• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New Ar230 owner

Toddanddaneen

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So I purchased a 2006 ar230 drove 6 hours to pick it up. Boat is in very good shape. I thought the trailer was in decent shape (I was wrong) so about 4 hours into my trip I had a wheel come off hub and all. Axle is junk. Keep in mind this is still two hours from home. Did some surgery in a gas station parking lot and strapped the axle up. Drove home on three tires in the dark which turned the two hour trip into a four hour one because I was constantly checking things. Just ordered a new axle, springs, mounting hardware, new brakes, and new hubs for all four corners. It seems stupid to spend this kind is money on an older trailer but it would probably take a few months to get a new one in and I want to use the boat this summer. Also the scupper is broke and I can’t find one everywhere is out of stock. Anyone have a source on these??? Adding insult too injury I couldn’t find the brand new wheel and tire that came off... so far this has not been a great experience.

Attachments

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Glad to have you on. Board

Be sure to check the thread in my signature below for known issues with your model boat,

The first few hours of run time i would tell you to check your oil level/smell as we've had a few new members recently that were sold bad boats, ran fine for test but either had water intrision or bad ecu keeping injector open

local

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome to the party. Thankfully I have not had any surprises on my new to me 05 AR230, yet. It will all be worth it when you are floating.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hang in there. Common problem on trailer due to long trip.

I would not give up for lack of scupper. See if you can't do something to seal the whole for the time being while the the scupper shows up. Hardware store/marine store visit and idea gathering?

Worst case with the right measurements we might print a replacement plug.

It would not be self bailing while sealed, but sure beats no boating. As simple as 2 plexiglass circles with a few thru nuts and bolts and lots of silicone.

Just wild ideas to get you going if you can't find the scupper.

Best of Luck!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What part of the scupper is broke?

Toddanddaneen

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It’s broke in half right where the flapper is.

Toddanddaneen

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’m already looking for a temporary solution but haven’t settle on anything just yet.

Toddanddaneen

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Also will be changing out the throttle cable and one of the steering cables while I’m waiting on parts. The other throttle cable has been replaced recently. The boat came with one of each. It looks like the steering cable might be a pain. Will be checking out the write ups for each.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome, and I’m sorry about your misfortune thus far. The scupper is out there, just google the part number (66553-3) and you’ll find some out there. Keep your old hubs as backups, just be aware that the old hubs might require a different inner race. See my signature for part numbers. The galvanized trailer you have is worth a bit more than a painted, so yes, it’s worth it. These boats really are great boats, so unless you really got the rare lemon, she will treat you well once you’ve got some of these knick-knacks taken care of. The steering cables really aren’t very difficult, just tape the new one to the old one, and pull the old one out the front, guiding the new one through as you go. I haven’t done throttle cables yet, but plenty of people have, and I believe the only part that requires much of a brain is adjusting the throttles correctly.

Dfred

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome to the ol’boat club.
…. Also the scupper is broke and I can’t find one everywhere is out of stock. Anyone have a source on these???
After not sinking from catastrophic scupper failure while out on our families maiden voyage… we cruised on Flex-seal tape while awaiting the SS scupper to come in, and find the time to get replacement work. (Note: while your in the clean out hatch, it’s a great time to install emergency tow-valves. Depending on where you boat, and interest in fresh hose water flushing out through engines instead of dumping back out the intake…. They work great).

Pat yourself on the back for the successful repair and ride home. Best luck also with the trailer.

Toddanddaneen

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Parts are on the way for a complete rebuild on the trailer I figure if I get an itch for a new trailer i can get decent money back out of this one with all the new parts and can actually feel good about selling it to someone else. I did luck out I already had a brand new set of aluminum wheels and new tires sitting in the garage that will fit this thing. Will be adding a spare tire holder and using the “old” new tires as spares. I also found a stainless scupper after browsing for two days to find one. Won’t get much done on it this week waiting on parts then leaving to go on vacation next week but as soon as I get back I’ll be jumping on this thing. Once I have all the kinks worked out will be starting on audio and maybe some lighting. This winter it will be gone through with a fine toothed comb.

Toddanddaneen

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for all the advice and information I was just a little disgusted after spending a bunch of money on what was supposed to be a turn key boat and now stuck waiting on parts. All will be well when I have the family out in the water.

Toddanddaneen

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So a little update. After starting to tear all the suspension out from under the trailer found all the bolts they put in it are 1/2 inch grade 1 bolts instead of 9/16 grade 5. Also so far I have broke off all but 1 bolt. I would like to get an opinion on the brakes before I order them. Pretty much a blank slate as anything I buy will need either wire or new brake lines ran to them. Electric or hydraulic. Drum or disk. I’m leaning towards going back with hydraulic disc. Not sure if the actuator or anything is good though, probably safe to assume it isn’t. Just going to do brakes on one axle for now and cap a tee for the other axle for later. Neither of the old axles had brake flanges on them. The new replacement for the one that got destroyed does have flanges though. At this point I think I’m lucky I made it home with only one wheel coming off.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would recommend hydraulic disc. There’s a reason that’s what basically all boat trailers come with. If your actuator is not functional, and you want the best, go with electric over hydraulic. It’s a little more money, but if your vehicle has a trailer brake controller, it’s the best setup available. You can weld the coupler up so it doesn’t slide, which will eliminate the annoying slide slam also. I should also note, these trailers only came with one brake axle. You should be fine with just one. Do some searching, and you should be able to find the part numbers for aftermarket parts. The pads and calipers are the same as some Kia vehicles. You might be better off with a complete kit, just keep replacement parts/pads in mind.

MLo3

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hang in there. When I bought mine, I turned a 6 hour trip into an 11 hour trip because I drove it home on a flat trailer tire. Filled it up at every rest station. Bought mine with plenty of work to be done on it even though I've never owned a boat. If I made it through, I have no doubt anyone can.

Best of luck to you! Once you get the kinks worked out, you won't regret it.

Toddanddaneen

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So I got the trailer squared away. Replaced the scupper and got to go for our first ride. No major issues to speak of it ran well the whole time. Now I have it back in the garage pulling the other reverse cable that hasn’t been replaced. It was pretty sticky while the other is super smooth. I have to say anything you have to do under the cleanout tray is zero fun. Probably going to swap the steering cables as well while I’m at it.