• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

no power on right motor

Retired37

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Went to the lake and everything started out just fine. Launched, tied off at dock went and parked. Came back pushed off from the dock, turned on wake mode no problems, got out of wake restriction went to throttle up and the right engine would only go to 5000 rpm at full throttle. Left engine no problem.
Any ideas or suggestions ???????

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Sounds like it is being limited, any change in sound or condition between both engines at same 5000rpm? Wondering if you might have ingested some debris and had a cavitation at no wake that you didn't recognize, and it is limiting rpm in a protection mode. But I thought that was 3000rpm, not 5000??? Just a few thoughts...

Retired37

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
First thing I did was shut it down open and remove clean outs NOTHING VISIBLE OR PRESENT, went back to dock loaded up checked below NOTHING VISIBLE OR PRESENT when viewing from below.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Any lights flashing at the bottom of the tach? Maybe it was an overheat or low oil pressure. I've never seen it go into limp mode, not sure what RPM that limits it to.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A few things come to mind.

Things to inspect
1. Any recent work on the boat?
2. Check throttle cables on each engine to verify that they are operating the same.
3. Check air cleaner for oil contamination.
4. Check battery cable connections. Make sure all grounds and positives for both engines are clean and tight.

Things to wrench on
1. Change spark plugs (inspect the old ones, rust?, wet?)
2. Unplug/swap no wake mode plugs to see if they're causing the issue
3. Swap COPS (coil over plugs) from one engine to the other (if your boat has them).

Good luck with the repair, it's usually something simple. Keep us posted.

PS. Do you happen to have YDS & a cable?

Retired37

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Any lights flashing at the bottom of the tach? Maybe it was an overheat or low oil pressure. I've never seen it go into limp mode, not sure what RPM that limits it to.
No flashing lights present. I look for possible over heating (nope) everything is peeing fine. Oil is full. First issue like this since I've had the boat 10 years.

Retired37

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
A few things come to mind.

Things to inspect
1. Any recent work on the boat?
2. Check throttle cables on each engine to verify that they are operating the same.
3. Check air cleaner for oil contamination.
4. Check battery cable connections. Make sure all grounds and positives for both engines are clean and tight.

Things to wrench on
1. Change spark plugs (inspect the old ones, rust?, wet?)
2. Unplug/swap no wake mode plugs to see if they're causing the issue
3. Swap COPS (coil over plugs) from one engine to the other (if your boat has them).

Good luck with the repair, it's usually something simple. Keep us posted.

PS. Do you happen to have YDS & a cable?
Everything has been checked an was good. I as of this message just finished a complete spark plug change. A couple were pretty dirty; no rust; no signs of water or oil blow by/ through (took long wooden qtip put in/out of plug opening to check for moisture all is good) maybe it was just time for new plugs.
Will take it out to lake pleasent, AZ tomorrow and see how it goes.

Will update post than.

GNX231

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
JUST A THOUGHT MIGHT SOUND CRAZY BUT MAKE SURE THE CLEANOUT PLUG IS SEALED. I MIGHT HAVE FORGOT TO LOCK THEM IN A TIME OR TWO AND NOT POWER WAS THE RESULT. SORRY FOR THE CAPS I JUST NOTICED

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Depending on the last time the spark plugs were changed, that's where my money is.

latitudeadjuster

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
My bet is the spark plugs.....

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
He changed the spark plugs and even a lack of clean out plug wouldn't affect rpm...except for the speed which it reached max rpm. Clean out plugs affect hookup, not engine rpm.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would suggest checking the throttle cable linkage where it enters the air box. Is it pulled out or otherwise out of place? Pull the air filter out, put the throttle lever at full throttle and make sure the linkage is pulling all of the way in the throttle body.

Retired37

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
SO here is the update...........I did a complete Spark Plug change :thumbsup: (A couple were pretty dirty; no rust; no signs of water or oil blow by/ through (took long wooden qtip put in/out of plug opening to check for moisture all is good) maybe it was just time for new plugs).

I DID NOT make it out to the lake (Family Emergency) :(to see if the problem is gone.

I will make the lake run this coming weekend :winkingthumbsup"and report back to everyone.

I do thank you all for your input on this situation.:thumbsup:

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm crossing my fingers for you @Retired37 , but I'm pretty confident that the spark plugs will do he trick. I change the spark plugs each season to avoid these types of issues. It's pretty common for our "vintage" of Yamahas to foul the plugs.

Retired37

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
OKAY; THANK YOU everyone:thumbsup: for your input. I did a complete Spark Plug change and as of this response everything is working as it should. I will now be completing the Oil change this coming weekend.

Everyone have a great day and enjoy the water:)