• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Nesting rules and courtesy

gthh

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I started running the boat on Lake Erie (Niagara River) and finding a mooring spot on piers next to restaurants and Riverworks are near impossible. I often see boats nesting but never tied up to a boat that I did not know the owner. Any suggestions?...

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've seen this before and what you have to consider is, what if the guy inside of you wants to leave? When I have watched this at waterside bars and restaurants there is one of 2 things present. 1) the boats know each other, 2)there is a dockside attendant that helps tie and untie boats almost like a valet guy. Usually a teenager making minimum wage and tips. Last time I was at a bar I saw this and the dock attendant helped pass lines so the inside boat could leave and retire the outside boat/s.

gthh

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks BigN8. I never knew if there was some universal understanding when you tie up when boats are nested that i did not know. I guess you have to belong to the same “Navy” for that privilege

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Here we call it rafting up. We used to occasionally raft up with an unknown. Usually at a transient mooring ball. If someone in the middle wants out they handle the lines and fenders. A word of caution though. Do you really want to let someone you don't know and possibly has had a few drinks move your boat around? The other issue is the guy in the middle generally has to traipse across several boats to get to his. I saw a party of 4, with a dog walk across several boats to get to his. Every step they took was across seat cushions. I no longer raft up unless it's with friends.

gthh

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yep, I see were this I going. Thanks Gym and BigN8. Everyone is a bit wiser about nesting (rafting).