• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New(to me) Yamaha 242 owner!

Mid life crisis

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
We just picked up a 2014 242 Limited S and man is this thing a monster compared to the Four Winns Horizon 170 we are coming from. Already trying to research and figure out what is needed. The previous owner put a sweet system in it but that’s about it. Only 100 hours. Really looking forward to getting this boat out on the lake!

Any specifics I should know or watch out for on this boat? I usually research everything but with the used market being bat-sh!t crazy I had to jump on this one.

Need to pick up a new cover for it. Reading up on thrust vector thingies. Sea Dek stuff. Pretty overwhelming but we are definitely excited. Any recommendations for Facebook groups?

Attachments

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Mid life crisis

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Congratulations that is a great color

The scupper valves are known to break get a water alarm and keep a plug on board that fits that hole

these models also had problems with the oil cooler breaking bolts keep an eye on that

overall very solid boats
thanks for the info! I’ll order some of those now. I’ll do some more research on “scuppers” because that’s a new word for me.

four_the_kids

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We just picked up a 2014 242 Limited S and man is this thing a monster compared to the Four Winns Horizon 170 we are coming from. Already trying to research and figure out what is needed. The previous owner put a sweet system in it but that’s about it. Only 100 hours. Really looking forward to getting this boat out on the lake!

Any specifics I should know or watch out for on this boat? I usually research everything but with the used market being bat-sh!t crazy I had to jump on this one.

Need to pick up a new cover for it. Reading up on thrust vector thingies. Sea Dek stuff. Pretty overwhelming but we are definitely excited. Any recommendations for Facebook groups?
We believe you'll have many years of enjoyment with it :thumbsup:
We have been very fortunate with ours, never experienced any major issues!
Just like any hot rod, classic car, motorcycle, etc. (and of course, the "better half"), you can't neglect them.
Besides the stereo upgrade, we are set to install a noco 3 bank on-board charger, dual flag poles and mounts for the down tubes, ballast bags for wake surfing, two hyperlite wakesurf boards and travel bags, wake setter, reborn wakeboard rack w/swivel, reborn dual wakesurf rack w/swivel, cobrajet steering, anchors, tubes. ropes, fenders, and the list goes on.
You'll custom tailor it to your families activities/interest, like we all have (don't we ? ? ? ?).

meegwell

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
fine looking boat. congrats... as probably mentioned, this forum will navigate you damn well.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
thanks for the info! I’ll order some of those now. I’ll do some more research on “scuppers” because that’s a new word for me.
Actually, we have the same generation 242. The scupper has been updated on this hull, yours will be fine.
The oil cooler bolts were only an issue in 2010, so you will be fine.
And you have the most beautiful Yacht Blue and will be the envy of everyone around you, (i'm biased)

Someone may bring up that the 2014-2015 models had potential timing chain issues. And that is the only year specific potential issue with your boat and it would have had to have been a late build. Sorry to say, there is little chance of knowing. You can run the Hull ID number with a Yamaha dealer to see if it had been addressed. But I would not worry too much about it, as its just one of those things that are out of your control. And there are more boats out there running fine, than those that have failed.

If you do plan on cruising around slowly with a bow full of folks (we love doing that, as the bow is awesome) I put a drain plug on the inside of the anchor locker drain hole. We rarely put a dripping wet anchor in, so I can always pull it. But it will put a significant amount of water in your hull if you are bow heavy.

Other than that, normal oil changes annually, and it will be a rock solid boat. I have no idea what I would replace ours with.

Thunderseye

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

looks just like ours, we bought ours last year... we love it

Tjw961

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Due to age of your boat I would replace your scupper to a metal one like this, or the one that is a little shorter also works:

I took the advise found here after seeing mine was factory plastic and when I reached in to start disconnecting the hose it fell off in my hand as only about 15% of its diameter was left and not broken. Many discussions on above or below the water line for year of boat are here to read about, but to me anything that penetrates the hull is important to ensure its working and safe. I guess I'm particular that way after being in the Navy on submarines, but last thing I want is to be dealing with too much water inside my boat while on the water.

I just ordered and recieved new metal pissers and bilge drain outlet in metal as well and will be replacing them today. Another plastic part with age or damage can be a problem at the wrong time and is really not hard to address up front IMHO.

Other than those safety items (to me at least) we really love our Yamaha and look forward to many more years of use.

@biffdotorg thanks for mentioning the oil cooler bolt item, I'll start researching that one since that falls on my year. Another great example of how this sight can educate you and point you in the right direction so we can enjoy our boats as much as possible while avoiding some pain with issues, especially while on the water! Thank you all for the help!

Hope you enjoy your new to you boat @Mid life crisis like we have!