• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

No more V8 in two-row Grand Cherokee

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
To be honest, I didn't even realize they were selling the 2 row GC anymore. I thought it was delayed or something. I can't say I've seen a single one. I see the 3 rows all over the place, they're hugely popular here. But I only see the old 2 rows.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 2 row version becomes obsolete pretty quickly. The 3 rows.veraion is just a much more practical size with virtually no trade off.

SwissDoo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
We have a brand new 23 GC with the V8.
What an amazing vehicle.

Very hard to get a three row here, so we settled with the short version.

Amazing interior and the driving assistant is just a blast.

Needless to say it tows the 230 with ease.

Attachments

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We have a brand new 23 GC with the V8.
What an amazing vehicle.

Very hard to get a three row here, so we settled with the short version.

Amazing interior and the driving assistant is just a blast.

Needless to say it tows the 230 with ease.
That's a sharp looking interior. Nice materials, good aesthetic look to it.

Man I hate the way the industry is going with the consoles though. Tons of volume there without a ton of usable space. I'm biased, but I really think console design peaked (or was close to it) with the '15 GMC I had. Current Titan's are close as well.

I could literally put a gallon of milk in this opening. (3) USB ports, (1) 120V AC port, and (2) 12V ports. The little "ridges" under the ports would allow you to standup a cellphone if you wanted to. The cupholders came out and could be in the forward position or the rearward position, or removed completely. There was additional storage under the cupholders. The storage under the armrest had several cubbies and tracks for hanging file folders (I kept two in there for papers/receipts/etc). Had another (3) USB ports in there and another 12V port. As well as a couple lights so you could see.

1672404223532.png

With that said. The screen and plastic was cheap and a let down. It worked OK, but not great, and it looked cheap in an otherwise nice interior.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
To be honest, I didn't even realize they were selling the 2 row GC anymore. I thought it was delayed or something. I can't say I've seen a single one. I see the 3 rows all over the place, they're hugely popular here. But I only see the old 2 rows.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 2 row version becomes obsolete pretty quickly. The 3 rows.veraion is just a much more practical size with virtually no trade off.
I'm always amazed at how different the demographics are between your space and mine.

I rarely see the 3row GC's. The shorter ones are far and away the more popular choice here. Most folks opt for the Durango is they want a mopar 3row SUV. The exception being the "jeep guys" that won't drive anything but a Jeep, because, well, reasons I guess.

Similar observations around the Q7 we've discussed before. If I see another 2-3 of them in a day, it's been a busy day. I'll often go a full week without seeing another one, however they're very popular and prevalent in your area.

Just interesting.

So, without the V8 what are the options? just the V6? new I6 in there?

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm always amazed at how different the demographics are between your space and mine.

I rarely see the 3row GC's. The shorter ones are far and away the more popular choice here. Most folks opt for the Durango is they want a mopar 3row SUV. The exception being the "jeep guys" that won't drive anything but a Jeep, because, well, reasons I guess.

Similar observations around the Q7 we've discussed before. If I see another 2-3 of them in a day, it's been a busy day. I'll often go a full week without seeing another one, however they're very popular and prevalent in your area.

Just interesting.

So, without the V8 what are the options? just the V6? new I6 in there?
That's is strange. We have a decent nber of Durango around here... But I will say the 21+ are rare vs the GC L here.

I think at this point you can only get the pentastar v6 or the 4xe v6. I had a 12 GC back years ago with the 5.7L, it was a great vehicle.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
That's a sharp looking interior. Nice materials, good aesthetic look to it.

Man I hate the way the industry is going with the consoles though. Tons of volume there without a ton of usable space. I'm biased, but I really think console design peaked (or was close to it) with the '15 GMC I had. Current Titan's are close as well.

I could literally put a gallon of milk in this opening. (3) USB ports, (1) 120V AC port, and (2) 12V ports. The little "ridges" under the ports would allow you to standup a cellphone if you wanted to. The cupholders came out and could be in the forward position or the rearward position, or removed completely. There was additional storage under the cupholders. The storage under the armrest had several cubbies and tracks for hanging file folders (I kept two in there for papers/receipts/etc). Had another (3) USB ports in there and another 12V port. As well as a couple lights so you could see.

View attachment 192501

With that said. The screen and plastic was cheap and a let down. It worked OK, but not great, and it looked cheap in an otherwise nice interior.
I wouldn't say it's a fair comparison. The truck has much more room interior wise and has a lower sitting transmission/drive shaft. The Ram looks like it has more room in the center console than the picture above. I believe Ford has gone this route too.

jthackman

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
ya, full-size truck's extra 6/7 inches of width, and dash or column mounted shifters = way better consoles.
i really like the wife's jgcl. but the gear dial and the air suspension controls eat up most of the console real estate. put the gear shift dial on the dash near the push start button and control the air suspension on the screen (i assume most buyers probably just leave it set it on 'auto')....need more space for phones and yeti cups...and boat keys

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
ya, full-size truck's extra 6/7 inches of width, and dash or column mounted shifters = way better consoles.
i really like the wife's jgcl. but the gear dial and the air suspension controls eat up most of the console real estate. put the gear shift dial on the dash near the push start button and control the air suspension on the screen (i assume most buyers probably just leave it set it on 'auto')....need more space for phones and yeti cups...and boat keys
Yeap. This is quite succinct.

Audi has air suspension controls on the dash.

Still has dumbass console shifter though.

it also has a SUPER shallow console because of the driveline underneath.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wouldn't say it's a fair comparison. The truck has much more room interior wise and has a lower sitting transmission/drive shaft. The Ram looks like it has more room in the center console than the picture above. I believe Ford has gone this route too.
Really just things like drive mode settings, shifters, and other crap in the console. These are infrequently used controls that are taking up usable space in the console area, instead of putting them in a menu on one of these gigantic ass screens (that are another trend I'm not super enthused with).

It's all personal preference though. I know there are several people here that think column shifters are as dumb as it gets, when I think they're they cats pajamas. Different strokes right?

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The expedition has a giant center console like f150. You could fit AT LEAST 16 subway footlong sandwiches in there. But, being truck based, it sits very upright with a crap load of depth and width for storage space. Non truck based vehicles tuck the power trains up a little more (or more accurately, tuck the cabin a little lower), and so the console height suffers. Full size trucks are basically the widest vehicles on the road, so you'll get a crap load of extra space for storage and seats.

My grand Cherokee had a decent sized center console, but it's a different league vs a fullsize. The trailblazer, you could likely only get 3 or 4six inch sandwiches in the console.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I heard that Ram is dropping the 5.7Hemi after 2023. Will probably be available on special order and lower end work truck models but its all Eco-Boost v6 from here on out. :(

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Really just things like drive mode settings, shifters, and other crap in the console. These are infrequently used controls that are taking up usable space in the console area, instead of putting them in a menu on one of these gigantic ass screens (that are another trend I'm not super enthused with).

It's all personal preference though. I know there are several people here that think column shifters are as dumb as it gets, when I think they're they cats pajamas. Different strokes right?
I hate when things are in a menu on the screen. A physical button to turn on your heated or cooled seats saves SO MUCH HASSLE.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I heard that Ram is dropping the 5.7Hemi after 2023. Will probably be available on special order and lower end work truck models but its all Eco-Boost v6 from here on out. :(
I'd give the ram a bit more thought with the online turbo 6. The 5.7 is fine, but it just feels disappointing vs the 392 and even the other v8s from GM and Ford. The 5.0 is a blower away from 700hp, and the gm 6.2L is pretty stout on its own. The 5.7 just gives off base engine vibes, and ram needs something to fix that.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I bet they are dropping the 5.7 without the e-torque. The 5.7 mild hybrid will probably keep going. I agree that it's time to move on to a new engine for it though. If they offered the 392 for a slight upgrade, it would be a huge seller. The time of the modern HEMI is nearing its end.

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When I bought my RAM I was surprised that the V6 and 5.7 were the only options, and still are. Not that I need it, but I would've thought a 392 would have been optional. Having only the two certainly makes stocking a lot easier. Looking at F-150s was a PIA with all the engine options. I'd find the right engine or perfect config so many times, but rarely both.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I hate when things are in a menu on the screen. A physical button to turn on your heated or cooled seats saves SO MUCH HASSLE.
Well sure. For things I might adjust 2-3 times a drive. Give me a physical button. For something I adjust less than once a drive, put it somewhere else.

Drive modes.....I have (5) of them. I have two buttons that "scroll" up and down. Or I can use the screen interface to change it. I MIGHT have changed them 3 times in one drive as an all time high.

Shifter is the same way. I adjust it once or twice a drive. I'm not manually shifting with the console. I have paddles for that if I want to. Only time I'm adjusting the shifter position is if I'm changing direction of travel. I don't need that on the console. Put it on the dash, column, or somewhere else.

Heated seats I adjust a lot. Volume and station I adjust a lot. Temperature is an often adjusted parameter, I like my dial for that. I use parking aids/cameras a lot. I adjust the vents depending on the airflow I want on my face (those are completely asinine to be in a menu).

Point being, I think design priorities are overtaking instead of functional priorities and it's killing the usable space inside the vehicle.

Oh yea, add push button start to the list of BS ideas that is more sizzle than steak. I now have to find somewhere to keep the keys while I'm in the car. Used to live in a specific location on the column/dash. Now they might be in my pocket, might be in the console. Could be in my backpack I don't know where they hell they are. I've started teh car and drove off twice with them on the workbench behind the car only to get an alert that the keys are missing 1/2 way down the street. What a dumbass feature that solves a problem nobody had to begin with.......just like console shifters, and backing in to charge EV's (instead of pulling through like every other energy replenishment station on the planet).

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Well sure. For things I might adjust 2-3 times a drive. Give me a physical button. For something I adjust less than once a drive, put it somewhere else.

Drive modes.....I have (5) of them. I have two buttons that "scroll" up and down. Or I can use the screen interface to change it. I MIGHT have changed them 3 times in one drive as an all time high.

Shifter is the same way. I adjust it once or twice a drive. I'm not manually shifting with the console. I have paddles for that if I want to. Only time I'm adjusting the shifter position is if I'm changing direction of travel. I don't need that on the console. Put it on the dash, column, or somewhere else.

Heated seats I adjust a lot. Volume and station I adjust a lot. Temperature is an often adjusted parameter, I like my dial for that. I use parking aids/cameras a lot. I adjust the vents depending on the airflow I want on my face (those are completely asinine to be in a menu).

Point being, I think design priorities are overtaking instead of functional priorities and it's killing the usable space inside the vehicle.

Oh yea, add push button start to the list of BS ideas that is more sizzle than steak. I now have to find somewhere to keep the keys while I'm in the car. Used to live in a specific location on the column/dash. Now they might be in my pocket, might be in the console. Could be in my backpack I don't know where they hell they are. I've started teh car and drove off twice with them on the workbench behind the car only to get an alert that the keys are missing 1/2 way down the street. What a dumbass feature that solves a problem nobody had to begin with.......just like console shifters, and backing in to charge EV's (instead of pulling through like every other energy replenishment station on the planet).
Most modern cars can adjust all these features with voice... most people are not aware of that.

Side note, you are screwed when they just get rid of keys completely lol (Tesla).

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

I agree overall but love push button start. Keys live in pocket forever and I never have to worry about it. No jingle jangle of them against the dash, no futzing about with them, just convenience. I also like console shifters because at least it's something I can pretend is a manual and hold on to. I've grown to be satisfied with rotary shifters too. Still don't like column shifters, too awkward and no reason for them.

Multiple driving modes only exist to make it so you don't have to spend time developing a good one. Way faster and cheaper to throw 5 adjustable modes at something and let the customer decide than to actually engineer one mode that works well.

I am militantly opposed to the "phone as a key" crap. That sounds like a recipe for the worst day of your life, losing your phone at the dock or something and no longer being able to get into your car. I would never buy a car without a key fob, hard pass.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I bet they are dropping the 5.7 without the e-torque. The 5.7 mild hybrid will probably keep going. I agree that it's time to move on to a new engine for it though. If they offered the 392 for a slight upgrade, it would be a huge seller. The time of the modern HEMI is nearing its end.
The real issue is it'd take so little to update the hemi to be competitive it's sickening. Open up the heads a little bit, maybe throw a small turbo or 2 on it, you'd have an awesome motor that would still sell.