• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Newbie question

Chief fan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
New AR250...........do i turn on house and start batteries to charge with a deep cycle charger?
Also should i leave both start and house battery on when in wet slip?

Thanks these are simple questions but new to the dual battery setup. Thank you

I have a NOCO dual bank battery charger/maintainer so I dont have to worry about the charging question. As for the wet slip, I am not sure which battery powers the bilge pump, but whichever one it is, I would leave that on! Having that bigle pump available all the time may be a huge deal if something happens causing water to get into the boat. Of course this is assuming you are going to leave the charger on all the time. I am sure others, more knowlegeable about this than I, will chime it.

If you’re boat is like mine, the bilge is connected to the house battery. So I always leave the house battery on and the starting battery off. If the boat is wet-slipped of course. Otherwise both switches should be off.

In terms of charging, in my experience doesn’t matter if the switches are on or off.

If I were you, I’d make sure the batteries were connected to a charger if you’re going to be away from the boat for more than a couple of days. Mine almost swamped a few years ago because the house battery died because there was a lot of rain.

New AR250...........do i turn on house and start batteries to charge with a deep cycle charger?
Also should i leave both start and house battery on when in wet slip?

Thanks these are simple questions but new to the dual battery setup. Thank you
You dont need to turn on the batteries for charging when in storage.

The bilge will come on with both batteries in the off position. Until I had an issue recently with a busted cooling hose, my bilge pump had never turned on on its own. So i tested it with the batteries in the off position and filled the bilge with water. Bilge pump turned on until the level dropped.

However, as mentioned before, this can drain your house battery if left unattended. The Bilge pump checks for water every 2 mins by spinning the impeller. If its dry then there is no resistance and it stops. If its full of water the impeller senses the resistance and stays on until all the water is out. If rain water gets in the bilge due to a lot of rain, it can drain your battery.

You dont need to turn on the batteries for charging when in storage.

The bilge will come on with both batteries in the off position. Until I had an issue recently with a busted cooling hose, my bilge pump had never turned on on its own. So i tested it with the batteries in the off position and filled the bilge with water. Bilge pump turned on until the level dropped.

However, as mentioned before, this can drain your house battery if left unattended. The Bilge pump checks for water every 2 mins by spinning the impeller. If its dry then there is no resistance and it stops. If its full of water the impeller senses the resistance and stays on until all the water is out. If rain water gets in the bilge due to a lot of rain, it can drain your battery.
I did the same bilge test. Both batteries off, filled with a garden hose and the bilge turned on ?

Thanks guys I will just turn the batteries off in the wet slip overnight and not worry knowing the bilge will still operate! As far as leaving the boat in a storage unit near the lake just plug charger in and leave it? Would leave it for a few weeks between boating. Just worried leaving charger on it and not being around.

Thanks guys I will just turn the batteries off in the wet slip overnight and not worry knowing the bilge will still operate! As far as leaving the boat in a storage unit near the lake just plug charger in and leave it? Would leave it for a few weeks between boating. Just worried leaving charger on it and not being around.
A smart charger is completely safe.

What brand model of charger? So just hook to one battery and both will be charged?

What brand model of charger? So just hook to one battery and both will be charged?
I have a NOCO branded charger. I hook up to both at the same time.

how do i charge the batteries on the AR250 and get in and out of the boat on trailer? My old ar240 you did not need to open the engine compartment. I have not driven the boat for 3 weeks and going down to where i store it and charge or top them off. Not sure if it needs it and will check it out after my 3 hour drive to the lake where i keep it. Any advice?

Correct, on the newer models with the battery in the engine compartment there is no other way to get to them. Unless you wire the NOCO(or charger of choice) to the batteries and install the battery charger under the Port seat where the battery switches are. I keep meaning to add the plug somewhere else on the boat but im dreading having to drill into the boat.

Three weeks of non use shouldn't require you to re-charge your batteries, unless you are leaving something on the boat while away. Ive gone as long 2-3 months(i know, shameful) with the boat in storage and the batteries were still topped off.

Back