• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New to salt away and need some instructions on how to use it properly

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Using salt away for the first time and wanted to know how the experts use it.

From what I’ve ready this is what I’m going to do unless told differently.

Flush each engine with fresh water on the hose for 5 min each then turn salt away to on and let it start foaming and run it for 30-45 seconds then kill the water supply to hose then blow out engine water revving twice then turn engine off. It says on their instructions to only run 30-45 seconds once you see foaming out of the engine. I would have always thought you fill the little cap with salt away and flush till the cap is empty for each engine. But maybe that would take way too long?

Seems like they want the salt away product to stay in the system of the boat all week but when you do the water blow out at the end doesn’t it blow out all the remaining salt away in the system? Or it blows out the majority of the water but some salt away remains?

Let me know your thoughts and how you do it.

Thanks!

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I usually use salt-away first then flush the engines for about 10 minutes. I then turn off the water and rev the engine a few times to blow the water out. [flag]
Thanks so much for the response. From what I’ve read on their instructions this seems backward to what is supposed to be done but that is definitely why am asking the questions as I want to make sure I am doing it correctly. It says in their instructions you flush the engines with fresh water first and then use the salt away second so that the salt away remains in the system to continue eating the salt when you’re not using the boat. Thanks again for replying.

AJack

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think you'll find many different variations. For instance, I rinse with fresh water for 5-7 minutes, then get the mixture through the jets until the dispenser is clear, then shut off and rev the engines. I believe some only use fresh water. In the end, if you're performing some kind of fresh water flush, you'll be fine.

Thanks so much for the response. From what I’ve read on their instructions this seems backward to what is supposed to be done but that is definitely why am asking the questions as I want to make sure I am doing it correctly. It says in their instructions you flush the engines with fresh water first and then use the salt away second so that the salt away remains in the system to continue eating the salt when you’re not using the boat. Thanks again for replying.

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I flush with West Marine's anti-salt solution for 5 minutes (the dispenser goes clear before the end of the flush) after every outing. I also use a garden chemical sprayer mixer hose attachment (a few ounces in the sprayer) to spray down the inside and out side of the boat, and I do that first to allow it to work while I am flushing the engine.

n1111z

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I just started using it on my new boat and I'm going to go with the instructions, flush with water 5 minutes then SA 1 minute. I boat in salt water about a week at a time then put my boat on a lift for a month or 2, I'm very concerned about corrosion. My boat is black, I've been very impressed how it gets the salt off the hull with a single rinse.

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I just started using it on my new boat and I'm going to go with the instructions, flush with water 5 minutes then SA 1 minute. I boat in salt water about a week at a time then put my boat on a lift for a month or 2, I'm very concerned about corrosion. My boat is black, I've been very impressed how it gets the salt off the hull with a single rinse.
So at the very end after the salt away are you going to blow the water out by revving your engines or leave the water and the salt away in the system?

Last edited:

n1111z

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
No I think you need to rev the engines with the water off at the end as per Yamaha instructions. The SA will still be in there. You have to be careful, engines get hot very fast with the cooling water off. I have gotten an overtemp alarm before.

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So I’ve put putting in the amount shown in picture 1 below (Flushing for 5 min first on fresh water). Then flushing with dark blue color salt away straight from salt away container for 1 minute. Turn it to off then blow out excess water. Then I uninstall from first engine and move to the second engine to repeat same process. Between engines the salt away container looks like pic 2. I dump out the stuff in pic 2 and dump fresh dark blue stuff in again for the second engine. Is this a waste as the remaining light blue watered down stuff in pic 2 should be used for the second engine? Let me know your thoughts. Don’t want to waste expensive product.

Is the watered down stuff in pic 2 just as effective until the blue color is gone completely?

Attachments

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would use the light blue stuff to rinse the salt off your boat and trailer. especially the undercarriage of the trailer, springs and fenders. Don't waste it.

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I would use the light blue stuff to rinse the salt off your boat and trailer. especially the undercarriage of the trailer, springs and fenders. Don't waste it.
Thanks so much for the response. I’m on a lift so don’t have to worry too much about the trailer and stuff. But definitely could spray it on the sides of the boat. I guess my biggest question is should I not use the light blue stuff that’s left over from first engine flush for the second engine?

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
So I’ve put putting in the amount shown in picture 1 below (Flushing for 5 min first on fresh water). Then flushing with dark blue color salt away straight from salt away container for 1 minute. Turn it to off then blow out excess water. Then I uninstall from first engine and move to the second engine to repeat same process. Between engines the salt away container looks like pic 2. I dump out the stuff in pic 2 and dump fresh dark blue stuff in again for the second engine. Is this a waste as the remaining light blue watered down stuff in pic 2 should be used for the second engine? Let me know your thoughts. Don’t want to waste expensive product.

Is the watered down stuff in pic 2 just as effective until the blue color is gone completely?
Could you double the amount in the first picture? Then you should have enough for the second engine.

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I could but it seems like either way it would be really watered down after the first engine. I guess my thought is the fresh stuff works better (the dark blue stuff fresh from the bottle) since it’s only supposed to be used for 30 seconds.

Last edited:

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Those container mix at a specified rate. The more you put in there the longer it will last.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks so much for the response. I’m on a lift so don’t have to worry too much about the trailer and stuff. But definitely could spray it on the sides of the boat. I guess my biggest question is should I not use the light blue stuff that’s left over from first engine flush for the second engine?
I let it run till it's almost clear. You may want to put a little less in the container so as not to waste it. You could also pour the diluted residual into a small container to use in spraying down the hull when you're done with the engines.

By the way...Just picked up a gallon at Walmart $55.60 + free delivery to the store. I used to get the best price on Ebay.