• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

No or low wake speed

Craigz

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Just curious,
I live in a spot where I have a decent distance of no wake canals to get out in the gulf. What speed can you guys go on a no wake zone?

I feel like everyone else is going 6-8mph but i feel like I'm pushing it in the high 4s.
I'd love to increase to 6-7 since it would make a massive difference to my total time in and out. Any ideas to minimize wake?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just curious,
I live in a spot where I have a decent distance of no wake canals to get out in the gulf. What speed can you guys go on a no wake zone?

I feel like everyone else is going 6-8mph but i feel like I'm pushing it in the high 4s.
I'd love to increase to 6-7 since it would make a massive difference to my total time in and out. Any ideas to minimize wake?
I will start by saying that I think you can't go wrong by choosing to install trim tabs on your boat!

The trim tabs will lower the wake when the stern is lifted, bow lowered - tabs down allows boat to go faster without the wake. Basically, the net result (if the tabs are nice and large enough) is that the hull is lifted more out of the water. And digs less of a hole in the water.

Trim tabs also allow a boat to keep its bow down and stay on plane at lower speeds.

--

Craigz

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I will start by saying that I think you can't go wrong by choosing to install trim tabs on your boat!

The trim tabs will lower the wake when the stern is lifted, bow lowered - tabs down allows boat to go faster without the wake. Basically, the net result (if the tabs are nice and large enough) is that the hull is lifted more out of the water. And digs less of a hole in the water.

Trim tabs also allow a boat to keep its bow down and stay on plane at lower speeds.

--
Thank you. I will definitely look into that. I have the wake tabs that actually make the wake bigger (not installed) I was thinking of trying to make a modified set that would offset the wake and hopefully cancel some out. Trim tabs sounds promising tho, didn't realize they had that benefit

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
No wake here in Florida is idle speed there is wording in the law stating that you are allowed to travel at the minimum speed require to maintain steerage however in minimum wake zones you can travel at a speed where your hull is not on plane . I would suggest you research your local laws for exact definitions and requirements. Oddly it really has nothing to do with your actual wake since here a minimum wake zone is probably in reality a big wake zone.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The tabs down allows our boats to go faster while FULLY OFF PLANE, with much smaller wake.

--

Craigz

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Thank you for all that useful info. It sounds like I should definitely get trim tabs.
I believe my area is slow speed not idle speed but I'll have to double check.

ALAN MANN SR.

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Believe me in Florida, Slow speed minimal wake for a jet boat is IDLE. Have got a $90.00 ticket for that, and was only doing 5 MPH.