• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New tires and maybe rims

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am going to replace my tires with radials. I have galvanized rims now with wheel covers. I am considering new aluminum rims which would look better but wanted to see if these will hold up to salt water or brackish water. Thoughts? I was probably going to buy through etrailer. Any other places to look?

PeterB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Aluminum in salt water will likely oxidize - white powdery residue. Galvanized is the "practical" answer, but what is the trailer itself? If it is painted, it would eventually get rusty in salt water - likely inside the tubes. If painted, You could go for the better look of aluminum, and make sure you wash the trailer down regularly, and maybe get a corrosion protective rinse occasionally.
It really comes down to how many times you will launch in salt water, and how long you think you would keep this boat and trailer. I currently boat in fresh water, but used to be in NJ boating in salt water. Our last boat had a galvanized trailer and rims that still looked good (as good as galvanized can look) after 24 years of use. But no question that custom aluminum rims look a lot better. For me, I was more focused on the no worry maintenance of galvanized when faced with salt water boating. You may want to look at the posts and threads on tires. A few went with the Goodyear Endurance and had good comments on them. I have radials from a warranty upgrade - they are much better than the bias ply and we are getting better mileage as a benefit, along with a much more comfortable ride while towing.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you; The trailer is galvanized and the current rims are galvanized. I will drop in brackish mostly so maybe I will just replace the tires since the current rims have held up well and with the wheel covers, is a practical attempt to make them look better.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a galvanized mfi trailer previous owner painted black. I very rarely dump it into salt water. He upgraded the nicer rims, but def need to keep them washed off. If I was in brackish water all the time I wouldn't take the chance.

Make your maintenance easy so can e joy the boat more then working on it.