamaican dub...offshoot of reggae.

Augustus Pablo (king of the melodica) did a Sesame Street and maybe they were influenced by it?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow the melodica sounds just like the Zero 7 song.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The crazy part about the keyed instruments is that you get more distinct pitches. Sort of like comparing an according to this mix. A harmonica will many times blue the tones together by the nature of how it is played. Either way, I think we narrowed this down quite a bit. I hope that helps.