• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New boater 08 232 limited

Hogger Dick

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I have some questions as a new boater and jet boater.
Is it normal to have between 11 and 1 of slop in the steering wheel? Also have leaking water out of the port steering cable after Silicone on it.
Is there any kind of Schematics on where things are(blueprinted? Construction details)
Do you leave drainplugs in underway?
....to that point, is a drain plus in fuel compartment?
Is it normal for engine rpm not to sinc from 6k but sinc at 10k. Also my boat pulls to the right?
I know these are all questions that other have had but I’m just trying to tighten my boat up. Thanks for having me. Love this boat!!

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
I have the exact same boat. I find i dont have play in the steering while at no wake speeds but as sooN as im on plane the i have quite a bit. Prob a little more than what your describing. Pretty normal. You will need to explain the leaking steering cable in a little more detail. There is no drain plug where the fuel tank is. My plugs are out all the time but officially i believe they are all supposed to be in while under way. There is no engine sync on out boats. Everything is manual so if you want the engine synced then you need to do that with the throttles. If you mean the handles dont line up then you can adjust that back at the engine. There is an adjustment in the end of the cable where It attaches to the motor/throttle bodies under the airbox cover. As for the boat pulling, this boat is super sensitive to wind direction. Its prob not pulling to the right. Thats just the wind direction when you noticed it. I dont think i have ever had the steering wheel straight on my boat. I have it constantly turned to either 2 or 10 oclock to steer against the wind. It doesnt have to be wind either. Just a gentile breeze. If you dont have steering fins added to the boat i suggest you buy a set from cobra steering.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Is it normal to have between 11 and 1 of slop in the steering wheel? Also have leaking water out of the port steering cable after Silicone on it.
Is there any kind of Schematics on where things are(blueprinted? Construction details)
Is it normal for engine rpm not to sinc from 6k but sinc at 10k. Also my boat pulls to the right?
I know these are all questions that other have had but I’m just trying to tighten my boat up. Thanks for having me. Love this boat!!
Welcome to the Forum. There is "slop" in parts of the linkage. Some folks add steering bushings to the linkage to tighten it up. https://jetboaters.net/threads/adding-bushings-to-steering-deflector-nozzle-to-increase-precision-remove-slop.11094/page-4#post-454411

There is a water drain plug for the fuel tank compartment/locker. Open the engine hatch and look down on the forward bulkhead (wall) of the engine bay. There will be one on the wall, for the fuel compartment and one on the sole (floor) to drain both compartments to the bilge. I leave mine open.

My throttles never sync together. I run port slightly ahead of starboard. But @ 10k rpm's they are pretty much even. Hard to tell why you pull to starboard. Mine wants to circle to port when hands are taken off the wheel.

Last edited:

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome to the forum

There is going to be slop in the steering. With basically 1/3 to 1/2 turn each way on the wheel it doesn't take much input to turn the boat and the "play" is going to be exaggerated because of it.
I leave my engine bay drainplugs out while underway.
RPM's don't have to sync 100% of the time or any of the time.
Your pulling to the right might be caused by weight distribution or jet nozzles aren't properly lined up or something else. Mine tracks straight at 30mph+ but at -10mph if I let go it wants to go wherever when letting go of the wheel. It's a boat, not a car. Things are going to be different.

Hogger Dick

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I have the exact same boat. I find i dont have play in the steering while at no wake speeds but as sooN as im on plane the i have quite a bit. Prob a little more than what your describing. Pretty normal. You will need to explain the leaking steering cable in a little more detail. There is no drain plug where the fuel tank is. My plugs are out all the time but officially i believe they are all supposed to be in while under way. There is no engine sync on out boats. Everything is manual so if you want the engine synced then you need to do that with the throttles. If you mean the handles dont line up then you can adjust that back at the engine. There is an adjustment in the end of the cable where It attaches to the motor/throttle bodies under the airbox cover. As for the boat pulling, this boat is super sensitive to wind direction. Its prob not pulling to the right. Thats just the wind direction when you noticed it. I dont think i have ever had the steering wheel straight on my boat. I have it constantly turned to either 2 or 10 oclock to steer against the wind. It doesnt have to be wind either. Just a gentile breeze. If you dont have steering fins added to the boat i suggest you buy a set from cobra steering.
I had what appeared to be an older set of cobra fins on the boat. I removed them and found steering was easier, I suspect that they actually put pressure on the steering linkage. Upon closer inspection, my starboard Nozzle Is pointed outboard a bit. I think I need to adjust it inboard.
Also, water appears to be getting by the control cable on the starboard side as well. The 2 rubber boots on cable appear to be worn. Should I replace the steering cables?