• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

No information on my 'new' boat trailer

TN_seamonkey

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Hi all!
So, I just picked up a 2017 SX195 last week and I can't find a single iota of information on the Shoreland'r trailer it came on. I mean, I found the maintenance manual, but not like an owners or instruction manual. The reason I'm looking for info is because this trailer obviously has brakes, but I have no idea how they work. The electrical connector is some oddball 5pin flat connector that, as far as I can tell, has no mate on any standard towing harness wiring. In addition to that, the previous owner broke the pin off of the blue wire so the connector would fit the standard 4pin flat connector. I'm thinking perhaps that blue wire controls the brakes, and therefore I have no brakes on my trailer. I've attached a photo of the busted 5pin connector for your pleasure.

Oh! Also in the photo you'll see that little 'pin' thing he wire tied to the tongue. He said it was something like a brake override?? I googled it and it looks like that piece to disable surge brakes when you're backing up, but this trailer doesn't appear to have surge brakes.

Any ideas? This is apparently the trailer that went out with all of the SX192s in 2017, so there are probably a ton of these out there.

Thanks!

MikePXL_20210315_164243695.jpg

TexAg2010

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
In the zip-tied position, that little key prevents the hydraulic actuator from being compressed when your tow vehicle slows down and it prevents the trailer brakes from engaging. So your current configuration is “brakes don’t work ever.” The zip tied key is supposed to be placed where you have it in the pic only when backing up the trailer with no electrical connected, to manually prevent brake engagement that could occur as you compress the tongue and hydraulic actuator while you are backing into the water. When electrical is plugged in, reverse light signal should energize a solenoid that prevents the brakes from actuating. This key is for those who unplug the trailer lights to prevent shorts or bust bulbs, or if your trailer/tow vehicle combo does not support the reverse light signal to the solenoid lock-out device.

TexAg2010

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Also, it is designed to fall out on its own when you pull forward again, removing the lock-out and re-enabling your trailer brakes as you pull forward off the ramp. But it can’t do that because of the zip tie.

TN_seamonkey

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
@TexAg2010 thank you for clearing that up for me! I'm going to rewire this thing using the 7-way connector from eTrailer to get the brakes back in commission. Hopefully, I'll be able to cut that zip tie at the same time. Ha! I need to find out if my trailer/vehicle combo has the reverse signal lockout action.

Thanks again!

Mike