• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New SX190: Looking for Downsides of Common Performance Mods

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just purchased a '19 SX190 and while its still at the dealer awaiting spring here in Ohio I have been studying up using this forum. I have seen some pretty common modifications which improve the performance of the SX / AR 190. Assuming the Yamaha engineers made reasonable design decisions, the modifications probably have some sort of trade-off (reliability, safety, stability, top speed etc).

So I am curious what the potential trade-offs or cons are for the following modifications:
1. Ribbon / Spark Arrestor Delete
2. Lucky 13 Pump Cone
3. Thrust Vector / CJS
4. Impeller Swap
5. Cold Air Intake

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Congrats on the new boat and welcome to the forum!!

1. Technically you wouldn't be USCG compliant unless you have a flame arrestor. Some people who remove the ribbon also buy a K&N style air filter from Riva that also has a mesh spark arrestor. Personally in this day and age with modern fuel injection the chances of a backfire through your intake on a stock engine is slim to none. When I removed my ribbon I did not do a spark arrestor air filter. The engine will also sound a little different, kind of throatier and is better IMO.

2. Not sure of any drawbacks. @swatski loved it in his 190. Others have it too and I think they said it improved hole shot. Can't think of a negative having better hole shot. I can't recall if it affected their top speed.

3. Only negative I guess is you can't spin them as easy as you can without fins. Then again you kind of have to work the boat and set it up for a good spin. Otherwise CJS fins help at all speeds while TV help at slow speeds. Personally I would drive the boat stock for a little bit and decide if you want a different control and go from there.

4. @swatski has tested a few on his 190. I would not do solas simply because I've seen some scary pics of them destroying themselves. Unless you live at a high altitude I'd just stick with stock impeller.

5. I guess increased noise would be the negative with an air intake. I also don't think anyone gained power from trying to do a cold air intake. Not sure it would be worth the cost vs performance gains.

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks great info. I am going to use the boat for a summer before I make too many mods. The TV / CJS fins definitely have my interest. My previous jet boat was a 14' Sea Doo. It was a blast, but docking and loading in the wind at a busy ramp during an approaching thunderstorm was too exciting.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
1. Ribbon / Spark Arrestor Delete
No longer USCG Approved Vessel. You are removing the spark arrestor from the system on purpose. I deleted mine, and have no intentions of changing the air filter. The fuel fumes in the boat, as well as the chance of a backfire through the throttle are so minute, I'm OK with the risk.
2. Lucky 13 Pump Cone
You wallet will be $250 lighter. There is seriously no other drawback here, it's a solid product that works.
3. Thrust Vector / CJS
IMO, dive the boat before you buy these. People that say the boats are hard to maneauver/control/steer are inexperienced at Jet boating. The one exception to this is if you need to be able to toss the keys to anyone and have it behave like an I/O boat. Otherwise, save your money for fuel to burn while you learn how it handles and steers.
*edit* I see you still want to try these because of previous bad experiences. If you're getting a new boat with the rudder (sorry, articulating keel) then drive it a bit before you plunk down the cash on CJS or TV's. I moved straight from an I/O to a jet and haven't had a problem adjusting, so I'm biased against those products.
4. Impeller Swap
Save your money. @swatski did EXTENSIVE testing on his 190 and found the best all around impeller was the stock one. Again, run it for a year before you drop the coin, just because someone online says you "need it"........unless you're above 1.5k-2k elevation regularly, then pitching down will help.
5. Cold Air Intake
Again, save your money. Unless you are pulling cool air from outside the engine compartment it's a waste of time, effort, and money.

Last edited: