• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need to replace Polk radio on swim deck again; need recommendations please

DJ Bellin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have a 2015 242 LS and after 4 years of ownership, this will be the second time I have had to replace the Polk radio on the swim deck. The knob just doesn’t like salt water and despite keeping the cover on all the time and never really using it, it has failed again.

I have an aftermarket JL sound system with four sets of MX650’s, powered with a 800x8, two 10IB5’s powered with a 600x1. Shoutout to Odin @ earmark for squaring me away.

I have two questions.

1. is the JL MediaMaster compatible with the connext? This seems like the logical choice to interface with everything but I donot want to lose the ability to adjust the sound via the connext screen while underway.

2.if I am replacing the radio anyway, is there an aftermarket Bluetooth connector that sounds better than the stock one? 95 percent of my music is played over my phone while anchored. The sound quality of the stock unit is less than ideal.

Any recommendations or experiences are welcome. Thanks again for your time.

Compatico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
1. is the JL MediaMaster compatible with the connext? This seems like the logical choice to interface with everything but I donot want to lose the ability to adjust the sound via the connext screen while underway.
As long as it's NMEA 2000 compatible, it should work fine. But if you're having salt corrosion issues, I'd recommend putting a head unit inside the boat somewhere safe, like near the dash or inside the glovebox instead of the swim platform.
2.if I am replacing the radio anyway, is there an aftermarket Bluetooth connector that sounds better than the stock one? 95 percent of my music is played over my phone while anchored. The sound quality of the stock unit is less than ideal.
I have an older unit without BT in my current boat so can't comment. BT works great in my truck though so it could be salt issues too?

DJ Bellin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The radio is factory installed with the head unit inside of the boat and the interface module is located in the swim deck area as shown in the pic below with the cover on. The issue is the knob on the radio in the second pic and get corroded from the salt water every couple years in my case.

Attachments

Compatico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The radio is factory installed with the head unit inside of the boat and the interface module is located in the swim deck area as shown in the pic below with the cover on. The issue is the knob on the radio in the second pic and get corroded from the salt water every couple years in my case.
Are you sure the "remote" at the swim platform is really a remote? They call it a remote on all of the boats, when in fact most of the newer boats have the head at the swim platform and a remote and/or Connext screen up front to control the head. They use NMEA2000 com cable to control the head from the Connext screens. I'm not sure what year they made the change, but most newer boats have a single head unit at the rear.

If you do have a true remote at the rear, then you could just disconnect it if you can live without it, and the head unit will continue to function just fine. Now if you can't live without...

DJ Bellin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Are you sure the "remote" at the swim platform is really a remote? They call it a remote on all of the boats, when in fact most of the newer boats have the head at the swim platform and a remote and/or Connext screen up front to control the head. They use NMEA2000 com cable to control the head from the Connext screens. I'm not sure what year they made the change, but most newer boats have a single head unit at the rear.

If you do have a true remote at the rear, then you could just disconnect it if you can live without it, and the head unit will continue to function just fine. Now if you can't live without...
That is an excellent point, my boat is currently in the shop for servicing so I can’t verify personally. I was just informed by the dealer that it required replacing. If it is just the functionality of the “remote” by the swim deck, then it can stay broken in my opinion as I never really use it. I either use the app on my phone or via the connex.

I appreciate the advice and I will look into it.

DJ Bellin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That is an excellent point, my boat is currently in the shop for servicing so I can’t verify personally. I was just informed by the dealer that it required replacing. If it is just the functionality of the “remote” by the swim deck, then it can stay broken in my opinion as I never really use it. I either use the app on my phone or via the connex.

I appreciate the advice and I will look into it.
So it is a true remote at the rear. I am going to look at Removing the remote unit and replacing with a table mount like the one that is on the opposite side of the swim deck platform. I will potentially attempt to replace the remote unit at the seat area (up one level) on the platform that I found on the forums, but I still think the remote is going to o continue to fail and may not be worth the effort to keep
Replacing.

anyone have any recommendations for an improved Bluetooth module? Sound quality and playback is ok but I know better Bluetooth standards exist on newer radios/replacement modules. Also, since replacing the head unit and maintaining compliance with the connect unit isn’t an option, I want to at least improve sound quality for iPhone streaming.

Compatico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So it is a true remote at the rear. I am going to look at Removing the remote unit and replacing with a table mount like the one that is on the opposite side of the swim deck platform.
Ok a table mount is a good idea. Just make sure you add an aluminum plate or similar to spread out the weight and load so the fiberglass doesn't crack.
anyone have any recommendations for an improved Bluetooth module?
Sorry still can't help with that one.

AEmedic

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Regardless of what they call the swim deck unit, it has features that the Connext does not. For instance, the only way to remove paired phones is through the rear unit. I believe the rear unit is actually the main radio interface.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length