• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New Owner: Sea Doo 210 Wake | New York City / Nantucket

Hugh S.

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Hello,

Very nice to meet everyone! I am about to close on a 17-hour 2010 Sea-Doo 210 Wake (430hp) that was kept on a ball in salt water (yes I know, not the perfect way to dock a jet boat!). I will be trailering it from Nantucket and putting it in a boat slip at the 79th street boat basin in Manhattan's Upper West Side. The boat is currently in Nantucket, Mass.

A few questions upfront:
1) The best place for fair-priced repairs on Sea-Doo Jet Boats between Hyannis to NYC. I believe the boat needs 1) new bottom paint 2) Summer-ized 3) cleaned impellers / general tlc on the intakes. This boat was last operated in 2019. Because I am inexperienced, I don't want to go into the shop and get destroyed on price by saying 'find everything wrong with the boat'. In an ideal world, that is what I would like to do (audio system, ballast bag system, etc).

2) What should I look out for in terms of pricing for various jobs / what should I specifically request off the bat? Again, do not want to get murdered on overpriced repairs.

3) Best boat launch ramps near manhattan / west side? I know I will be challenged for options, but such is life in NYC.

4) Does anyone else here boat in Manhattan?

Thank you!!
-Hugh S.

PS: ~was recommended to also post here~ posted the same thing on the general intro page.

Last edited:

Joe Starbuck

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Sorry this post is a month old. Almost nobody works on these. Call Big Wave Craig in Hyannis. Are you sure someone bottom painted a Wake 210? That would be unusual. I suspect the just pumps are full of barnacles and may need to be replaced. It’s kind of a miracle that the boat is still afloat, and the bilge pump is still removing water since last running in 2019. Actually finding any Seadoo boat for sale in 2021 is a minor miracle. Are you trailering it on the ferry?

Hugh S.

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I really appreciate the reply. Yeah I am going to try to trailer it on the ferry. Very good to hear that you think it would have major issues since I was also considering towing it across to Hyannis from Nantucket. The boat has been maintained for years by Big Wave Craigs and frankly the previous owner was not impressed by their work. Side note: The boat is still winterized since 2019 (it’s been out of the water for over a year in storage). The boat only has 17 hours on it total, however I bet barnacles are going to come into play for sure. Hopefully 5k for two new jet pumps if it comes to it?

Hugh S.

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Sorry this post is a month old. Almost nobody works on these. Call Big Wave Craig in Hyannis. Are you sure someone bottom painted a Wake 210? That would be unusual. I suspect the just pumps are full of barnacles and may need to be replaced. It’s kind of a miracle that the boat is still afloat, and the bilge pump is still removing water since last running in 2019. Actually finding any Seadoo boat for sale in 2021 is a minor miracle. Are you trailering it on the ferry?
Thank you so much again

Joe Starbuck

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I really appreciate the reply. Yeah I am going to try to trailer it on the ferry. Very good to hear that you think it would have major issues since I was also considering towing it across to Hyannis from Nantucket. The boat has been maintained for years by Big Wave Craigs and frankly the previous owner was not impressed by their work. Side note: The boat is still winterized since 2019 (it’s been out of the water for over a year in storage). The boat only has 17 hours on it total, however I bet barnacles are going to come into play for sure. Hopefully 5k for two new jet pumps if it comes to it?
Yes, 5K should do it. The expensive stuff is super chargers and carbon seal replacement (makes sense to do them together). But, at 17 hours, neither of those things are due for service. The previous owner may not be impressed by Big Wave, but then again he kept the boat on a mooring, so…. Towing it would also work as long as the battery is good, bilge pump works, you know it’s not taking on unusual amounts of water, and you clamp the cooling water hose to both engines to keep seawater out of the exhaust pipe (the procedure is described in the owners manual). Plus, make sure you have 1 foot seas and less than 10 knot wind, like today!

Hugh S.

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Yes, 5K should do it. The expensive stuff is super chargers and carbon seal replacement (makes sense to do them together). But, at 17 hours, neither of those things are due for service. The previous owner may not be impressed by Big Wave, but then again he kept the boat on a mooring, so…. Towing it would also work as long as the battery is good, bilge pump works, you know it’s not taking on unusual amounts of water, and you clamp the cooling water hose to both engines to keep seawater out of the exhaust pipe (the procedure is described in the owners manual). Plus, make sure you have 1 foot seas and less than 10 knot wind, like today!
I am going to have the boat in a boat slip in the Hudson River. Brackish water so not as bad but not ideal. How much is the Carbon Seal? I think supercharger rebuild is around 1k each.

Joe Starbuck

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I am going to have the boat in a boat slip in the Hudson River. Brackish water so not as bad but not ideal. How much is the Carbon Seal? I think supercharger rebuild is around 1k each.
The seal is cheap (less than $100 per engine), but the supercharger is in the way, so doing them together makes sense, and the labor will get you, unless the seal is really leaking, then you have to do it right away. By the way, the SC rebuild is 1K, after you get it out of the boat.

Last edited:

Hugh S.

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
The seal is cheap (less than $100 per engine), but the supercharger is in the way, so doing them together makes sense, and the labor will get you, unless the seal is really leaking, then you have to do it right away. By the way, the SC rebuild is 1K, after you get it out of the boat.
Ok got it. That’s great advice. Do you think there is anything I should do to help bullet proof the boat in the slip? I wish I had a lift but unfortunately not happening. also, with only 17 hours, I wonder how much this would sell for assuming top notch condition post-refresh and repairs?

Joe Starbuck

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I just paid 25K for a 2012 Challenger 230, 84 hours, 430 Hp, brand new pumps, and I think I got a bargain. Your 2010 210 Wake should command 19K to 25K. But the market is crazy, so anything could happen.

Joe Starbuck

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Have you looked at the floating lifts?

Hugh S.

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I just paid 25K for a 2012 Challenger 230, 84 hours, 430 Hp, brand new pumps, and I think I got a bargain. Your 2010 210 Wake should command 19K to 25K. But the market is crazy, so anything could happen.
Yeah I am confident the Wake will command a premium since it has the upgrades, my guess would be 30k+ considering these 300 skis are going for 20k. And I can’t do a lift, 79th street boat basin nyc won’t allow.

Joe Starbuck

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Yeah I am confident the Wake will command a premium since it has the upgrades, my guess would be 30k+ considering these 300 skis are going for 20k. And I can’t do a lift, 79th street boat basin nyc won’t allow.
Well, I certainly see them listed for $40K, so you never know!

Hugh S.

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Hey Joe and everyone, just wanted to say I ended up using Big Wave Craigs and it went very well. Thank you for your advice! The boat looks amazing. I will post pictures soon. I am doing the final touches: the sound system is probably bust and I need to replace it, and I am going for Cobra Jet Fins. Any thoughts on replacing audio? I don't need anything crazy and don't want to start cutting holes in the boat.

Joe Starbuck

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Hey Joe and everyone, just wanted to say I ended up using Big Wave Craigs and it went very well. Thank you for your advice! The boat looks amazing. I will post pictures soon. I am doing the final touches: the sound system is probably bust and I need to replace it, and I am going for Cobra Jet Fins. Any thoughts on replacing audio? I don't need anything crazy and don't want to start cutting holes in the boat.
Good to hear. I have no thoughts on audio, as I am old and like to listen to the water. Regarding Cobra Jet fins, hmmmm. My first time driving I was worried that the boat could not be used at no wake speed. I was wrong. Since my First Mate and I learned to steer it, it is great at low speed. I even look forward to precision docking moves, at least when the conditions are good.