• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need Tips on clearing a bearing buddy zerk

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
One of my bearing buddy zerks is not allowing grease into the bearing. My current plan is to tap the bearing buddy off and install a new zerk and then tap the bearing buddy back in. Many of you here are way more mechanically inclined than me when it comes to working in the garage and I was wondering if you had any tips to simply clear the zerk with or without the bearing buddy being removed.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Not sure about your bearing buddy but most zerk fittings are threaded in place. Use a socket, my guess between 1/4" and 3/8", to remove the zerk fitting and the soak in wd-40 or some penetration solution. You can then test the zerk before reinstalling.

edit: you can buy replacement zerk fittings at most auto part stores.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Not sure about your bearing buddy but most zerk fittings are threaded in place. Use a socket, my guess between 1/4" and 3/8", to remove the zerk fitting and the soak in wd-40 or some penetration solution. You can then test the zerk before reinstalling.

edit: you can buy replacement zerk fittings at most auto part stores.
Ok thanks, I'll get after it tonight and see what type of zerk it is. I've read that some are just tapped in, instead of screwed in. Hope that isn't the case for this one. I'll take pictures for posterity as well.

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
It could be the zert ball is stuck. You can use the edge of a small flat screwdriver and push it in, it will usually open up.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I tried unscrewing the zerk and it just spins. I'll try jc6275's suggestion before I tap off the bearing buddy.

Attachments

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Well... I tried pushing on the zerk ball and it seemed to move freely. I then removed the bb and took out the zerk. To my surprise it was working fine. Then I screwed it back in to the bb and tested again. Still working fine. I tapped the bb back in and must have put 100 pumps in and still no overflow. Time for a new bearing buddy I guess.

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Well... I tried pushing on the zerk ball and it seemed to move freely. I then removed the bb and took out the zerk. To my surprise it was working fine. Then I screwed it back in to the bb and tested again. Still working fine. I tapped the bb back in and must have put 100 pumps in and still no overflow. Time for a new bearing buddy I guess.
From the pic it looks like you were very low on grease, did you notice the black part that the zert is on moving out at all while you were filling it?

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
From the pic it looks like you were very low on grease, did you notice the black part that the zert is on moving out at all while you were filling it?
No it was loose the whole time. I've put over 100 pumps into that thing. when I took off the bearing buddy there was a lot of grease behind it which makes me think I should have seen an outward movement. The spring holding the zerk in looked fine. The grease gun still has lots of grease as I tested it out after the 100 pumps. Something just doesn't add up.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'll add that my other 3 bearing buddies worked fine. After a few pumps I started seeing movement and at around 5 to 10 solid pumps grease came out the overflow hole.

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
No it was loose the whole time. I've put over 100 pumps into that thing. when I took off the bearing buddy there was a lot of grease behind it which makes me think I should have seen an outward movement. The spring holding the zerk in looked fine. The grease gun still has lots of grease as I tested it out after the 100 pumps. Something just doesn't add up.
That is weird... 100 pumps you should have definitely seen movement.... Never seen that before.. OK !!! I'm stumped..

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Look on the back side of the hub and see if there is about 100 pumps of grease back there...

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Look on the back side of the hub and see if there is about 100 pumps of grease back there...
I was looking for it to come oozing out but didn't see anything. I'll get all the way behind it tomorrow morning.

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
They are so inexpensive if I have trouble with them I just replace them. I keep a couple of spares in my boat tool bag.

sstegh

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I had a similar problem this summer. After cusing out the zerk for a while I discovered the plunger in my greece gun was Broken.