• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New to boating

Brad460

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I used my bucket to throw up in after my wife hit the dock with our last boat and put a gouge in it, right after we bought it. lol.
My dad "over-throttled" our Moomba one time after launching on Okauchee and ran the side of the boat into a barge (I was parking the truck).....Tore a hole right through to the inside of the boat... Scratched from front to back...lol

$4000 later it was like new. :winkingthumbsup"

Now only my wife or myself are authorized to launch the boat..lol

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That’s exactly what I’m scared of with this brand new (expensive to us) boat!😩
It's just a boat. Ours was the most expensive item we had ever purchased (besides our house). It's tiny to some, but a big deal to us.

We didn't buy it to look at though, we bought it to use, and enjoy. Along with that comes some bonks and bruises along the way.

Tow-mater explains the concept great in Cars2. His dents and dings are all reminders of great times with friends. That approach has served us well boating.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I came from a lifetime of boating with outboards. There is DEFINITELY a difference when you move to jet, but take your time and you'll do fine.

I strongly recommend taking the time to PRACTICE. As a father of 4 I understand full well how boring this is for the kids: "Dad - why are we putzing around this marker? Why do you keep turning us around in circles? Why....????" It has to be done though. You have to build the skills - and everyone who will pilot the boat should learn to do this.

One of the "self defense" guys I follow on YouTube has a great saying that applies to a lot of things in life: "You can't learn new s**t in the middle of a fight."

Applied to this situation: You don't want to learn to dock in a crosswind with and actual DOCK present. You want to have an imaginary dock attached to a stationary object that you can practice approaching but easily avoid hitting when things go wrong.

I drive my kids nuts for the first half-hour of our boating season because I insist on "messing around" to refresh my "feel" of how the boat reacts to control in puts. I'll be installing JetboatPilot Lateral Thrusters before this year's launch so I'm going to need extra play time to get used to them.

I concur with the masses regarding Memorial Day as a bad idea for your first trip out. In fact, I simply refuse to bring my boat anywhere near a lake on Memorial Day or July 4th. That's "Amateur Hour" taken to a whole new level: Amateur Boaters, Amateur Drinkers, Amateur Drinkers Boating and Amateur Boaters Drinking. I'll pass.

Rushfan67

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
222S
Boat Length
Welcome and Congratulations. Like all of the others have said take some time to practice. I came from owning several I/O’s and it took a bit with the Jet. Docking is a little different and one of the best things I invested in was trailer guides. Good luck with the new boat and congratulations again!

F27ABEFA-4E0B-46A3-B9CE-6D6FEAE1A00D.jpeg

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The first time we went out was a week day when nobody was around. We launched and did some practice maneuvers. One thing you can try is pulling up to an empty mooring ball as if it were a dock. That will get you used to slow maneuverability and using short bursts of power to help with the steering. You should also practice a few launches and retrievals. I would go out without friends or family the first time. Fewer distractions. Have fun.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congratulations! My advice is to take every part that's new to you slow. Besides that, just have fun!

Last edited: