• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

new POS 2018 Yam 242x. Reliability nope.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Batteries are supposed to have a common ground wire bridging the negative terminals. If the small black wire is hooked to ground but there is not a common ground for the batteries a similar issue will occur. Provided all is wired right, tight, and batteries did not get harmed by sitting in discharge then it may be time to take it back to the dealer. I would likley check all harness connectors are tight as well in the engine compartment and behind the helm.

Good Luck

tek4fun

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I gotta tell you guys something I learned. When I got my '17 212 LS I was shocked at the shoddy build quality. I've been in the auto industry for like 4 decades. The build quality of cars and trucks is pretty darn good these days. The stuff they missed on the Yamaha boat assembly was disappointing. Just dumb stuff that the guys putting them together shouldn't have missed or done wrong.

Then we bought a new motorhome. Lol. You guys have NO IDEA what shoddy build quality is. It would take 5 forum pages for me to start to tell you how much stuff I've had to fix or completely rebuild on a brand new RV. It would shock and horrify all of you, many of the things they screwed up would have resulted in fires, catastrophic failures while driving or just plain death. How about 30 amp 110 volt AC service lines laying over the leaf springs next to the rear wheels? Yeah, that's one of hundreds of issues.

So my point is, this shoddy workmanship is what America has come to. Our assembly quality of things like boats or RV's is far below China at this point. But as far as these Yamaha boats specifically, count yourself lucky. It's really not that bad and is infinitely better than ANY new RV on the road, regardless of price or manufacturer. If you're bored, google search on "Elkhart Indiana and Worker Shortages" or "Problems in the RV Industry". What's happening in Elkhart is crazy.
I am originally from Elkhart, IN and lived there most of my life. This city went from the hardest hit by the economic downturn in 2008 to a workers dream area currently with 2.1 percent unemployment, primarily because of the RV industry and it's suppliers. Fast food places are begging for workers, because everyone has went to work in the RV industry. Imagine waiting in line a half hour at lunch for food, because they do not have enough staff to keep up. As far as the quality issues at the plants, they have to compete so badly for workers that some of the places have dropped drug testing because they would not be able to get enough workers , if they kept testing. People taking Meth. and other drugs is horrible there. You are absolutely correct in saying that what is happening in Elkhart is crazy.

tek4fun

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
For future reference, the red light blinking on the Wet sounds amplifier is actually a warning code. I am including what they mean here. These codes can really help narrow down what may be wrong with an amplifier. I am glad to hear though that most of your issues were resolved with hooking up the DVSR wire. Mainah was correct in saying that these components can be very sensitive to the voltage going below 12 volts.
Wet sounds HTX fault_blink codes.JPG