• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Newbie - ShoreLand'r Trailer

nvuocolo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello All,

I just purchased my first boat a 2023 Yamaha XS 220. I have a 2023 Explorer that doesn't currently have a tow package (I am installing it this week as I will be picking up the boat next week). I ordered a four-pin harness and I am just trying to ensure I am installing the correct harness for a new 2023 22' ShoreLand'r trailer. Can anyone provide any information that could help? I would greatly appreciate it I am driving from New York to Minnesota to get it and I want to make sure I'm prepared.

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
4 pin harness will work with a 7 pin adapter since the trailer has surge brakes. When reversing, you will need to instal the lock out key into the trailer manually to disengage the brakes. If you are having somebody install the hitch, just spring for the 7 pin. Will be money well spent. Have the boat dealer explain the brake lock out in the event you stick with the 4 flat to 7 round.

nvuocolo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m installing the hitch and 4 pin myself. Eventually I can upgrade to the 7 pin I’m just looking to get the boat home legally and safely. I can easily ask the salesman but it was a Saturday night/Sunday morning so I figured I would try to find out what I can on my own. Thank you for your input, truly appreciated.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello All,

I just purchased my first boat a 2023 Yamaha XS 220. I have a 2023 Explorer that doesn't currently have a tow package (I am installing it this week as I will be picking up the boat next week). I ordered a four-pin harness and I am just trying to ensure I am installing the correct harness for a new 2023 22' ShoreLand'r trailer. Can anyone provide any information that could help? I would greatly appreciate it I am driving from New York to Minnesota to get it and I want to make sure I'm prepared.
FWIW, With that boat and that vehicle you are at Max towing capacity or over when have gear and gas fully loaded.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I suppose it’s time for a new truck.
I wish an Explorer had much higher Tow rating, I would probably get one, especially with the third row. Only reason we didn't was because of that. Settled on a used Expedition with 9,600 Tow rating.

nvuocolo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just got it in December. Two year lease, I’ll have to see what I can do. We’re taking a 250 the majority of the way. I only really need to make a 3 hour trip home then I’ll be putting it in the water for the summer. Don’t intend to tow it too much but ultimately I need something bigger.

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
Hello All,

You'll want a 7 pin if you want the surge breaks to function properly.

Maslin

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think I’d rent a truck rather than push it with an Explorer. That’s a long drive at the limit.

nvuocolo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We’re making the bulk of the trip with my brothers 250. Only about a 3 hour drive back home. But tomorrow I’ll be looking at a new truck. Thank you all for your help.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You'll want a 7 pin if you want the surge breaks to function properly.
Surge brakes do not need anything electrical to function properly. The only electric feed is for the reverse lockout solenoid to activate. If not connected you can still use the lockout reverse key.

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
Surge brakes do not need anything electrical to function properly. The only electric feed is for the reverse lockout solenoid to activate. If not connected you can still use the lockout reverse key.
I didn't know the technical specifics regarding the solenoid. I did know about the lock out key.
That said my original reply is accurate. While the trailer can be operated with the lockout key, if you want the brakes to work the 7 pin is required.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I didn't know the technical specifics regarding the solenoid. I did know about the lock out key.
That said my original reply is accurate. While the trailer can be operated with the lockout key, if you want the brakes to work the 7 pin is required.
The brakes work by a surge piston not electric. The only required electric is from the reverse lights siglnal. Which is from a 5 pin setup. This signal only stops the brakes from working in reverse. Or use the key in reverse.
If they changed the new trailers to the round 7 pin style, they are in fact only using 5 wires. Probably changed to that style because trucks now almost always have a round 7 pin setup and/or a flat 4 pin.
So your statement is wrong the brakes work by a surge piston not by using a 7 pin connector, the 7 pin connector will only stop the brakes from working in reverse. In the past they used a flat 5 pin

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
The brakes work by a surge piston not electric. The only required electric is from the reverse lights siglnal. Which is from a 5 pin setup. This signal only stops the brakes from working in reverse. Or use the key in reverse.
If they changed the new trailers to the round 7 pin style, they are in fact only using 5 wires. Probably changed to that style because trucks now almost always have a round 7 pin setup and/or a flat 4 pin.
So your statement is wrong the brakes work by a surge piston not by using a 7 pin connector, the 7 pin connector will only stop the brakes from working in reverse. In the past they used a flat 5 pin
So what we are both saying is that for the optimal use of the trailer a 7 pin connector should be used.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So what we are both saying is that for the optimal use of the trailer a 7 pin connector should be used.
Yes unless you want to always get out put key in every time you back up the trailer, which is a big pain in the ass.lol