• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New Boater collosal failure

bigdaddyslim66

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Last night the starboard engine overheat light came on. I turned it off, did some trouble shooting but to no avail. I limped back to the marina, about 15 minutes, with the engine off and the Port Side at 3500 rpms. Completely forgot about water getting into that engine. I don't know what I was thinking. I read that manual cover-to-cover.
I got it back to the marina, put it up on the lift and did each engine flush, following the right procedure. Covered it and left. Today, I was thumbing through the manual to see why it might be overheating and re-read what I read before and am so freaking out. Going to the marina after work to check the oil to see if it is a milky color. How will I know if I shot the motor and it's time to call a mechanic?

I really let my family down on this one.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You flushed both engines ? If both engines worked you're ok,

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
First of all, relax. If you flushed it and it worked fine, you're OK. If you check the oil and it's oil colored, you're OK. Water incursion can occur from running an engine at high speed, but I think you're good if you were just limping it back.

If it's milky:
1) Immediately drain and replace oil with cheap oil.
2) Remove spark plugs, unhook safely lanyard, crank over engine until any water is gone out of the plug holes.
3) Change oil again.
4) Run on hose, check for milky oil. No milk - see below. Milk, repeat steps 2&3 until you can get to step 5.
5) Change oil and filter to Yamaha specs.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
you should consider at the least a set of hose clamps in case it happens again, or installing tow/flush valves since your on a lift,

If you don't have a flush valve you loose some of your flush water out the water "inlet" since there's no force sending it all to the engine.

the water coming out of the hole that I cover is actually the "inlet",

KyleWade14

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Were both engines peeing out of the side ports? I’ve had bugs get in mine over winter and plug them up causing it to overheat.

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Then it's not hydrolocked, so that's good. Do you have an oil extractor? I'd pull out 1/2L without running it beforehand to see what it looks like.

bigdaddyslim66

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
First of all, relax. If you flushed it and it worked fine, you're OK. If you check the oil and it's oil colored, you're OK. Water incursion can occur from running an engine at high speed, but I think you're good if you were just limping it back.

If it's milky:
1) Immediately drain and replace oil with cheap oil.
2) Remove spark plugs, unhook safely lanyard, crank over engine until any water is gone out of the plug holes.
3) Change oil again.
4) Run on hose, check for milky oil. No milk - see below. Milk, repeat steps 2&3 until you can get to step 5.
5) Change oil and filter to Yamaha specs.
Thanks. Went to the boat after work, pulled the dip sticks and they were both normal, normal color and normal level. Took my wife's uncle with me who had some experience with vacuum pumps, while not jet boats, he was helpful. Looks like problem averted. We did read about putting clamps on intake lines if this happens again. I just can't seem to find a photo of what they look like in the engine compartment.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I did flush both and it worked.
Definitely check the oil now and the next time you go out to make sure it's still "oil" and not chocolate milk shake (what it will look like if water gets in the oil.

You're probably fine, be sure to view the "how the cooling water flows" video in our FAQ tab at the top of the page, also has tow/flush valves info and if you don't have any I would strongly encourage you to get cleanout plug locks, also confirm your scupper is good, in my signature below is a list of issues that you should be aware of for your year boat,

Were both engines peeing out of the side ports? I’ve had bugs get in mine over winter and plug them up causing it to overheat.
over heat is not possible unless those bugs made it all the way into your engine to build their nest and we've never seen that before,
those indicator lines are only "indicators" you could plug them intentionally and it would just send water out the back of the boat, if you've not seen it I encourage you to watch the "how the cooling water flows" video in the FAQ tab at the top of the page,

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Definitely check the oil now and the next time you go out to make sure it's still "oil" and not chocolate milk shake (what it will look like if water gets in the oil.

You're probably fine, be sure to view the "how the cooling water flows" video in our FAQ tab at the top of the page, also has tow/flush valves info and if you don't have any I would strongly encourage you to get cleanout plug locks, also confirm your scupper is good, in my signature below is a list of issues that you should be aware of for your year boat,

over heat is not possible unless those bugs made it all the way into your engine to build their nest and we've never seen that before,
those indicator lines are only "indicators" you could plug them intentionally and it would just send water out the back of the boat, if you've not seen it I encourage you to watch the "how the cooling water flows" video in the FAQ tab at the top of the page,

That's interesting, thanks for the info.