• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Newbie in Madison, WI

Madcitysal

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Considering purhase of Yamaha Sx 190. We are retired couple, so most times will be 4 or less on board, and we feel a smaller boat is best for us. But we want to have a boat for water skiing for grandkids, one of whom weighs 190#. In an OB, I'd want 150 Hp. What would the Sx 190 be comparable to in Hp?

jim r wisco

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Welcome fellow cheezehead, Mendota is the lake I grew up on.

RiverRat

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Welcome aboard both @Madcitysal and @jim r wisco ! I work in the greater Madison area most days, and got out on Monona with my 192 this past summer.

I think a 190 would be very comparable to a 150 OB. The 1.8 puts out 180 HP, and jumps on plane fast. I have a 192 with the supercharged 1.8 so I can't say from experience how a 190 would pull skiers, but the layouts are the same, and it would be a great sized boat for an average of 4 adults or less on the Madison area lakes.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome aboard @Madcitysal and good luck with your boat search. I don't have any firsthand experience with the 190 series, so I'll eve that to the guys that do. But glad that you found us and decided to join in all the fun ;)

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
You should have no problems, I have pulled heavier skiers. Are you looking at new or used? I am toying with idea of selling I have a 2012 SX190 with 58.5 hours on it (also live in the Madison area).

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
On 2 skies they should have no issues , A slalom skier getting up on just one ski may be a little more difficult but still doable.

Madcitysal

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
You should have no problems, I have pulled heavier skiers. Are you looking at new or used? I am toying with idea of selling I have a 2012 SX190 with 58.5 hours on it (also live in the Madison area).
I'm leaning towards a new one with articulating keel. But I might consider a 190 used SX 190 depending on the price. Can you send me a private email with your particulars.

(removed email address--we don't recommend publishing your email address in a forum post as it is public-use a Conversation instead, otherwise you are inviting SPAM)

Last edited by a moderator:

Madcitysal

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Welcome aboard both @Madcitysal and @jim r wisco ! I work in the greater Madison area most days, and got out on Monona with my 192 this past summer.

I think a 190 would be very comparable to a 150 OB. The 1.8 puts out 180 HP, and jumps on plane fast. I have a 192 with the supercharged 1.8 so I can't say from experience how a 190 would pull skiers, but the layouts are the same, and it would be a great sized boat for an average of 4 adults or less on the Madison area lakes.

Thanks, River rat. Glad to know you've used your 190 on Monona. I'm concerned because I don't see any dealers nearby. Closest Yamaha dealer is Oshkosh. I could go there to buy the boat, but I wouldn't want to go there for yearly maintenance. How do you handle this?

RiverRat

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I purchased mine from Nielsen's in Lake Villa, Illinois. About an hour from me. I haven't been back since I took delivery. I did the 10 hour maintenance myself at the end of the first year I had it. Really easy. Just checked spark plugs, change engine oil and topped off the grease in the main shaft behind the engine. Winterizing is really easy as well. I just stabilize the fuel, fog each cylinder and make sure I blow any water out of the exhaust. I'm at 65 hours after two seasons with no problems.

RiverRat

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
It is kind of surprising to me that there isn't a Yamaha Marine dealer in the Milwaukee or Madison area. There's just about every other major manufacturer represented within 15 miles of me in Waukesha county.

I have seen Yamaha boats at Rock River Powersports in Johnson Creek pretty often throughout the summer, so I wonder if you could get factory authorized service from a powersports dealer who carries Yamaha Waverunners. At least maybe engine and pump wise, since they're essentially the same as in skis.

Madcitysal

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

River Rat, do you have any problems with the weeds on Monona?. We have a lift on the eastern shore just south of the East Side Business Men's Club and Olbrich Park. It is extremely shallow (usually 18 inches but can get down to 16") with lots of weeds. Where do you put in on Monona?

RiverRat

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
20150613_170548.jpg I put in at Olin park. No weeds over there. I did however ingest a large clump once in the Yahara, coming back from Gilligan's Island. It caused me to loose steering just long enough to pull me pretty shallow. I ended up getting a rock lodged in the the shift linkage. I was easily able to clear the pump through the clean out port and reach down and remove the debris in the linkage no problem.

I was only out on Monona once, so I can't say that I made it over by your side of the lake. I do plan on getting back out there more this coming summer.

There is an SX210 and an AR210 that are docked on the river just north of the beltline in what looks to be a pretty weedy area.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Warranty work has to be done at a Yamaha boat dealer, is what I was told. Even if a dealer sells wave runners they are not authorized to work on the boats for warranty issues.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Adding my welcome, too!

And, don't forget, a 190 is lighter to tow down to the south in the winter. Just sayin. ;)