• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New owner-Stuck in reverse

sanes8705

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Hello all. New to jet boats (and boats in general). Recently purchased a 2008 Sea-Doo 180 Challenger and took it out for the first time this past weekend. The boat ran great (outside of the bilge pump going out and almost sinking 😅), but upon trailering the boat got stuck in reverse and would not go forward. I shifted back and forth a few times to see if it would get unstuck but nothing, still wanted to go backwards. We eventually roped it onto the trailer and got it home.

Once we got home, I had my wife shift back and forth and I noticed the reverse gate is stuck down. I can force it upwards with my hand but it will not go back up on its own when shifting back into neutral or forward. I’m guessing it’s something to do with the reverse cable? I can see the cable move a bit but it does not move the reverse gate at all. Any tips or knowledge on this would be greatly appreciated!

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Congrats on the new boat and welcome to the forum.

Was in working fine before you trailered it? Is it possible you hit something taking it out of the water?

Try disconnecting the cable linkage from the reverse gate. That should at least tell you whether it’s the gate or the cable. Both should move freely.

And post some pictures. That might us with the diagnosis.

sanes8705

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length

Was in working fine before you trailered it? Is it possible you hit something taking it out of the water?

Try disconnecting the cable linkage from the reverse gate. That should at least tell you whether it’s the gate or the cable. Both should move freely.

Worked fine all day until I got about 15 feet from the ramp. I put it in reverse to slow down a bit, then back in drive and gave it some throttle to ease up on the trailer but it just kept going in reverse. I’ll work on getting some pictures.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I am not sure about yours but on the Yamaha's going to reverse near the ramp can sometimes kick up gravel off the bottom that gets jambed in the reverse bucket. Take a look at the rotating parts for small rocks.

sanes8705

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length

Here are a some pictures. The first 4 are while in reverse. The last 4 are while in drive. Putting it in reverse pushes the gate all the way down. Putting it in forward only pulls the gate up to about a 45 degree angle.

Attachments

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Hi! :Welcome: to the forum. Here is your problem. This piece must be pushed down. This is the nut which controls your buckets position. There needs to be a cap to protect it and a SS cotter pin to hold the cap down.

1591055386021.png

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Here's a picture of what it should look like. When pushing the nut back or forward into the hole, do not turn it. This will adjust the bucket and may give you unfavorable results. You may have to disconnect the cable from the bucket to do this.

1591056075475.png

When assembling the cable rod back onto the fixture, make sure the hole in the rod slides onto the sleeve and there is no gap. Be sure to tighten this lock nut. You don't want that falling or vibrating off.
1591056443989.png

sanes8705

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Hi! :Welcome: to the forum. Here is your problem. This piece must be pushed down. This is the nut which controls your buckets position. There needs to be a cap to protect it and a SS cotter pin to hold the cap down.

View attachment 121176
So is it possible I just need the pieces in the diagram? I was able to make it stay in the hole for a few shifts and works properly but obviously it will not stay down in its current condition.

Attachments

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
As long as items 35 and 36 are not damaged and fit into their respective places you're fine. The cap #37 and cotter pin #38 is what you need. The cotter pin keeps the cap in place. Make sure it's stainless steel so it doesn't rust.

sanes8705

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
As long as items 35 and 36 are not damaged and fit into their respective places you're fine. The cap #37 and cotter pin #38 is what you need. The cotter pin keeps the cap in place. Make sure it's stainless steel so it doesn't rust.
What keeps it from coming out of the hole every time? I don’t see where it threads into anything on the bottom side of it.

Attachments

sanes8705

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Is it the cotter pin and cap that hold it in place?

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Is it the cotter pin and cap that hold it in place?
Yes. It's kinda hokey/poor idea but it works As long as the cap cannot come off, everything stays in place.