• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

No reverse w single engine operation.

TommyG

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I noticed that when I start one engine and the other one is not running yet the bucket on the operating engine does not activate. Meaning neutral gives you idle forward (Not idle) thrust and reverse gives you more forward thrust. Once I start the other engine they both work correctly. I’m pretty sure this is a malfunction that I need to take in but I wanted To get some input from the forum.

AmesJainchill

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Sounds like a malfunction to me. :rolleyes: The buckets/gates operate independently on mine and you're supposed to be able to go up to 5mph on one engine with the other off if needed and still have maneuverability. From what I've experienced on mine the gates operate as follows:

Forward: gate up
Neutral: gate appx 3/4 down
Reverse: gate all the way down
Engine off: gate appx 3/4 up
Engine start: gate moves from 3/4 up to 3/4 down (on start there is a brief bump forward as the gate drops down)

Not sure if there is a difference on how the non e-throttle/shift functionality works vs e-series.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Possibly a rock or something lodged preventing the bucket from moving properly. When you have both engines working, the second engine is probably what’s giving you enough thrust to function and you’re assuming both are working properly. That’s what it sounds like to me at least.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Weren't there a couple guys in the early stages of the E-Throttles that had the cables installed backwards from the factory? Wonder if you got another "mixup" boat.

I'm assuming you have the E-Throttles, otherwise it's just a cable system and something has it physically jammed

TommyG

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Possibly a rock or something lodged preventing the bucket from moving properly. When you have both engines working, the second engine is probably what’s giving you enough thrust to function and you’re assuming both are working properly. That’s what it sounds like to me at least.
When I checked it out my buddy actually checked the buckets while I operated to se of that was not the case. So I was able to rule out that only one was working properly. As reverse thrust only gives you about half of what you get in forward if one was stuck I'd expirience some type of spin in reverse if one was stuck. With both in reverse the boat moves straight backwards and steers normally.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Try just turning the other key to on but not starting it. Maybe that motor/battery powers it?

Markk

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Try just turning the other key to on but not starting it. Maybe that motor/battery powers it?
My E-series is single key and push button start.

TommyG

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My E-series is single key and push button start.
on key for the ignition setting. individual Push button start for each engine starter/ignition engagement.

Markk

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just checked my buckets and can send you video of how they act. Maybe send me cell number to text video to?

1) batteries turned on: buckets open
2) key on: buckets open
3) crank port engine: port bucket down, starboard open
4) crank starboard engine: starboard bucket drops
5) stop port engine: it’s buckets raises
6) stop starboard engine: it’s bucket raises.

07491F70-A038-4880-834E-A2DAEF185C4B.jpeg5D539912-4043-4044-89D3-B4446DF322A9.jpeg239F5195-212F-4593-8067-1A7087F3E149.jpeg

Markk

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Last edited:

Markk

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ugh...forum software keeps changing the link when I post.
I can text the link or look into YouTube upload. OneDrive will work and play video if I could trick forum into leaving link in its original form.

TommyG

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just checked my buckets and can send you video of how they act. Maybe send me cell number to text video to?

1) batteries turned on: buckets open
2) key on: buckets open
3) crank port engine: port bucket down, starboard open
4) crank starboard engine: starboard bucket drops
5) stop port engine: it’s buckets raises
6) stop starboard engine: it’s bucket raises.

View attachment 124573View attachment 124574View attachment 124575
Awesome thanks! that's exactly what I needed.