• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New guy here, from East TN

That_Jeep_Dude

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey JB forum!
We just bought a 2011 AR240 with 130hrs and couldn’t be more excited! We bought this boat from my parents and they have had it since it was new. I have had a few small boats in the past but this is my first nice rig and I can’t wait to get my family out on the water!

I have been cleaning the boat, charging batteries, greasing trailer hubs, etc. for the past few days. I installed a Duracell (2 bank, 8 amp) on-board battery charger just the other day and will be tackling replacing all the bunk boards and bunk carpet today. A couple bunk bolts have pulled out and the bunks have seen better days. I will also be using some Star Brite Hull Cleaner today to get rid of some of the stains that are on the bottom of the boat. We also have some Sea Dek ordered for the swim deck and a few other pieces (keeping the carpet for now because it looks brand new after a good cleaning). Also got some Blowsion billet water bypass and bilge fittings to replace the crappy factory ones!

Having said all of that, is there anything else I should be on the lookout for maintenance wise? I have read about some guys replacing a scupper valve but after some research I don’t think this boat has that issue...?

Anyways, glad I found this forum! Looking forward to reading though some pages and maybe hanging out with some of you on the lake this year!
0E5E95D4-3FFA-470F-8341-3E0E6DE8E8DE.jpeg

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Hi and :Welcome: to the forum!!! Glad you found us. Tons of good info here with really nice people to help keep you safe AND on the water with a little bit humor thrown in too. You have a great looking family AND that boat looks brand new. Sweet. Love the color too. Enjoy and let us know if you need anything.
I know they talk about replacing the roller on the trailer by the crank. Do a search and you'll see. Please share pictures when you can. We all love pics!!!

That_Jeep_Dude

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi and :Welcome: to the forum!!! Glad you found us. Tons of good info here with really nice people to help keep you safe AND on the water with a little bit humor thrown in too. You have a great looking family AND that boat looks brand new. Sweet. Love the color too. Enjoy and let us know if you need anything.
I know they talk about replacing the roller on the trailer by the crank. Do a search and you'll see. Please share pictures when you can. We all love pics!!!
Thanks Dean! I’ve got tons of pictures already, but I’ll share a few more this evening after we knock out some big-ticket items!

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome. Congrats on the new to you boat.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congratulations! I've always loved the graphics on that model. Have a fun season!

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I’ve always loved the Chattanooga area, though have never spent any time there. (Just driving through on the way south.)

If you haven’t seen this, check it out in your spare time. Group of guys floated from Knoxville to the Gulf over the course of 3 weeks and made a movie out of their journey. Shows some of your awesome TN scenery. Cool views of the Chattanooga waterfront at night.

S1LV3R4D0

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Congrats from a fellow East TN'er. What lakes you plan on runnin her on?

Dough

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
'11 was the year they fixed the oil cooler half way through the year. I'd check that it has the new style. Love the hound dog!

That_Jeep_Dude

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the welcome guys! I replaced all the bunks on the trailer today (lumber and carpet) and we found out that some legit hull cleaner is going to work just fine to remove the stains on the bottom of the boat.

Having said that, the boat would not start on a single battery today (it has dual batts, but it took me turning the switch to “all” to get it to start). Soooo... I am going to be replacing the batteries. What do y’all recommend, or what have you had good luck with?

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Thanks for the welcome guys! I replaced all the bunks on the trailer today (lumber and carpet) and we found out that some legit hull cleaner is going to work just fine to remove the stains on the bottom of the boat.

Having said that, the boat would not start on a single battery today (it has dual batts, but it took me turning the switch to “all” to get it to start). Soooo... I am going to be replacing the batteries. What do y’all recommend, or what have you had good luck with?
Batteries like to be used. Let them sit, they just fad. With that said (I didn't want to take any chances either) I went with 2 Duracell AGM deep cycle batteries. No problems. Just be sure to keep them charged.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Skip the StarBrite for hull cleaning. Put some gloves on, and grab a bottle of toilet bowl cleaner. Apply liberally to the white area, give it 2-3 minutes (you’ll see it start to work) then rinse off. Then reapply wax to that area to help keep it clean. Oh, and welcome!

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome and very nice boat colors/graphics! Your kids, family, and hound dog are going to have a blast.

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have been well satisfied with my 2) Optima Group 27 AGMs. As @Dean P pointed out , just keep them fully charged and they will last a long time. Deep cycle but plenty of cranking amps to start those engines. Optima's are pricey and there are probably other AGMs (less expensive) and just as capable. My employer is a Johnson Controls distributor ( makes Optima) so they were a good deal for me. I just keep them on my two bank Cabella 12 amp charger when I leave the marina. Welcome and enjoy the new boat.

Attachments

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
:Welcome: Great looking boat! You and the family are going to love being able to get out and relax on her! NOW

That_Jeep_Dude

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Skip the StarBrite for hull cleaning. Put some gloves on, and grab a bottle of toilet bowl cleaner. Apply liberally to the white area, give it 2-3 minutes (you’ll see it start to work) then rinse off. Then reapply wax to that area to help keep it clean. Oh, and welcome!
Man, I tried this trick the other day and it wouldn’t even touch these stains... I let it sit, scrubbed it hard and everything in between will little to no results. The star brite stuff took it right off without even scrubbing!

That_Jeep_Dude

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, I figured for the price ($79 each) I’d give the “Never Start” brand a try... And, no core charge because there’s nobody in the auto center and I took these babies through the self checkout line! I’m pretty mechanically inclined, but electrical stuff baffles me. So I am going to ask... Is 1000mca too much or will these batteries work just fine?3D303515-036D-4502-90AF-76FDF3547F29.jpeg

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Should be fine! Just make sure you pay attention to the connections and reconnect them in the same manner and TIGHTEN them down, lots of folks (ME) have had alarms because of loose connections after installing a new battery!

That_Jeep_Dude

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Should be fine! Just make sure you pay attention to the connections and reconnect them in the same manner and TIGHTEN them down, lots of folks (ME) have had alarms because of loose connections after installing a new battery!
Thanks, solid advice! I snapped a pic before I grabbed the old ones out and then zip tied and labeled the cables as I took them off. I was just doing some reading on the Interwebs and it seems “the more, the merrier” when it comes to MCA/CCA.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome!

What they all said. Additionally: I went withe the Cosco batteries last time I replaced a couple years ago. Seem to work fine, and much cheaper than some of the alternatives. At $79, the worst that can happen is that you have to replace them in a few years instead of 5-8, right?

The other thing to watch out for on these boats is the hole that will form in your wallet. BTW, you probably need to add grab bars to the front... How is the stereo? Do you have your EZ-Locks (you need those)?

Again, welcome!