• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need some opinions on automating my ballast.

razdazbraz

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Calling on the automated ballast experts @swatski @KXCam22 @jcyamaharider @dan144k .

So I am about to pull the trigger and automate the ballast on my 2018 AR 210. Throwing the pumps over the side and all that is just too time consuming when I can automate this and fill on the go.

I've studied through all the builds of the above mentioned so I think I've got it down to how I want my system to work.

I will be venting (visual fill overflow) and draining through the side hull fittings so there's no need to physically watch bags fill or drain and can kill pumps accordingly. May add in the float switch & vacuum switches for auto shutoff on both fill and drain. Trying to not have to worry about burning up impellers constantly.

I really just want this to be as full proof and simple to use as possible. I realize the install is going to be the toughest part but I can handle that.

Any opinions would be appreciated before I pull the trigger on this.

Thank you!

BALLAST PLUMBING REV A-Model_001.jpgBALLAST PLUMBING ELECTRICAL REV A-Model_001.jpg

Attachments

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Sounds like you’re way ahead of me in the wiring dept, but I would give a huge shoutout for the WakeMakers.com pumps (jabsco ballast puppy) and associated wiring harnesses. Makes the wiring super easy, just have to coil up the extra wire and stow it somewhere. It might be worth a few dollars premium to save you on the wiring time.

Also, wire in a T valve to your starboard pump diagram and install a hose port in the indention where the anchor light pole goes in the SX models (right behind the rear seat above the swim deck seat). This way, when you add the swim deck ballast bag you can just plug the hose in there and fill with your internal pump rather than an over the side.

@jcyamaharider has some pics of his boat I’m sure. Or @RampRage. @RampRage installed 2 ports like that and uses 2 internal pumps to fill the deck bag.

razdazbraz

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sounds like you’re way ahead of me in the wiring dept, but I would give a huge shoutout for the WakeMakers.com pumps (jabsco ballast puppy) and associated wiring harnesses. Makes the wiring super easy, just have to coil up the extra wire and stow it somewhere. It might be worth a few dollars premium to save you on the wiring time.

Also, wire in a T valve to your starboard pump diagram and install a hose port in the indention where the anchor light pole goes in the SX models (right behind the rear seat above the swim deck seat). This way, when you add the swim deck ballast bag you can just plug the hose in there and fill with your internal pump rather than an over the side.

@jcyamaharider has some pics of his boat I’m sure. Or @RampRage. @RampRage installed 2 ports like that and uses 2 internal pumps to fill the deck bag.
I will definitely add the aux fill port for the transom bag, I’ve seen their setups and I like that idea a lot as well.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Honestly the electric ball valves to close the fill / drain valve are not needed. The pumps should take care of the water from filling the bag. I did install ball valves just incase I had to manually shut that section off. I had electric ball valves in one of my first installs, they work but went out also. The electric ball valves on the side hull vent could be check valves also.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Same here - I've been envisioning a way to fill/drain ballast more automatic ever since I bought my second Fat Sac... This is a pretty cool idea - where are you going to mount pumps and your bottom through-hull fittings?

razdazbraz

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Honestly the electric ball valves to close the fill / drain valve are not needed. The pumps should take care of the water from filling the bag. I did install ball valves just incase I had to manually shut that section off. I had electric ball valves in one of my first installs, they work but went out also. The electric ball valves on the side hull vent could be check valves also.
I added the ball valves on the fill lines to redirect drain flow to through hull vent fitting so I could visually see when the bag was empty (done pumping water) rather than watching the bag and have added the ball valve to the vent to prevent siphoning and the bags draining.

Check valves on the hull vent wouldn't prevent siphoning and the bags draining would they?

razdazbraz

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Same here - I've been envisioning a way to fill/drain ballast more automatic ever since I bought my second Fat Sac... This is a pretty cool idea - where are you going to mount pumps and your bottom through-hull fittings?
I would mount my pumps in the engine compartment side walls and i'll do my bottom through hull fittings like swatski did right on the bottom rear of the hull coming into the engine compartment.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I added the ball valves on the fill lines to redirect drain flow to through hull vent fitting so I could visually see when the bag was empty (done pumping water) rather than watching the bag and have added the ball valve to the vent to prevent siphoning and the bags draining.

Check valves on the hull vent wouldn't prevent siphoning and the bags draining would they?
If you just use check valves where you have ball valves the system will work as you intend without spending a bunch of money. Pretty much how I had my AR230 setup. I wish that thread was still around because I had it documented pretty well.

razdazbraz

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you just use check valves where you have ball valves the system will work as you intend without spending a bunch of money. Pretty much how I had my AR230 setup. I wish that thread was still around because I had it documented pretty well.
So in your opinion is the flow restriction from the check valves minimal enough to not worry about.

So if the boat is listed and the vent hose is on the top port of the bag wouldn’t that allow siphoning and the bag to just overflow and drain out through the check valve going to the side hill drain? Or is the pressure lock from the pump going to keep it from doing so?

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So in your opinion is the flow restriction from the check valves minimal enough to not worry about.

So if the boat is listed and the vent hose is on the top port of the bag wouldn’t that allow siphoning and the bag to just overflow and drain out through the check valve going to the side hill drain? Or is the pressure lock from the pump going to keep it from doing so?
Yep the easiness to fill is the trade off for speed, which you will not loose that much.

You will not loose that much water and the vent should be higher then the bag anyways.

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks real good.
I agree with using check valves rather than motorized ball valves.
( I used the inline round plastic check valves with a flapper for the check valve, still working great several years later.)
I used different style pumps so I had one pump to fill and one to empty per bag.
My biggest mistake in my opinion was using the 1-1/8 hose and fittings, when building I was unable to go to hardware store and purchase parts if needed, so I ordered some extra through WaveMaker. Minor problem.
Also the push on hoses locking hoses with o-rings and the red clips, work very nice. Well worth the money when building.
(I also consider my ballast pumps amd quick connects as emergency bilge pumps, hope it never gets to that point.)
Screenshot_20210720-205607_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20210720-205607_Chrome.jpg

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
So with parts on order, what are you looking at for three bags - about $800 per bag or so?

razdazbraz

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So with parts on order, what are you looking at for three bags - about $800 per bag or so?
I already have the 725lb transom bag, the 750lb ski locker bag and two off brand 250lb bags under port and starboard seats.

I’m going to upgrade the under seat bags to Fatsac 370lb bags and they run $155 each.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I already have the 725lb transom bag, the 750lb ski locker bag and two off brand 250lb bags under port and starboard seats.

I’m going to upgrade the under seat bags to Fatsac 370lb bags and they run $155 each.
Sorry, I meant for the hardware/wiring/pumps.

Also, @jcyamaharider do you have any pictures of how you plumbed the output hose for the transom bag on the rear deck? That, alone, would be worth doing IMHO. I feel like you wouldn't need an "empty" line either, correct? I just pop the bottom two valves and let it drain.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Sorry, I meant for the hardware/wiring/pumps.

Also, @jcyamaharider do you have any pictures of how you plumbed the output hose for the transom bag on the rear deck? That, alone, would be worth doing IMHO. I feel like you wouldn't need an "empty" line either, correct? I just pop the bottom two valves and let it drain.
I do, let me find the pictures and I will post them up.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Pics of the rear transom fill in here: