• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New volvo penta forward drive system for surfing....

Pretty awsome. That drive does look pretty susceptable to damage.

Looks interesting (and a bit weird), but I'm sure it's not much different that a inboard or v-drive due to prop placement related to the hull.

Not knowing much about about lower unit maintenance, would this make it harder to get to for whatever maintenance they need?

Surf before you buy. In the first pic there is a pretty significant groove at the edge of the swim platform and the surfable wave is mostly outside the hull. This will likely suck you into the grove and the boat will not smooth out waves on the water as well. Just slapping a monster swim platform on for prop safety is not a cure all. Hull shape, swim platform shape, tabs, lean angle, etc play a big part. I am sure there will be lots of innovations and good things come out of this, but if you are a surf addict as opposed to an all around boater, there is nothing in this first gen I've seen yet that is gonna make you happy.

Hmmm...what do you know about surfing?:)
IMG_7839.JPG IMG_7930.JPG

@007 ...the bryant 233x has optional surf platform with wake wedges and foward drive. I wonder what the wake looks like on that boat

@007 ...the bryant 233x has optional surf platform with wake wedges and foward drive. I wonder what the wake looks like on that boat

Good question @Marrowcat .I'd love some real world comparisons. My concern is everyone is jumping on the surf band wagon finally, it's gonna be hard for the average consumer to know what is a gimic and what is a truly surfable wave until after they spend big$$. Every boat setup has compromises. It's hard to know what a boat is like without a day on the water with it.

@007 ....that's why I'm here....I'm looking for a boat that's good at everything, not just watersports. From what I've read on here a 212x or ar240 will fit the bill. Apparently @jcyamaharider has these boats dialed in?

@bobbie can better answer that question for you @marrowcat

@Morrowcat here's my 2014 212x with ballast and wake wedge.

Reactions: 007
@Morrowcat those were with some added on the seats and back. We have changed to aftermarket custom bags from wakemakers that are about 1100 a side and run on two different pumps.

On my personal record of 32 minutes ropeless it was just with my new ballast and a 450 bag on the rear seat. Not even a wedge on.

@bobbie ......how does it do with just the 1100 lbs bag filled and none on the seat? Curious as to not have the seats taken up by bags.

@Morrowcat . Does just fine as far as push. I just like as much as possible. You can always put it on the back deck.

@007 ....that's why I'm here....I'm looking for a boat that's good at everything, not just watersports. From what I've read on here a 212x or ar240 will fit the bill. Apparently @jcyamaharider has these boats dialed in?

Slightly. :D

20150816_082839.jpg

@bobbie @jcyamaharider ....does your wake wedge have to be added/removed on the water or is it simply adjusted out of the way but stays installed on the boat?

Back