• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

New Owner with Warranty Question

Corbitt

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hello All!

I am the new owner of a 2014 242 Limited S! First time to own a Yamaha Jet Boat... My First question is: These come with a One Year Bow to Stern Warranty, do you recommend the 4 year extension and why? They are asking for $2,500 for this and I feel that's a bit much for a boat that is supposed to have such great reliability.

Thanks!
Scott

Attachments

• 27897_large.jpg
    27897_large.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 7
Welcome aboard Scott and congrats on the new boat. You're right about these boats being very reliable. It's a hard decision. It will help resale value if you end up selling it in the next few years. Also, you can purchase the warranty from any dealer. So call around, prices often are negotiable.

You do not have to pay that price for your extended warranty. Since you already purchased the boat and did not get it included in the deal, call around to other dealerships to see what they will sell it to you for. You may be surprised at the price difference from dealer to dealer. You do not have to buy from the dealer you purchased the boat from. You can also use the cheaper purchase price to get your dealer to come down on his price. That price seems high for an additional 4 years. That said, having mine included in the deal for free, I am glad I had it, due to the year 2010 boats having problems with the oil cooler on the engines. Congratulations on your new toy and Welcome to the best forum out there to help you learn about and enjoy your boat.

Congrats on the new boat and welcome to the forum! One stop shopping for knowledge and help learning your new boat. I agree with the others, expect to pay somewhere in the vicinity of $1400-1800 for the extra 4 years. It is a revenue source for a dealer, so there is little motivation for them to offer it to you at a discount after the delivery. But a sale is a sale, and there is little work involved for a few hundred dollars of profit that they would not have had anyway, so if you want it, let them know your shopping it around and if they want to sell it, get their best price. It is peace of mind, but not too many have to use it, or are willing to drive and leave the boat during the season to use it. But it will make the boat more attractive should you need to sell it. Good luck with the boat, the season, and welcome to JETBOATERS.NET!

Thanks for all of the input! I appreciate it. Looking forward to participating in the Forum!
SCC

I would not pay for any extended warranty. Yamaha Boats are extremely reliable. Very few will win the bet that repairs end up costing more than they paid for the warranty. The 2010 1.8 engines may have been the exception but that oil cooler bolt issue has been fixed for four years.

May I offer a suggestion ?
Try STADIUM YAMAHA in Irving, TX.
They CAN sell you this warranty, and they are known for really GOOD DISCOUNTS from Yamaha "list prices."
Address: 520 W Airport Fwy, Irving, TX 75062
Phone:(972) 445-0825
http://www.stadiumyamaha.com/oemparts/c/yamaha/parts
Good Luck, Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

PS - Please let us know how you do.

I think in large part it depends on who you are and your level of comfort with risk in your new boat.

I am very mechanically inclined, have worked on cars for years, rebuilt carbs, replaced u-joints, cv-joints, done points, caps, plugs, etc. But I have never had a boat. And it made the spouse much more comfortable that this $$$ investment would have an extended warranty on it. So we got it.

Now that I have had it, fixed it, etc., I would probably not get the warranty again. But, now I have had a boat. Fixed a boat, etc.

Do I regret the $ I spent on the warranty? Not for a minute. She would not have let me get the boat without it... :)

Back