• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New sx 190 owner

Par190sx

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looking for advice with taking out a jet boat for the 1st time. Any advice would be helpful thank u in advance. Also will it much louder than a I/o?

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome. You've come to the right place.

It won't be much louder. I fully expected our 190 to scream, but its actually on par with most boats I feel.

First time out, take it slow. Watch some videos before you go out. Know what to expect.

Have a plan. There's a great checklist here. Search the forum for it. Use it.

Make sure your transom straps are off. Your plugs are in. Take your time. Go mid week when lake and ramps are deserted.

Have a friend or two to help with bumpers and to be ready to grab docks and save your boat if your no good at getting close to the dock. Buy them Beer later.

Spend the day getting to know the boat. Take your time.

Practice by the courtesy docks near your ramp if you can. Dock, leave, approach, dock again.
Practice makes you better and more confident. Who cares what observers think.

Ask questions, turns out none of them are dumb.

Enjoy your new boat.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If you are towing people (tubes, skiers, etc.), always have somebody in charge of the rope. It only takes a split second for a ski rope to get sucked under the boat and into the jet intake where it will wrap around your impeller shaft if you have rope slack in the water. If you stop your forward momentum instruct someone to bring it into the boat and/or kill the engines. Don't start it up with excess slack near the transom either. I learned the hard way.

Also I second what njmr2fan said above. If you aren't experienced backing a trailer, practice that before you hit a busy ramp too. The ramp can be very stressful on busy days and having annoyed people stare you down does not help. When you are at the ramp, there will inevitably be shitty people on occasion that forgot what it was like to be a new boat owner so seriously ignore them and focus on what you are there to do. Do yourself a favor though and make sure you load everything you will need for your outing before you are at the ramp, otherwise those angry people have every right to be pissed.

skbishop90

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Sounds like you have been on boats before by the question of the I/O noise level. So I'll save you some BS.

Once out on the water, the boat will handle similar to any other boat, WHILE UNDER THROTTLE. They best advice I can tell you is to think of this boat as a 19 foot waverunner. It handles the same. Once you let off the throttle, there is no steering. Meaning you will hit the dock or another boat or worse, a swimmer, without throttle. If you are familiar with waverunners and how to handle them in docking scenarios, you'll be fine. Forward, reverse, forward, revers, steer, forward, reverse, etc... You'll eventually be able to walk the boat sideways. You'll also notice that steering is similar to a waverunner as the wheel doesnt turn but 50% either way. Once under way, minor steering adjustments are needed. It handles VERY well. SO well that under WOT, you might scare yourself on the way the boat will corner. Again, its a 19ft jet ski. You'll love it. Take your time. Get to know your boat, yourself and learn how the boat is different to I/O's. Its not rocket science.