• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New Gas Cap

Nous Defions

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
To all those kids who think it's impossible. The new style flip cap (Yam Prt #F2J-U783E-20-00) Fuel Filler Assembly will go on an older boat. Since losing my gas cap and not wanting to do that again, I disassembled the old filler assembly, and removed from boat. Not particularly difficult if you remove the batteries, even for a fatty like me. Grind off the thread portion of the old filler tube so it's flat/smooth. Cut off the filler tube on the new assembly and grind it flat/smooth. The new filler tube diameter is smaller and will not seal on the fuel line inside, you need the bigger filler tube. There are only four screws holding the new assembly vs. six on the old. I drilled three new screw holes and used one old hole that worked out to be in the right spot. I 4200 glued together the two pieces, bolted and clamped together overnight. Next morning put the new assembly in place and drilled three new holes where needed. Put it all back together again better than new. No more lost gas caps.

Attachments

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I replaced my gas cap with the hinged version likes yours a few years ago, after losing my gas cap by leaving it off hanging by its chain on the way back to the boat ramp After a fuel stop. However, my set up is not the same, I just removed the old / original fuel cap holder/mount from the hull, added a 6” or so Hose extension to the new filler cap assembly and slid the extension into the existing fuel filler hose, it was a perfect fit. I also had to drill new holes for the new assembly. To secure everything I have a hose clamp on the extension and New filler connection And two on the original fuel filler hose (over the original hose and the extension). Even if the extension slid off the new assembly the first bend in the original hose will keep the extension from falling into the tank or lower into the original hose,

Epsmith19

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Other
What year did they switch cap styles?

TN_seamonkey

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
@Nous Defions you were able to get to the hose clamp and nuts from inside the battery storage compartment? I just bought this assembly for my 2017 SX195, thinking it screwed into the hull (stupid, I know) instead of having bolts and nuts, not to mention the hose clamp on there. Looking at it a few minutes ago, I had no idea how to get up in there. I thought I would have to remove the seat back or something like that.

I'll have to try the battery compartment once my back gets better! Ha! I threw it out 3 days ago, so there's no way I can get down in there right now.

Thanks!

Richard Bares

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Nous Defions you were able to get to the hose clamp and nuts from inside the battery storage compartment? I just bought this assembly for my 2017 SX195, thinking it screwed into the hull (stupid, I know) instead of having bolts and nuts, not to mention the hose clamp on there. Looking at it a few minutes ago, I had no idea how to get up in there. I thought I would have to remove the seat back or something like that.

I'll have to try the battery compartment once my back gets better! Ha! I threw it out 3 days ago, so there's no way I can get down in there right now.

Thanks!
If you have the white plastic flip up cap just tap out the pin with a small screw driver and replace with the chrome cap. I did mine last weekend and it took about 5 minutes.

TN_seamonkey

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
If you have the white plastic flip up cap just tap out the pin with a small screw driver and replace with the chrome cap. I did mine last weekend and it took about 5 minutes.
Dang, that sounds much easier! Ha! Besides, I was thinking after I typed that post yesterday that I still wouldn't have a way to both hold the nut and screw the bolt at the same time by coming in through the battery compartment. I'll try this! Thanks

Richard Bares

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Dang, that sounds much easier! Ha! Besides, I was thinking after I typed that post yesterday that I still wouldn't have a way to both hold the nut and screw the bolt at the same time by coming in through the battery compartment. I'll try this! Thanks

Attachments