• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need suggestions for new Laptop

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know there are some pretty tech savvy guys and gals on this board, so I am looking for advice.

Over the years I have been slowly getting into video editing. It started with Windows Movie Maker putting together pictures and adding music in the background. Recently I have been getting videos on my phone and putting them together for youtube. Now with my recent addition of the GoPro camera I find our current home PC way too slow to handle the uploads, editing and publishing.

I got some video editing software on Amazon around Christmas but our computer can't handle it. The minimum system requirements are at least 1.8ghz i5 or i7 processor, 4GB of ram, minimum 1027 x 768 screen resolution and I would like a dvd burner as well.

I would like to keep this as cheap as possible since I will be the only one using the laptop (my kids all have ipads and my wife likes the PC). I want a laptop so I can take it with us on vacation and download the footage onto the computer at night.

I would prefer to use BestBuy because I can use 18 months same as cash deal which I think is better than taking the hit all at once. But I do have enough money to purchase from other places if they have the better deal.

What do you suggest???

Thanks!

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
I am not the most tech savy guy out there, but I can say with out a doubt that I love my Macbook Pro. I purchased it over 3 years ago and it still runs like the day I bought it. I even went out and purchased a iMac recently so we could have something that was more for the family. I understand that some may bash my OPINION because I sip the "apple" juice, but IMO I have no reason to switch back.

This one for 1299 has everything you required in your post. It does not look like they have a DVD burner any more, but that could be purchased externally fairly inexpensivly. This one will not be the fastest machine out there but thats the price trade off.

Just as an FYI, I went to best buy about a month ago to look at the iMac and they were offering the 18 months. I was not planning on buying for a while but I figured I would toss it out there that if they would do 36 months same as cash I would go ahead an purchase it today. The agreed and all it took was a blue shirted employee to call HSBC and switch it to 36. Good luck in your search.

https://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/specs-retina/

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Well, I'm a PC guy thru and thru. But funny about timing, I pick up my new iMac tomorrow! I am exhausted with constant issues revolving around security and attacks on the browser and operating system...so I am going Mac. I have iPads and iPhones, so not expecting a huge transition. I am told by my buddies, most diehard I need to edit video, audio, or other stuff is included in the iMac. @GiddYupJoe is correct. No included optical drice but the SuperDrive external is only $79 and I bought one of those too. Won't be long, and we won't use cd or DVD media. Good luck on the upgrade!

HawkTX

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've been a DELL guy for years, but I'm about to take the MacBook road too. I've heard nothing, but good things from my friends who have changed from Dell to MacBook.

steined

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Get something with a SSD. It might not have the ultimate storage you are looking for, but an external hard drive can handle that AND serve as a backup. SSD speeds up video editing a bunch.

I have a MacBook Air as my primary device(and am very happy with it), but if I were getting something for video editing and you already have software I'd get a desktop Quad Core i7 PC with SSD. I just built a top of the line desktop with everything but the case/motherboard from MicroCenter - i7 4770, Samsung 500GB SSD, 16GB RAM, Blu Ray burner, Windows 7 Pro 64bit for around $800 total (including case/mb). You could save $200 with a smaller SSD. If you don't have a monitor, keyboard, etc though, it makes it more expensive.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mac for movies and editing. The only benefit that I find with a PC is for the business setting that requires specific software, etc. We have a iMAC desktop and the kids do great things in terms of movie editing. My son has made his Lacrosse College Scouting video and it came out great.

You said that this would be a laptop so definitely consider an SSD drive. It is not susceptible to bumps/drops like a hard drive is. You will also like the instant on that you get with an SSD drive since they read faster than a traditional hard drive.

Dwane

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
PC vs MAC... kinda personal preference. I prefer Mac for video/photo editing... for business work i prefer a PC... below would be my bare minimum specs for either.

dual core i5 minimum (prefer i7)
8GB ram (prefer 16GB)
128GB SSD (prefer anything larger)

not too much of a concern on mac's but for PC's make sure you get a decent video card! a good midrange ATI or Nvidia should work.

also dont forget that on windows boxes you have to use the 64Bit OS to make use of memory above 4GB :winkingthumbsup"

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Been a Windows/Dell guy for years. . . . . Since that is what I use at work. But I recently purchased a mac mini and shortly after went with a MacBook Pro. It's true what they say. . . You get what you pay for, and Once you go Mac you never go back.

WickedPorter

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
MacBook Pro here, the 13" Retina with 16GB RAM. The thing flies, especially with the SSD. I use Parallels to run Windows 8.1 for work, and that works fantastically well (running triple screens at work in it's own "space" and works really smoothly!)

I'm pretty sure this machine would survive a nuclear apocalypse (along with the twinkies and cockroaches).

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just make the switch to mac. You won't regret it...

leeatmg

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well, I'm a PC guy thru and thru. But funny about timing, I pick up my new iMac tomorrow! I am exhausted with constant issues revolving around security and attacks on the browser and operating system...so I am going Mac. I have iPads and iPhones, so not expecting a huge transition. I am told by my buddies, most diehard I need to edit video, audio, or other stuff is included in the iMac. @GiddYupJoe is correct. No included optical drice but the SuperDrive external is only $79 and I bought one of those too. Won't be long, and we won't use cd or DVD media. Good luck on the upgrade!
If you have questions, let me know...I'm slammed lately but if I can help with the transition I will.

---Lee

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@leeatmg Thanks Lee! I may have a few. If you have any immediate tips, start a conversation with me. I would love to have some first hand help. I copied all my files onto a portable hard drive, and will have to change our email from pop3 to IMAP. Not exact about all that, but our ISP will help me with that part and copying any emails I want to export. Contacts...well, that's a sore subject! Clara broke
Her iPhone so I upgraded them to 5s's and contacts got merged and corrupted. Took hours to rework them. And
I dread messing with them again. But excited about having a nice BIG, fast, troublefree machine! It's the 27"!!!

drjames1107

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I went Mac 6 Years ago and I aint going back. lol

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
My wife just got a job as a Disney travel agent and needed a new computer. After about an hour or so in Best Buy, she bit the bullet and went with the Macbook Pro. There was quite a learning curve for her, but she said she would never go back to a PC.

Rigger

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A house full of Apples here! 21" I-Mac, 15" Macbook Pro, 2 iPads, 2 iPhones bla bla bla. We still have an old Gateway PC but it's pretty much a dust collector now.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I am on my way home with my new iMac! I may add a MacBook Pro if both the wife and I adapt. I signed up for one to one.

TechRider

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I stay away from Macs, I don't want to be restricted to their eco system. If you want something powerful but portable with a touchscreen check out the Lenovo U530. It's a 15" touch screen, I7 4th gen processor, plenty of ram, dedicated video card (good for editing) and a hybrid SSD hard drive. 849.99 4.3 out of 5 rating. I have configured 3 of these for family and friends and it's awesome.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ideapad-u530-touch-ultrabook-15-6-touch-screen-laptop-8gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive/3292137.p;jsessionid=E83DB5B0F3DF801B71DD8052EF6004B4.bbolsp-app02-119?id=1219090032188&skuId=3292137&st=u530&cp=1&lp=1

soggyshoes

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
There are a lot of terms that people will throw around including the system requirements for your software. While I am not an expert, I have found that surprisingly few people actually understand the meanings and reasons behind these requirements. So rather that clean my office like I should be doing here is my best explanation of the key components of a computer. Hopefully in doing this you can make your own better informed decision. These key components will be the same for both Macs and PCs. They are the type of storage memory (hard drive), the architecture, the processor, the amount and type of RAM memory, and the video card:

• For your storage memory (think of this as your file cabinets or bookshelves where all the information is stored) an SSD main hard drive is a must. SSD drives are basically a big version of the little USB jump drives. Compared to traditional (disk) hard drives SSDs can be a 100 times faster, access information in 1/10 the time, are more durable, use less power, are quieter, are way lighter, and can be accessed even when the machine is being moved (or on a bouncing boat). Some of the higher end laptops will have a SSD main drive with a larger disk hard drive as a secondary. I think this is a good option to get the most storage and performance for the price.
  • I don't know about basic video editing but for most processes 64-bit architecture will be much faster than 32-bit architecture this is also referred to as 'bus size' or 'width' in computing. Think of the architecture as the width or amount of lanes in the roads that go from one component to another inside your computer. A 64-bit system can carry 64 bits of information at once (in whats called a packet) where 32-bit systems can only carry 32 bits of information in a packet. For a lot of things this speed will not be noticed, like surfing the web. If you have a 8 lane highway and only 3 cars are on in at a time it wont be any faster than on a 4 lane highway. Heavy manipulation of high definition video will use a lot of highway lanes. Another advantage of 64-bit architecture is that it can handle more RAM memory (see below). I would get 64-bit architecture. Why buy dated technology on something that already becomes outdated so quickly?
  • You also will want an i5 or i7 core processor. The processor, sometimes called the chip or CPU, is the brains of the computer. The i-series chip is a trademark of Intel, but as they are the largest chip maker for most PCs and all Macs this is commonly used. The i5 and i7 processors are quad core where each core can kind of work independently and simultaneously. It is kind of like have four little brains working together or on different tasks at the same time. This does make them exponentially faster than single or dual core processors. They also tend to have more internal cashe memory which is like being able to have more information off the top of your head (and less need to look commonly used things up). The main difference between the i5 and i7 processors is that the i7 can come with more of this cashe memory and it has the ability to pretend that it splits cores and kind of acting like it has 8 cores instead of 4. This virtual splitting is called hyperthreading. Hyperthreading can speed up the processing but not always as it does this as a cost of processing information at half the speed of when it is not hyperthreading.
  • The RAM memory is a faster temporary memory than the storage memory but unlike the storage memory it forgets everything once the power is shut off. Think of RAM memory like having the book with the information open in front of you. Where storage memory is like having to get up and go to the bookshelf to get the information. Obviously, the more the better.... up to a point. If you only need to remember 10 things but have the capacity to remember 500 you wont really recall those things faster that someone who can only remember 30 things. That being said, for most laptops, their max is low enough that... the more RAM memory the better. Also 32-bit architecture can only be aware of (or register) 4 GB or RAM memory (I think it is actually more like 3.5 GB but memory today is really only sold in terms of whole GB). A lot of software can really take advantage of twice the RAM memory than that. There is also types of RAM memory that relate to the speed of the memory. You will see things like SDRAM, DDR, DDR2, DDR3, and soon DDR4 RAM. SDRAM is really the structure of memory and they are all SDRAM so don't worry about it. The DDR 1, 2, and 3 refers to how often (or fast) the memory can take in and send out information. The bigger the number the faster (more times per clock cycle). The current standard is DDR3 but DDR4 is going to be showing up any time now. Right now any decent new computer should be coming with DDR3 RAM so just worry about how much.
  • Finally there is the video card. This is where the price can really jump up and really distinguishes the middle from the high-end in laptops. Most laptops use what is called an integrated video card. This means that the brains and memory that control the video are built into the part of the computer where all the components connect (the motherboard) or even built right into the processor (the brain of the computer). This is much, much cheaper for the manufactures to make and also usually allows the video to share the memory from the RAM or the processors cashe memory rather than have its own. You won't notice it if you are watching a YouTube video or a movie off a DVD as these things don't demand much. But this sharing can really slow graphic intensive activities such as high definition video rendering down. An integrated video card is like when my wife doesn't order her own meal because she will 'just have a bite of mine'. The result is that neither one of us end up satisfied. A distinct or dedicated video card will have its own memory and almost always has a faster higher core brain. Remember integrated video is done for the sole purpose of lowering cost and since most people use a computer primarily for surfing the web or using software like Office they don't notice the difference and this works out fine. For gamers, multimedia people, and the software I use a distinct video card is critical. One of my jobs is doing architectural design. My software needs at least 2 GB of dedicated video memory. This is the tough one for recommendations because to get a dedicated video the price jumps up so much as they are only available on the high-end laptops. For your needs I would not recommend a touch screen as it will cost significantly more and they often have lower video resolution.
Mac vs PC:
Personally, I think you get a lot more for the money and flexibility with a PC than a Mac. But PC's have a different cost. That flexibility is really only useful if you are tech savvy otherwise it can easily be a liability in terms of getting and using the right hardware configuration. The other cost with a PC is that Macs 'just work'. My wife recently switched to Macs both at home and at work and she is so much happier. In her words, she doesn't want to have to spend all her time figuring out what to do, she just wants to do it. For me, I don't like that Mac always thinks it knows what I want and what is best for me. I want to figure it out and make it work the way I want. (Maybe I am a little bit of a control freak.) To get all the top hardware mentioned above will probably be 33% cheaper than for the same hardware in a Mac.
Another issue given what you wanted is that none of the new Macs come with an internal CD/DVD burner or even drive. Most PCs still do. This means that if you are playing or burning a lot of discs you will have this very awkward separate cable and box to always contend with and the sleek pretty selling point of a Mac is lost.
I think every multimedia professionals I know has a Mac. Now keep in mind they all have really, really expensive top of the line Macs. It seems to be the one professional area where Macs rule.
Macs do have the ability to run Windows but not the other way around. I believe there is a software called Parallels that allows you to have a virtual PC on a Mac or as the new Macs use an Intel chip there is something called Boot Camp that allows you to 'dual boot' the computer. This essentially allows a Dr. Jekyll/ Mr. Hyde thing where you can turn on the computer as either a Mac or a PC.

I personally like Toshiba Laptops (I build my own desktops). I have had a couple of Toshiba's and have been really happy with both the laptops and the customer support. Toshiba does offer a 3 year no questions, as long as you have the body warranty service. From personal experience, I can tell you this warranty is worth it. I will be buying my business partner a new Toshiba laptop in the next month or so.

Best Buy sells Toshiba laptops so you can get your financing deal.

Sorry for the long post but I had a lot of procrastinating to do. I do hope it was helpful.
Soggyshoes

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow thanks for the responses everyone! I have tried Mac's and editing on a Mac but I just can't bring myself to like them. It just seems to me that they aren't very user friendly. Even my iphone I have for work is crazy to try and figure out when compared to my android I use for my personal cell phone. And I hate being limited to what Apple thinks is good for me. I don't doubt for a second that they are reliable, I just like more flexibility in my technology.

@soggyshoes that is a FANTASTIC POST!!! Thank you for explaining the lingo in terms that I can understand. You have some great points and I REALLY appreciate the time that you spent writing that.

Interesting side note... I accepted a new job at my company on Monday and I found out today that I will be getting a laptop as part of the gig. SO I think I will wait a little while and see what kind of laptop I end up with. If it meets all of the requirements I am thinking that I will just buy a 500gb external hard drive to keep my personal stuff on and use it to edit my videos when I'm not at work.

Thanks again everyone. You rock! :winkingthumbsup"