• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New 255 ID...issues

Kurt Film

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Impulse
Boat Length
First things first, picked up a 255 ID with twin 200's about 3 weeks ago. It's seafoam green with what was supposed to be the platinum interior from 2018. I ordered the boat in fall of 2018 and they hadn't updated their order forms to the new premium dark brown interior new for 2019. But as I looked around online, I was seeing the new premium interior for 2019 was dark brown. Since it was still 2018 when I ordered, I asked if they could still make the light tan/white premium (known as the platinum) interior with the diamond stitching. Scarab ok'd the order with the custom interior.

Fast forward to when I picked up the boat. They gave me a knock off version of the platinum interior (see attached pictures). I strongly considered walking away from the boat and refusing to take it, but the dealership put in writing for me that they would get me the interior I ordered. They suggested that I could use the boat all boating season and then bring it back in the fall and have the new interior installed then so that I didn't have to lose time on the water.

That said, it's now been over 3 weeks and there's been no word back from Scarab on if they'll even acknowledge their mistake. I think part of that is the dealership I'm going through as communication was great up until the time I took delivery. Now it's a lot of "...there's been no word yet, but their [Scarab's] leadership is meeting to discuss the issue. Should know something by Monday. I'll call you either way with an update.". Then I get no call. I send follow up emails and nothing. So the dealership has me worried a bit.

Enough about all that. Overall, I really like the boat. It looks awesome, it's roomy, everything works when I turn it one. But that's where the good stops. This is the part that I'm wondering if any other Scarab owners are dealing with....

The overall quality seems to be lacking throughout. The day I got the boat I noticed the boat cover had tearing/fraying around a couple of the snaps. The sewing on the botched interior job is bad. For an $80k boat it's disappointing. Seams aren't done well and there are a lot parts of the seats and bolsters that aren't finished off well....like the padding underneath doesn't fill the cover that was sewn to go over it. Overll it's ok, but again for an $80k boat I expected it to be very nice. Couple the poor sewing with the wrong interior and it's a major let down.

Another thing I noticed once putting it in the water is it pulls really hard to the right at speed. So I have to crank the wheel between a quarter turn and half turn to the left just to keep the boat going straight. Also, when going north of 30 mph, if I hit any sort of waves...I mean it could be super light chop...just enough to get the boat to bounce a little bit the engine hatch will pop open (assuming no one is sitting on it) and it just about gives everyone onboard a heart attack. Another thing I've noticed is that in the driver's seat, there is something from the gauge cluster that is squeaking when moving at any speed through any chop. It sounds like chunks of styrofoam being rubbed together or twisted. You know that obnoxious squeaking sound it makes??? That's what I get in my face while driving. I can't duplicate the noise when on the boat lift. It's super aggravating.

So I only have 3 hours on the boat and have these issues. I'm concerned with what I'll find moving forward. This is the first brand new boat I've ever bought. I'm wondering if these issues are typical of new boats, typical of new Scarab's, or did I just get a shitty boat?

I'm interested to hear other's feedback who have bought new Scarabs lately to see if you are satisfied with their quality or again, if these are relatively minor things that will ultimately be no issue down the road.

Attachments

Last edited:

Elio195HOI

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Other
Quality Control inst the best at Scarab and like most dealers, they are your best friend up until you sign the dotted line. The rear seat opening is an common issue, The dealer should be able to easily fix, just misaligned.

Dan McFarlane

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I am assuming you have twin engines. There is a setting for the engines so that the power is distributed evenly between the two. Make sure that is on or that could be the reason you will pull to one side. From experience I know mine is sensitive to strong winds, meaning when traveling west with a north wind I put right steering into it to keep a straight line. As for the overall quality, mine is a 2017 255 wake edition and I could be happier with it. Only had one major problem with cavitation that turned out to be a scarab assembly issue that was easily fixed by the dealer.

Pit Stop

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 G
Boat Length
First things first, picked up a 255 ID with twin 200's about 3 weeks ago. It's seafoam green with what was supposed to be the platinum interior from 2018. I ordered the boat in fall of 2018 and they hadn't updated their order forms to the new premium dark brown interior new for 2019. But as I looked around online, I was seeing the new premium interior for 2019 was dark brown. Since it was still 2018 when I ordered, I asked if they could still make the light tan/white premium (known as the platinum) interior with the diamond stitching. Scarab ok'd the order with the custom interior.

Fast forward to when I picked up the boat. They gave me a knock off version of the platinum interior (see attached pictures). I strongly considered walking away from the boat and refusing to take it, but the dealership put in writing for me that they would get me the interior I ordered. They suggested that I could use the boat all boating season and then bring it back in the fall and have the new interior installed then so that I didn't have to lose time on the water.

That said, it's now been over 3 weeks and there's been no word back from Scarab on if they'll even acknowledge their mistake. I think part of that is the dealership I'm going through as communication was great up until the time I took delivery. Now it's a lot of "...there's been no word yet, but their [Scarab's] leadership is meeting to discuss the issue. Should know something by Monday. I'll call you either way with an update.". Then I get no call. I send follow up emails and nothing. So the dealership has me worried a bit.

Enough about all that. Overall, I really like the boat. It looks awesome, it's roomy, everything works when I turn it one. But that's where the good stops. This is the part that I'm wondering if any other Scarab owners are dealing with....

The overall quality seems to be lacking throughout. The day I got the boat I noticed the boat cover had tearing/fraying around a couple of the snaps. The sewing on the botched interior job is bad. For an $80k boat it's disappointing. Seams aren't done well and there are a lot parts of the seats and bolsters that aren't finished off well....like the padding underneath doesn't fill the cover that was sewn to go over it. Overll it's ok, but again for an $80k boat I expected it to be very nice. Couple the poor sewing with the wrong interior and it's a major let down.

Another thing I noticed once putting it in the water is it pulls really hard to the right at speed. So I have to crank the wheel between a quarter turn and half turn to the left just to keep the boat going straight. Also, when going north of 30 mph, if I hit any sort of waves...I mean it could be super light chop...just enough to get the boat to bounce a little bit the engine hatch will pop open (assuming no one is sitting on it) and it just about gives everyone onboard a heart attack. Another thing I've noticed is that in the driver's seat, there is something from the gauge cluster that is squeaking when moving at any speed through any chop. It sounds like chunks of styrofoam being rubbed together or twisted. You know that obnoxious squeaking sound it makes??? That's what I get in my face while driving. I can't duplicate the noise when on the boat lift. It's super aggravating.

So I only have 3 hours on the boat and have these issues. I'm concerned with what I'll find moving forward. This is the first brand new boat I've ever bought. I'm wondering if these issues are typical of new boats, typical of new Scarab's, or did I just get a shitty boat?

I'm interested to hear other's feedback who have bought new Scarabs lately to see if you are satisfied with their quality or again, if these are relatively minor things that will ultimately be no issue down the road.
Kurt,
I just launched my 2018 255 at the beginning of May and I believe at the same launch as your pic. I may have driven by you on the lake a week ago and yelled "nice boat". I have 20 hours on her now and have hunted down all the noises and resolved them without having to go to the dealer. We made a list of all our items (no matter how small) for our dealer to address and followed up with them once a week until they got the item fixed or replaced. Regardless of the cost or manufacture, it is a new purchase and they need to make it right as we may own it for many years.