• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New Head Unit Suggestions

Krats

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hey All, My Polk head unit is physically damaged and needs to be replaced. I see Wetsounds, JL, Kicker etc. I'm fairly certain whatever I choose needs to be NMEA 2000 compatible to communicate properly with Connext. I would like to beef up the sound to the existing speakers and next winter upgrade a few so any amp suggestions are welcome too. I'm not looking to be the loudest on the water just looking for a little more oomf. So my question is, what advice do you all have for me to spend my money 😉

Bizywk

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
?? I didn"t think the connext uses NEMA2K - does it? I never noticed a cat5 line or terminators in there.

yjander

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Fusion msRa70. No nema, you can get a version with, but it's an awesome unit. Love the little Bluetooth wireless remotes that you can stick all over the boat.

I have a JL m600/6 driving 4 Infiniti bspeakers and a kicker sub. It suits me well. Not loudest but def has some oomf.

Bizywk

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I was curious if I could hook up my NEMA2K VHF to it and it would automatically switch from FM to the VHF as needed and back again.

Krats

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Well I'm not 100% sure about NEMA2k but I thought I read it somewhere. I was under the impression it was to talk with the Connext unit...

Krats

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
20210322_185453.jpg20210322_185453.jpg

06c6z06

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How did you get to the remote to remove the bolts on the bracket? I want to remove and place in a different location. I have a sx 240 with the same radio.

Krats

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
How did you get to the remote to remove the bolts on the bracket? I want to remove and place in a different location. I have a sx 240 with the same radio.
I pulled the speaker and tried to reach it can't. I don't know how to get to it. The picture above is from me putting my gand in the speaker hole.

flyingnugget

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I pulled the speaker and tried to reach it can't. I don't know how to get to it. The picture above is from me putting my gand in the speaker hole.
I'm just finishing up a stereo upgrade. I had the old Clarion round transom remote. Only way to get to it was to remove the cup holder and stick your hand in there. The cup holder is held on by silicone and nothing more. So get some plastic removing tools, to prevent scratching, and pry it off. Then you can get to that harness.

As for the Stereo head suggestion: I replaced my old Clarion CDM8 OEM stero head unit with the Fusion MS-RA670. LOVE it so far. Yesterday was the first day I got power to it and played around with it and it is SOOOOO much more user friendly and functional. I have the Fusion ERX400 on the transom replacing the old Clarion remote. That a great remote unit too but much more of a pain in the azz, since this one is nice and small and square and the older unit was big and round. Had to rig a mounting bracket to make that happen but thats another story.

Good luck

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Fusion msRa70. No nema, you can get a version with, but it's an awesome unit. Love the little Bluetooth wireless remotes that you can stick all over the boat.

I have a JL m600/6 driving 4 Infiniti bspeakers and a kicker sub. It suits me well. Not loudest but def has some oomf.
Fusion MS-RA70NSX
That's the one I installed last year, N for networking and X for Sirius XM capable, is what Crutchfield told me. And with NMEA2000, I was able to install the upgraded Fusion remote on the swimdeck that has the same display as the head unit.

Good luck!

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Fusion MS-RA70NSX
That's the one I installed last year, N for networking and X for Sirius XM capable, is what Crutchfield told me. And with NMEA2000, I was able to install the upgraded Fusion remote on the swimdeck that has the same display as the head unit.

Good luck!
You installed this into a 2011 model? I need to upgrade mine 2015 242 and wondering if this would work for me as well?

edit: nevermind. 2011 didn't have connext so you could just directly replace the head unit.

Last edited:

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
You have to have a NMEA 2000 head unit to work with Connext?
I think it's actually more complicated than that. At least with the older boats...not sure on the newer. Trying to figure out the details.

Wrecked Rooster

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think it's actually more complicated than that. At least with the older boats...not sure on the newer. Trying to figure out the details.
alright. I have a 2021 and planned on getting a Kicker KMC4 head unit but I don’t think it has that option. Found a KMC5 for $100 more than the KMC4 but don’t feel that I need those extra options.

Considered fusion, but they have a rectangle hole where the kicker has a round hole like my factory head unit.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You installed this into a 2011 model? I need to upgrade mine 2015 242 and wondering if this would work for me as well?

edit: nevermind. 2011 didn't have connext so you could just directly replace the head unit.
It's worth talking to yamaha or crutchfield. Or even fusion support. As Yamaha used the Fusion head units as the OEM for a few of the model years with connext. And yes, it was just NMEA 2000 connection. You will be amazed at how easy those networks are to setup. It's not Ethernet switching and routing. It's literally cables, T's and terminators.

Mine can show all the head unit info on the NMEA remote on the stern as well as depth and temp info from my Simrad. Pretty cool. Stereo cableing and power has not changed very much in decades. Other than how you mix amps in, add XM or NMEA networks. The rest is just speakers and amps.