• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New guy with a few questions

Jim Davis

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
I'm thinking about upgrading from a 2011 AR240 to a 2019 242 LS e-series or X e-series. Leaning towards the X for some wake surfing but I've heard some complaining about lower top speeds and more fuel burn due to the angle of the jets being less efficient. Does anyone have any experience with that?
Are there any problems with the Bimini frame when traveling on the trailer? I understand you have to take the cover off and I'm assuming that isn't too much of a pain. We plan on taking it to some other not so close lakes and I don't drive 45mph. If you guys can think of that I should be aware of please let me know.
Thanks

JD

Stevenpigsooie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Jet nozzles can easily be realigned for max efficiency.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Overall there is quite the upgrade from the older boats to the latest. I moved from an 09 to a 17...the difference was between night and day. As @Stevenpigsooie mentioned above, the nozzles can easily be realigned for efficiency. If you want a good intro as to how to do this, Will from Jet Boat Pilot explains this on his Thrust Vector Wake Install Video. I believe this is around the 15 minute mark into it.

As for the Bimini frame, it isn't much harder to tow with than the older models. Yes, they do recommend removing the Bimini if going over 45. It is a bit of an origami challenge to get the Bimini on, but after a couple of times, it can be done in about five minutes. Essentially on my 17, it's a velcro fastener, then 2 clips and a ratchet strap on each side. My suggestion is the first couple of times, have someone help you slide it onto the frame and each of you work from rear-bow together...

If you tow any distance, I HIGHLY recommend you upgrade to some radial tires. I upgraded to Goodyear Endurance Radials and they have been great. they are also D-rated whereas the stock tires are C-rated so you know you're not overloading the tires. the boat will tow way better. Additionally, I ordered aluminum trailer wheels and bolts from recstuff.com and the tires were $75 each. Total the wheels and black lug bolts came to about $450. I then sold the stock tires on local craigslist for $300. So for $150 (I was upgrading the tires anyway) I was able to get new wheels on the trailer.

Jim Davis

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
Thank you for the replies.