• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New to the board and jet boats

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you have any video of riding? Now I'm interested.
Dunno that I have any video of me riding. I'm pretty boring to watch though as I mostly just do surface spins and kickflips out in the flats, or play with balancing on the edge of the wake with the board sideways. It's a ton of fun for me to do, but not much to watch really.

These guys are a lot more fun to watch:

Just go to Youtube and search for Pro-Wakeskate and you can see all kinds of cool tricks done on them. I usually ride around 18-19mph and it makes for a nice easy fall when I screw up. Surface spins are easy to learn and most people are impressed with them that your buddies will think you're a hero on the board :D.

The best part is there is almost ZERO prep time to get a few pulls in. Literally toss on a jacket, throw out the rope and board, hop out into the water, and go. When you're done it all stows back away in the same small amount of time. No muss no fuss, and I swear it's easier on the body than wakeboarding. Maybe not as easy on you as surfing, but the prep time kills surfing for me.

WetWillie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
That is really freaking sweet; might have to pick up that $99 board to see how hard it is to get up on the water... you have any pics of your board? Their site was only partially loading for me.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yea, thier site is a mess lately. Not sure what the deal is there. Let me go digging in the archives of my pics nad see what I can find.

Here is a folder to some of my older pics of the last skate I had. I sold it with the last boat, but it's the same model as the one I have now. There are some action shots in there from the first year I owned that board/boat. I'm a little more....um....graceful...now......At least thats what I like to tell myself anyway.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/IKRwmmKcSQ1lpYf93

I'll try to borrow the office GoPro this weekend and get some footage from the new boat with the new board.

WetWillie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Very cool photos man, I'm assuming that the cheaper hundred dollar board was the one with no graphics on it. Seems like a pretty neat concept but I wonder if it's harder to get up on then a wakeboard?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Very cool photos man, I'm assuming that the cheaper hundred dollar board was the one with no graphics on it. Seems like a pretty neat concept but I wonder if it's harder to get up on then a wakeboard?
The black skate with the graphics was the $100 version. The other was a borrowed skate from a coworker. My new one is mostly white with some green graphics

Here is the one I just bought this season.....https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0064FRR3S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Looks like it's not available now for some reason. Ronix makes some really nice ones as well, but just to play around I would get a cheaper one. If you're ever in the Louisville KY area on a weekend, let me know and I'll get you a ride on one to try it out!

Getting up on the skate is VERY similar to the wakeboard. The biggest issues are no bindings (we'll address that in a second), and then the size of the skate is a little smaller, so it's "twitchy" as you come up. Otherwise they come up out of the water almost identically. To keep your feet on the board during a start I have the driver put it in gear/forward and give some tension on the rope. Laying backwards in the water letting the vest support your weight you can bring your feet up and use the tension on the rope and the water against the board to hold it on your feet. Once settled, have the driver give a smooth even throw from wherever they were to full throttle, then back off at 18-20mph. It's really not hard at all once you do it once. If you can ride a wakeboard, you can ride a wakeskate. Exact same balance and riding skills, just have to keep in mind it's a little squirrelly getting the initial upright, and you can't "jump" the board with just your legs pulling up.

Last edited:

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you recommend shoes since it's abrasive
Mine has a soft neoprene like foam on it and I ride barefoot. The really good guys wear shoes with grip tape on the board. Not sure I'll ever be good enough to notice the difference. Always wanted to try though to see what its like :D