• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New Jet boat Owner-Scarab 255ID

Firechic78

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 ID
Boat Length
Hello all,
just wanted to say hi and thank you for all the advice prior to our purchase. I have been depending on this forum quite often. Picked the boat up last Saturday and Took it out while we were still in Utah. Had some hiccups on pickup but All in all Marine United treated us well.
All smooth on the water except for loading it back onto trailer. A little different to say the least. Lol. We didn’t hit anything so that was good, but I’m sure we looked like newbie’s. Been around boats my entire life but first jet boat. So far we love it. We did get flat tire on the trailer on the way home. Of course the one screw in the hotel parking lot and I found it.
Planning on taking it to out Friday to practice maneuvering and cruise. Hope everything goes smoothly. Only thing that’s bothering me is we went through coolant in one of the reservoirs. Dealer said it was prob just air but needless to say I’m going to keep an eye on it. Anyway thought I would share. Here are some pics and thanks again for all the advice on the forums. It’s great to have these resources.

Attachments

Epsmith19

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Other
Looks great! Congrats!

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Beautiful boat, congrats! That's a close cooling system, right?

mkbcaptain

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Beautiful boat, congrats! That's a close cooling system, right?
Yes. It’s close looped. Has a heat exchanger.

DaveShip55

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Awesome boat!.... Congrats!... definitely like some of the things on the Scarab... heck, didn’t even know that made a jet boat until a few days ago...LoL. Been watching some videos and wow!.. they’re pretty dang nice!

Firechic78

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 ID
Boat Length
Thank you. Yeah we were looking at the Yamaha’s but I’m just not a fan of the styling. We were torn between the Vortex and the Scarab. We got such a good deal on the scarab couldn’t pass it up. The interior layout is awesome.
I’m just praying we don’t have any major issues. I’ve read some horror stories. But like with anything I’m sure there will be some issues. The 3yr 480 hr Rotax warranty is a big plus too. The coolant thing is my biggest concern at the moment. We will see. I will take some pics of it in the water and share.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Firechic78 contests in the boat. The Scarab's are awesome looking boats and the performance is pretty unmatched. Congratulations!

FloridaKen

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Beautiful boat! Congrats! We just bought a new 215 ourselves. Fun but there’s definitely a learning curve especially at slow speeds. I’m still working through that. I’m guessing you’re a FF by your handle! Where at? I just retired 3 months ago!

Jeel

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How are those scarabs for docking without the independent throttles for each engine to make slow speed turning easier

FloridaKen

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
How are those scarabs for docking without the independent throttles for each engine to make slow speed turning easier
@Jeel For me, it's been a bit of a challenge. I've only had my boat about two weeks and I'm a first time boat owner, but I've operated outboards and inboards before, but never a jet boat. So I have the slow speed maneuvering hurdle as well as learning all the other boating related things like navigation through the many SW Florida low water areas. The Scarab's do have only one throttle for twin engines unlike the Yamaha's with two throttles. I'm not really very good with the twin throttle skill either, so for me, it's just a matter of practicing. I'm told by the Scarab veterans that once you figure it out, you'll realize just how maneuverable they really are and there will be almost no situation you can't maneuver yourself through with ease and the prop guys will be jealous. I'm not there yet! 😂

Firechic78

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 ID
Boat Length
Yes. Work for LAFD. 17 yrs now. Congrats on retirement.
We took it out yesterday and it was amazing. Really challenged ourselves maneuvering in tight coves, huge confidence booster. Docking is getting easier and easier. Couldn’t imagine having two throttles. I would be a mess. Lol. Still tricky loading it onto trailer but much better than first time. Honestly the delay in steering response is the only downside but it’s becoming less noticeable the more we use it. Practice makes perfect. All in all I am very happy with our purchase.

FloridaKen

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yes. Work for LAFD. 17 yrs now. Congrats on retirement.
We took it out yesterday and it was amazing. Really challenged ourselves maneuvering in tight coves, huge confidence booster. Docking is getting easier and easier. Couldn’t imagine having two throttles. I would be a mess. Lol. Still tricky loading it onto trailer but much better than first time. Honestly the delay in steering response is the only downside but it’s becoming less noticeable the more we use it. Practice makes perfect. All in all I am very happy with our purchase.
No question the steering delay takes some getting used to. But like you, that's getting easier. It's the docking, maneuvering through the marina, and pulling up to the fuel pump that I'm still struggling with. But my dealer assures me that before long it will be second nature.

alchemist

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 ID
Boat Length
Great looking boat, we have the same exterior color and impact graphics. We too had one of the coolant reservoirs empty out. Refilled it and has been solid ever since, so the air in the system theory is plausible. What color interior did you get? We have the congac and love it. Enjoy, we have put 40 hours on ours this summer and love the boat.

Firechic78

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 ID
Boat Length
Thanks. We are having a blast. Aside from the learning curve in driving and the occasional dock kiss and expletive that follows we love it. We have the light grey interior. Seats we just keep covered with towels and the floor stays nice and cool even in 112 degree weather.

alchemist

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 ID
Boat Length
Thanks. We are having a blast. Aside from the learning curve in driving and the occasional dock kiss and expletive that follows we love it. We have the light grey interior. Seats we just keep covered with towels and the floor stays nice and cool even in 112 degree weather.
We had a Yamaha before this and once we got used to the Scarab low speed handling, we like it better. Yes, we kissed the dock a few times as well, makes you learn fast. Watch out, the impact graphics are fairly delicate on sharp edges. Found that out the hard way, cha-ching $$$$. And you cannot order just one of the sections, you need to order BOTH SIDES at the same time.

Firechic78

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 ID
Boat Length
Of course you can’t. Lol. I want to name the boat “It’s always something”. Hahaha. This forum has definitely made me feel 100x more comfortable. It’s an amazing resource. Thank you to all that reply with advice and tips.