• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New member from Colorado w/ a Sugar Sand Tango

TJSHawkey

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
Hi all,

Brand new member here, I'm John from Colorado, I've been looking at boats for several months and through my research, google has landed me on this site many times. So wanted to join and thank you all for the helpful information, I'm looking forward to learning more as I am a novice on Jet Boats.

My son and I were seeking a boat primarily for fishing, but also with the ability to do some light water sports and fun to drive (tubes/kneeboards etc). I stumbled upon a 2000 Sugar Sand Tango with the Sport Jet 175. For a 20 year old boat its in really good shape with a solid hull, clean motor and newer interior. Bought it from the 2nd owner who's had it since 2014. Fit our needs and the price was right so we pulled the trigger yesterday.

Couple questions off the bat;
1. Any tips on finding the correct service manual? The Mercury website doesn't recognize my engine serial number for some reason. I've found several manuals online for $5-$30, just want to make sure I order the right one. The previous owner said he never did any freeze protection (in Denver), said its self draining. So he just mixed stabilizer into a full tank of fuel and fogged the carb until stall. Would just like to confirm anything else needed per the manual and also get a caught up on maintenance.

2. I haven't had a 2 stoke motor since a 1970's era motorcycle I had in the 80's. Back then I pre-mixed the fuel, so this oiler system in new to me. I'd appreciate any links to quality information on the SJ175 2-stroke oiler system.

3. Any tips or pointers on polishing the oxidization and water staining off the hull?

4. Lastly, has anyone had luck locating Sugar Sand parts recently. I would like to find a stern side vent cover.

Apologize, this ended up being a longer introduction than I intended. As I typed more questions entered my mind.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congratulations on the purchase!

The only thing that I can help you with is the polishing. I used Hula boat care products on my boat last winter and they held up well through this last season.
If the Oxidization is too bad you may have to wet sand like @zipper did.

Jane305

Reaction score
Boat Make
Grady White
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Welcome to the forum.

3. The first thing you will need to do is to wash and dry your boat. This step will allow you to remove loose contaminants without damaging the layer of wax right on top of it.

The next step is to use an oxidation remover to strip the surface of imperfections such as oxidation, scum lines, scratches, water spots, and stains. In doing this step, you can use a cloth towel if you don’t have any equipment with you. However, it is best if you invest in a machine polisher or buffing machine because it will make the process more convenient and less time-consuming.

Once the impurities have been removed, you can now apply a polish or wax to ensure that you add a layer of protection and shine so that the boat’s surface will be less prone to oxidation.

Bilmon

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
Welcome aboard, here's a link to the Merc manual for your 175 Boatinfo - Mercury Service Manual for 175xr SportJet . They are self draining but it is also recommended that the gear lube in the pump and stator be changed at the end of the season to be sure no water leak has developed. I think the procedure is in the manual. Engine parts aren't much of a problem but SugarSand specific parts are scarce, those Tango vents in particular are rare. Was someone in the Sugar Sand facebook looking to 3D print them but don't know if it ever worked out. Lot of guy's with the 175 switch to premix because early years were prone to oil pump failure, believe by 2000 Merc had improved the pump but I'm not certain on that