• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

New boat next year...

NavyShooter

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GT
Boat Length
Good morning all,

9rD and I have been discussing, and we considered an upgrade last year, but didn't action it. We've discussed again, and we're looking at swapping our GT187 for something with a bit more oomph, and a bit more size.

The 2015 GT187 (Glastron jet boat) has been a good 'first boat' and 'starter boat' for us. 150 hp, 2800 pounds on the trailer, affordable, etc.

The limitations of it are showing though - 150 hp has been 'tow' limiting - more than 2 kids on a tube is a no-go, and the max speed tops out about 33 mph (~50kph) which I had hoped would be higher.

Our uses are basically 80% on the lake we live on, and about 20% in the Halifax Harbour area - we live in the Maritimes, and in the spring/fall, before we put it in the lake, we take it out on the harbour (salt-water) for afternoon/day trips. A couple of hours at a time putting about the harbour. Launch in the Bedford Basin at the public boat launch, head to McNabb's island, tour the harbour, stop downtown for lunch, etc. That said, as an 18 foot boat, it's right at the limit for comfort in doing this - I'm an experienced sailor (26 years with the RCN) and realize that an 18' boat in anything more than a dead-calm sea is a bad combo, so we're picky about when we do the harbour visits.

So....we're looking at a larger boat, and I'm leaning towards a 21 foot jetboat. I've read good things here about the AR210 series, and am very interested in them, but am wondering if there are other good options as well?

Here's my criteria/limitations:

-22 foot garage for indoor/winter storage
-5000 pound towing limit (Honda Ridgeline)
-Needs better performance than a 150hp/2800lbs boat (18 lbs/hp)

What should I be looking at beyond an AR210...? Any suggestions?

Looking this summer, buying over the winter.

Thanks!

NS

I guess it needs to start with what type of budget you have to work with as well as what type of water you will be primarily boating on? Are you doing a lot of cruising, watersports or fishing?

I have a modded AR210 and we enjoy it a lot, especially for the price point. It handles small lakes as well as the Great Lakes. Of course anything higher than 3' footers in the Great Lakes and it is time to come in or not to go out.

There is the 212 as well, which are very nice boats. Costs more but has nicer finishes and better features as well as larger engines. If you do more fishing perhaps the FSH 21' models would be a good fit.

Also with your garage what is the height of the door? Need to look at tower folded down height on the models with towers.

With gear, gas, boat and trailer you are going to be at your tow limit on a 21'. Perhaps other can chime in who tow with that vehicle. Also will you be towing very long distances? Through Mountains?

Ok,

Some good points - I'll go measure the garage door to check the height - with the Bimini cover it's not been an issue. A tower might be.

I would not be towing long distances - there is not a single place in my province that is further than 60km from the ocean, and for the most part, I'd be running in my lake (~3.5km long) or in the Halifax Harbour. I would not be towing through mountains - the highest 'mountain' in the province is about 2500 feet or so. It's a speedbump.

Fishing isn't really a thing for me - I can't use hand-grenades (JOKING!) so most of what we do is putter around, tow kids on tubes, and with a slightly faster boat, maybe try wake boarding/water skiing.

With gear, gas, boat and trailer you are going to be at your tow limit on a 21'. Perhaps other can chime in who tow with that vehicle. Also will you be towing very long distances? Through Mountains?

He lives in Nova Scotia and has a nice cannon. lol

Actually, I now have 3 cannons...I got a nice 2.5" garrison mount one over the winter, and picked up one of the antique Winchester 10 gauge blank firing signal cannons too. :)

Of note, I do not plan to get a bateau large enough to mount a cannon...

1625057219278.png

Ok,

Some good points - I'll go measure the garage door to check the height - with the Bimini cover it's not been an issue. A tower might be.

I would not be towing long distances - there is not a single place in my province that is further than 60km from the ocean, and for the most part, I'd be running in my lake (~3.5km long) or in the Halifax Harbour. I would not be towing through mountains - the highest 'mountain' in the province is about 2500 feet or so. It's a speedbump.

Fishing isn't really a thing for me - I can't use hand-grenades (JOKING!) so most of what we do is putter around, tow kids on tubes, and with a slightly faster boat, maybe try wake boarding/water skiing.

I guess it would come down to your budget. If it is in the high 40's then you are looking at, New, 210sx without tower or an AR210 with tower. If it is in the high 50's close to 60k, new than the 212. The catch may be the cost for being outside the US. I know that some of the Canadian members pay a lot more for the same boat. The pricing estimates are for purchase in the U.S.

You may be able to get a gently used one, but with the boat shortages they are going for MSRP or more.

Also there are rumors of larger price increases for this coming new year as well as I am sure Inventory is going to be limited as it has been with production issues.

Last edited:
Actually, I now have 3 cannons...I got a nice 2.5" garrison mount one over the winter, and picked up one of the antique Winchester 10 gauge blank firing signal cannons too. :)

Of note, I do not plan to get a bateau large enough to mount a cannon...

View attachment 155260
You remind me of Yosemite Sam

@NavyShooter Any fireworks happening tomorrow on Independance Day? Even the 10ga.

@NavyShooter Any fireworks happening tomorrow on Independance Day? Even the 10ga.

Alas, tomorrow is not "Independence Day" - it's Canada Day.

You bloody peasants down south can celebrate Treason Day on Sunday....or whatever you do. Enjoy a fresh cup of tea maybe?

;-)

I might ring out the day with a few rounds from the 10 Gauge. It's fun to fire. 40-50 grains of black powder in a blank shell. The 1.5" field cannon (larger wheels) is good to up to 600 grains of Fg black powder, and the 2.5" is rated to upwards of 1/4 pound per shot of Fg...I haven't gone that high with it though.

Back to the boat, our budget is....flexible....my wife sold her business of 30+ years and I pulled pin from the Navy after 26 years into a decent paying job, plus military pension, and we're anticipating getting decent money on trade-in/sale of the GT187 - just over 70 hours on it since new, and were offered our full purchase price on it last year when we poked about at the boat show.

You probably want to look at the the 212 model series.

Alas, tomorrow is not "Independence Day" - it's Canada Day.

You bloody peasants down south can celebrate Treason Day on Sunday....or whatever you do. Enjoy a fresh cup of tea maybe?

I should have known better...My grandmother was from Digby.

You probably want to look at the the 212 model series.
Thank-you! I'll have a deeper look, and from what I read in the other thread about production delays, it's probably a good thing I'm not looking to get it this year!

I recommend the 212 over the 210, you may never need the extra power but at least you will have it available if/when never ends.

-22 foot garage for indoor/winter storage
-5000 pound towing limit (Honda Ridgeline)
The 21 footers have a folded tongue length of 22 feet so it should fit in your garage, but you'll need to measure and double check space and door height as mentioned.
The 212s tops out about 4900 lbs with a full tank of fuel, plus any extra gear you put in the boat so you'd be right at the towing limit. If you're just trailering around town, getting fuel at the station, and down to the harbour, you should be fine. The AR210 is about 400 lbs lighter. We pull our 212s with an SUV and 5k tow rating just fine, although I wouldn't tow through mountains with it.
:D
-Needs better performance than a 150hp/2800lbs boat (18 lbs/hp)
Any twin engine jet is going to be a monster compared to the single engine 187 with more than enough power for any sports you want. We preferred Yamaha for the seating, rear platform, and solid engines, and the 212s has nice upgrades over the AR210 (twin bucket seats was a requirement for my wife). But the Scarab 215 is also an option we looked at when shopping around. With the single axle trailer you're looking at about 4400 lbs with a full tank of fuel plus gear so a bit lighter but still lots of power - more so if you opted for the twin 300hp engines.
?

Another model to consider if you are concerned about towing capacity of your ridge line is Yamaha’s 195. Single engine but supercharged. The NA version produces 180hp, the supercharged version (non California) is supposed to produce 220 to 240 hp. Yamaha’s also have a reputation for being well well configured as far as seating and storage space is concerned. It’s also quite a bit less expansive than the 212.

Last edited:
Back