• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

New 195 or 6-8 year old 242?

Which boat to buy

• New 195S

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • 2013/2014 242

Votes: 5 45.5%

• Total voters

relevante

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hello all,

We're about to jump into our first boat and I'm pretty sold on the Yamaha lineup. I was pretty much ready to pull the trigger on one of a few 2013 - 2014 242 models that I've found in the area when the 2021 prerelease program was announced. Two dealers that I'd previously talked to contacted me, and it seems like I could get right in line for the new 195S that I was hoping to buy when I initially started shopping, before learning they were all sold out.

So now I'm faced with a dilemma: smaller boat new or bigger boat used? Up front cost of both appears to be roughly equal.

I'm sure it's an apples to oranges kind of comparison, but I honestly don't know enough about boats to really know for sure what I'm getting or missing on either side.

We're a family of 4 with two small but quickly growing kids (6 and 7). The idea of boating definitely gained momentum because of COVID and the lockdowns, social distancing, etc, but we gave the idea some consideration last summer too, so it's not entirely that. Our initial goal though is of course just something fun to do outside with the kids, cruising the nearby river and lakes, finding spots to swim, doing some tubing, and hopefully transitioning at some point into skiing and/or boarding (snow skiing has been our big family activity in that time of year, so it seems like a natural way to continue that energy throughout the summer).

I'm sure at some point we'll have other kids or maybe another family on the boat hanging out, but we're not really party people or anything anymore, so in terms of interior space, the 195 felt ample. But I wonder how advantageous the other nice things about a bigger boat (better ride, etc). I could also see eventually possibly wanting to occasionally go cruise around in the Long Island Sound or who knows, maybe just offshore in the Atlantic on a really nice day once we've gotten more experience on the water. How much of this is doable/a good idea in a 195 or a 242?

I'm plenty mechanically inclined to be able to research and fix basically anything that would go wrong with an older boat, but I'm also busy enough that I'd rather not have to. I'm a little worried that a 2013 boat is just on the edge of becoming an ongoing project to keep going. I'm fine with, and would sometimes enjoy, an occasional mechanical project, I just don't want to end up in a situation where it's constantly in need of something. How are these boats generally in this regard, provided I find one that was well maintained?

Finally, as a first time boat owner, is a 195 going to be easier to manage for things like getting on and off the trailer, etc? I've had control of a boat once or twice, but only on the open water. I'm comfortable with trailers and have a full size pickup to tow with, so I'm fine with that side of things, but a touch less confident about the first few times out with the boat itself, although I'm confident it'll become second nature pretty quickly.

So anyway, it feels pretty much like a tossup between the two. My bias one way or the other changes moment to moment. Any thoughts on the above or other advantages/disadvantages one way or the other that I'm not considering?

Finally, it's also worth mentioning that we're renting an 18' bowrider of some sort on one of the finger lakes on Sunday as a test run to both be sure the whole thing is something that we're as into as we think we will be, and to get at least some sort of a baseline experience of size, power, etc.

Thanks.

The biggest difference is space. Space to store your stuff while out, and space needed to store the boat in length and height. Since you have a truck, towing is not a huge issue, and backing a bigger trailer is actually easier than a short one. (you may not see that difference between these two)

Driving the boat, is a non issue. One gets used to whatever they drive. We have two girls in our group that went from our 20' SeaDoo to our 242LS with no issues. Two sticks confused them at first, but with a throttle lock, it's one stick and two keys. They both handle them like a boss going on/off the trailer or towing for watersports. They are 16/19.

I was in the same situation when we sold our SeaDoo. I was shopping newer 210/212x boats and a loaded 242LS came up. It was a no brainer once you get on it in the water. If you look at it on the trailer, the size is overwhelming. But dockside, it's like a pontoon that goes really fast. Lots of room for all the crap the family will want to bring with.

The thing that got my wife was capacity for people. Even if we don't entertain often, we never had to think about it, or worry if someone showed up with an extra, as they always do. We went from a boat that held 8, but was comfortable with 6/gear. To a boat that holds 11, but is comfortable with 10 and gear. Let alone, we can tow any board or any combination of tubes with a full load of people on board.

Go ride in one if possible. But you will never be sorry you bought a 195 series boat. For my money, knowing how reliable the boats are, I want bigger and broken in.

Good luck!

When we bought ours we were looking at the 210 or 230. Like you a family of 4 but take out others occasionally, usually another family of 4-5 so it was pretty easy to choose the 230. I don't think I've ever heard a boater complain because there's too much room. My vote is go bigger.

Hello all,

We're about to jump into our first boat and I'm pretty sold on the Yamaha lineup. I was pretty much ready to pull the trigger on one of a few 2013 - 2014 242 models that I've found in the area when the 2021 prerelease program was announced. Two dealers that I'd previously talked to contacted me, and it seems like I could get right in line for the new 195S that I was hoping to buy when I initially started shopping, before learning they were all sold out.

So now I'm faced with a dilemma: smaller boat new or bigger boat used? Up front cost of both appears to be roughly equal.

I'm sure it's an apples to oranges kind of comparison, but I honestly don't know enough about boats to really know for sure what I'm getting or missing on either side.

We're a family of 4 with two small but quickly growing kids (6 and 7). The idea of boating definitely gained momentum because of COVID and the lockdowns, social distancing, etc, but we gave the idea some consideration last summer too, so it's not entirely that. Our initial goal though is of course just something fun to do outside with the kids, cruising the nearby river and lakes, finding spots to swim, doing some tubing, and hopefully transitioning at some point into skiing and/or boarding (snow skiing has been our big family activity in that time of year, so it seems like a natural way to continue that energy throughout the summer).

I'm sure at some point we'll have other kids or maybe another family on the boat hanging out, but we're not really party people or anything anymore, so in terms of interior space, the 195 felt ample. But I wonder how advantageous the other nice things about a bigger boat (better ride, etc). I could also see eventually possibly wanting to occasionally go cruise around in the Long Island Sound or who knows, maybe just offshore in the Atlantic on a really nice day once we've gotten more experience on the water. How much of this is doable/a good idea in a 195 or a 242?

I'm plenty mechanically inclined to be able to research and fix basically anything that would go wrong with an older boat, but I'm also busy enough that I'd rather not have to. I'm a little worried that a 2013 boat is just on the edge of becoming an ongoing project to keep going. I'm fine with, and would sometimes enjoy, an occasional mechanical project, I just don't want to end up in a situation where it's constantly in need of something. How are these boats generally in this regard, provided I find one that was well maintained?

Finally, as a first time boat owner, is a 195 going to be easier to manage for things like getting on and off the trailer, etc? I've had control of a boat once or twice, but only on the open water. I'm comfortable with trailers and have a full size pickup to tow with, so I'm fine with that side of things, but a touch less confident about the first few times out with the boat itself, although I'm confident it'll become second nature pretty quickly.

So anyway, it feels pretty much like a tossup between the two. My bias one way or the other changes moment to moment. Any thoughts on the above or other advantages/disadvantages one way or the other that I'm not considering?

Finally, it's also worth mentioning that we're renting an 18' bowrider of some sort on one of the finger lakes on Sunday as a test run to both be sure the whole thing is something that we're as into as we think we will be, and to get at least some sort of a baseline experience of size, power, etc.

Thanks.
@relevante ......we just bought a 2020 SX195. It's a great boat with more room than we need BUT it just the two of us 80% of the time - the kids have left :) and when we have "company" it's just the 13 year old grand daughter and a friend or two adult friends. I agree 100% with @biffdotorg and @Babin Farms ......get the bigger boat. As has been said - I have never heard someone say they didn't like more HP or more room! Your kids are growing and will want to bring friends, you are thinking of getting out into some "bigger" water. A bigger boat will handle the "bigger" water and twin engines give you some extra safety margin. You may not have much time as Yamaha jet boats are selling fast these days but at least try to get copies or see the service records. IF something seems amiss ask for a download either to read or have it printed that shows the boats data history - like are there any OVERHEAT codes listed and what were the RPM bands during break-in.....WOT in the first few hours would mean, to me, that the boat was flogged. If the boat was owned by a couple of senior citizens with a cat you are probably ok. Good luck and have fun deciding! :cool:

My advice...Buy your second boat first. Lots of truth to that. 99% (not proven) typically trade up and buy bigger. LOL, I did more than once.

I'd get the larger boat. Sounds like you're more than capable to handle it.

I have an AR192 I just purchased and use regularly in Long Island Sound. It does fine as its usually just me and my wife but if you're looking to go out with more people and possibly in the atlantic, you will definitely appreciate the larger boat. Mines a 2014 and was owned by someone who took great care of it so its still like new. 2013-2014 is still still fairly new for a boat that was cared for and trailered and usually a better value than buying new.

We're on our second 19ft'er. Hopefully moving up to a 24/25ft this winter.

With growing boys, and a growing friends circle on the water we're wanting the extra space for persons. We can get 4 adults and 4 kids on the 190, and it's adequate, but not super comfy. A 242 would be a much better solution.

We didn't have the tow rating, or the storage budget when we bought. So the 190 came home with us. Towed it was a Trailblazer SS, and stored it in the garage. Now I have a fullsize pickup, and a larger budget to afford offsite storage. The boys (2 and 9) are starting to want to bring friends, as are the wife and I, so the bigger boat is in our future.

I was very fortunate in that I got a decent size boat right off the bat. If you've got 4 kids, I really think you're gonna want that extra space. Once you're out there with everybody's gear/food/drinks/etc, and realize your compartments don't have much empty space, after cramming all the floating tubes, floating pads, pool noodles, fenders, anchors, air pump, table legs, ropes, life jackets, towels, etc., you'll realize how precious that space really is. I am also a very big proponent of twin engines, as it gives you a "backup", in case of some kind of failure. Just be sure to read up on how to clamp off the coolant line for whatever engine is being towed...

Regarding docking, I've never docked a single engine jet boat. I've done single props, and my twin jet, but I'll tell you this: I'll take my twin engine for maneuvering around docks all day long over a single engine anything. Once you get used to the luxury of splitting the drives, and spinning around like a top, you don't ever want to go back. I'd take a 6-8 year old(er) twin 23-24 footer over a single 19 footer every time.

We're on our second 19ft'er. Hopefully moving up to a 24/25ft this winter.

With growing boys, and a growing friends circle on the water we're wanting the extra space for persons.

The boys (2 and 9) are starting to want to bring friends, as are the wife and I, so the bigger boat is in our future.

I am part of the Add-A-Dad club and met my wife and her then 5 year old daughter 14 years ago. If I learned anything, kids take care of themselves when they bring a friend of the same age along! This is very true on the boat. A child with a friend is entertained much longer than you trying to entertain them. Everyone is happier with a friend.

This also holds true now, that they are 19 or greater. Us adults need friends (enablers) and now we have designated drivers. Ahh, full circle.

Back