• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New Boater - Yamaha AR192

Frank Mahoney

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've signed on the dotted line and am picking it up in a few days. Holy crap I am excited! 1st boat I've owned and haven't spent a whole bunch of time on the water since my Navy days many moons ago. I'm in Massachusetts on the south coast where I have the choice of fresh or salt, and I'd like to do both but the salt worries me. I will be trailering it so she will never spend the night in salt but I guess I'm looking for some reassurance that I won't kill the thing by bringing it in salt and what should I do to minimize the corrosive effects of the salt water bays I hope to cruise in..... Any tips, recommendations or cautionary tales would be most welcome.

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Welcome aboard , and congrats on the new boat, you will be fine using it in salt water, just make sure to flush it out after use, and spray the jets down with fresh water. Also use a anti corrosive spray in the engine compartment.. you will be in good shape wit a good regiment of cleaning it after use....

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
When doing a fresh water flush out, remember engine on then water on, when done water off then engine off.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome aboard and congrats!

A 192 made it to Bimini and back last month so salt will not destroy it.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome!

Mine is fresh only (my choice), so don't have a lot more to offer beyond the welcome...

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome and you will hear from many people that boat in the salt water. I have heard about Salt-away being used and you will find there are other options as well.

I don't know how your trailer is setup as far as the bow roller but for those of us that trailer a lot, we change that out to a polyurethane roller to eliminate the marking that is caused by the other OEM rollers. Many people go with the Stoltz brand but I went with another no-name brand for my setup.

Enjoy the boat

Frank Mahoney

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for all the good advice and the great welcome from everyone. I'm sure I have a lot to learn and need all the help I can get. Any thoughts on stuff I should get before putting it in the water? I assume I'll need rope, a few fenders and an anchor for starters.

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Get yourself some dock line, 4 or 6 fenders 6 1/2" or a little bigger in diameter. A lot of guys use a box anchor on here , I don't have one so I can't speak to which one would be appropriate for you. A first aid kit, a small sharp knife, a small tool kit with the basics. I'm sure others will chime in with some other necessities..

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Is this a new boat froam a dealer??

Frank Mahoney

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Get yourself some dock line, 4 or 6 fenders 6 1/2" or a little bigger in diameter. A lot of guys use a box anchor on here , I don't have one so I can't speak to which one would be appropriate for you. A first aid kit, a small sharp knife, a small tool kit with the basics. I'm sure others will chime in with some other necessities..
I was hoping to avoid the whole tool thing:) The dealer said these boats were trouble free

1rjclark

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ca
Thanks for all the good advice and the great welcome from everyone. I'm sure I have a lot to learn and need all the help I can get. Any thoughts on stuff I should get before putting it in the water? I assume I'll need rope, a few fenders and an anchor for starters.
camera/ go pro/ or similar to record all the fun!

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was hoping to avoid the whole tool thing:) The dealer said these boats were trouble free
That must be why they include a took kit with the boat :D

They really are less trouble than most boats. The amount of annual maintenance is way less!

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
LOL, THE TOOL KIT IS FOR THE OTHER "NON YAMAHA" BOATERS YOU HAPPEN TO MEET!!! :). Since it is a new boat from the dealer, I would think they won't let you leave without "visiting" the accessory / parts dept. I think most dealers give a discount on initial accessory purchases so you can probably find most of what is a necessity there at a discounted price. Then be sure to come back here and simply post a question like this: I want to do some MODS to my AR192 and watch your alerts go crazy.. everyone here is VERY good at spending money, especially when it's someone else's. JK , KINDA. really though you will find everybody is here to help, have fun. And share stories and PICS... We love pics!!!of things we have done to our boats.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Many dealers will offer a starter kit with some basic stuff (cheap dock line, anchor rode, anchor chain, those orange life vests, small extinguisher, etc.) for free (particularly if you are pushing them for a discount on the boat). Most of the stuff is ok--some is too cheap to be of value.

I would get 3 double braided dock lines. Got mine at Academy. Also I was recommended to Taylor fenders and have not regretted them. Some fender hanging system can be very handy even if you know all the knots. Your crew frequently will not know them and being able to tell them to just clip that one there can be very handy.

Box anchors are Devine, but I didn't start with one. Wish I had...

Get noodles. Lots of noodles. And a soft sided AO cooler. And ice. And a mix of beer and water.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Congrats!

Welcome.jpg

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Yamborghini

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
Welcome dude! Have fun and always post jealousy causing media!

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Congrats and Welcome!

Be sure to take a boater's safety course. Most states will let you do it on-line.

That will help you avoid being talked about on the "People do Stupid things" thread...

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome aboard @Frank Mahoney. If you update your profile with your location it will appear on our member map. I'm on Cape Cod so if you get out this way drop me a note.
I'm assuming you got a galvanized trailer with your boat as a painted trailer does not work well with salt water. Also lay in a supply of Salt Away or Salt Off along with the hose end mixer to flush your engines after salt water use. Although ocean boating poses some additional challenges over lake boating I think you will find it much more interesting than boating on most lakes in Mass.