• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New Computer - transfering info

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
So I got a new computer, and just wondering what the best way is to get old computer stuff transfered to new.
I run an ethernet filled house, so my best thought right now is to hook it up where the playstation is and run an HDMI to the TV. We are probably going to use the old PC to run stuff to the TV anyways so that's what made me think of it.
Any other good ideas or easier way to move it over the ethernet?

Old PC:
AMD 7750 Black OC'd to 2.9 ghz (dual core)
4 GB Kingston HyperX Ram
128 GB SSD Intel
1 Terabyte drive with 64 MB cache or something fancy, don't remember
ATI Radeon 5750
ASUS MB
Corsair 80+ PS

New PC:
Gigabyte MB
AMD FX6300
16 GB Ram (GEIL?)
Nvidia GeForce GTX 960
128 SSD
1 TB HD
600 watt 80+ PS
Gawd aweful looking case.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Ethernet port to Ethernet port. Shouldn't have to use a crossover cable anymore, they should self negotiate without a router. Share the drive on the old PC and the new one can pull from it. That way your home network won't slow down transferring data between the 2 PCs.

That's assuming you can put the 2 next to each other.

On a side note, I have carbonite with about 350gb backed up. I just got a new laptop and can't figure out why carbonite won't let you move the files locally and then do a scan so compare it to the online backup and start from there. I have to download it all from carbonite or move it manually and have it all upload again. Seems ridiculous to me.

Those SSDs in the new PC? They are SO much faster. Especially noticeable on the boot drive when you boot up. I would change folks at work over to SSDs with windows 7 and it would shave a solid minute off boot up time.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Fastest way will be via sata cable or putting all drives in the same machine. Ethernet is just fine though. After all the data is backed up it may not be a bad idea to do a clean install on the old machine and make sure all updates and patches are refreshed.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Actually perhaps it's best to move all the "junk" to the old terabyte and install in new pc. Then i can reformat the old one and use as movie streamer basically.
Gonna guess that the sata2 is faster than transfering over ethernet.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Actually perhaps it's best to move all the "junk" to the old terabyte and install in new pc. Then i can reformat the old one and use as movie streamer basically.
Gonna guess that the sata2 is faster than transfering over ethernet.
Absolutely faster. And the best method if you don't mind doing it internally.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Absolutely faster. And the best method if you don't mind doing it internally.
Need to put a better cooler in there anyways. Stock block of aluminium isn't gonna cut it for me!

Topper232

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I bought a Thermalake BlacX Duet brand external HDD holder for my old computers HDD's.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153112&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-External+Enclosure-_-N82E16817153112&gclid=CjwKEAjwq8y8BRCstYTm8qeT9mwSJACZGjUk38hy60KfhL5hDKXy_eBh8gbLjBXQWi_PBV9M1PNiexoCGGPw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

This essentially makes it a very big flash drive. Once I was sure that all of my data was good, I pulled the drive out of the old computer and then put it in the "BlacX Duet" and then plugged the BlacX Duet's USB cable in the new computer. Once the new computer was booted up and I had all of my needed programs/apps installed, I just had to copy the needed folder/files from the USB drive (My old HDD) to the new computer's HDD/SSD. It was literally copy/paste and drag/drop. When you've moved all of your data you can then use the old HDD/SSD as a backup drive for your new computer since you can keep it plugged into one of the available USB ports, or if your home network router has a USB port, you can plug the BlacX into the router and other computers can then back up to the HDD/SSD as well.