• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Neither engine will turn over

IndyJetBoater

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have a 2016 Yamaha 242XE. I just got it out of storage and put the batteries in. The power is on and everything appears normal on the screen but neither engine will turn over. It acts like the lanyard is not hooked into the kill switch. The cleanout port cover is also closed. Thoughts on what this could be??

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I have a 2016 Yamaha 242XE. I just got it out of storage and put the batteries in. The power is on and everything appears normal on the screen but neither engine will turn over. It acts like the lanyard is not hooked into the kill switch. The cleanout port cover is also closed. Thoughts on what this could be??
throttles in neutral? Slightly out of center will lock everything out.

David Martin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Make sure all cables are hooked up proper....................does any thing else work like blower , nav lights ect......

IndyJetBoater

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yes, blower and lights work.

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Bad fuse? Maybe something from the ignition? Do you have an inline use anywhere on your leads going to the battery? If you lift the clean out hatch, and have somebody hold down the kill switch plunger, will it start to turn over? Some people have said they needed to adjust the travel of the kill switch under the hatch periodically.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Does it crank at all?

David Martin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Clean out Safety hatch switch(,most likely) Lanard kill(next on the list) or the neutral safety switch.....it usually one of these 3. The Shifter switch is usually when both shifters are in gear..........one switch each shifter the odds of both switches going out at same time rare...........LAST my ignition has 2 circuit breakers at the ignition key location both can trip if their has been an electrical problem.

Sometimes hooking up batt cables not in the proper order can cause an electrical surge and trip breakers and blow fuses........... Positive(red) first followed by ground cable that way if ground sparks its on the ground side and the electronics are insulated by the battery.

Good Luck

Last edited:

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Be sure all cables of the batteries was hooked up. There is a small black cable that if not hooked up will cause this scenario. Happened to me years ago. Just triple check you have all cables hooked up and there is one that has a fuse and make sure it’s not blown.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
No crank at all is either dead batteries, a main fuse, or clean out hatch. Engines will crank but not turn over with lanyard.

Based on your details I’d say you didn’t hook up batteries correctly, either one cable is missing or you blew a fuse in the process of hooking up.