• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

No safety chain on Scarab trailer?

Pinhacker71

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
I just noticed when unloading my 2015 scarab 215 hi impulse that there is not a safety chain. Is there supposed to be one? I assume I should add one. Can I just get something from the hardware store for this?

Pinhacker71

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
I'm talking about chain the hooks into bow eye.

jet set

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Funny you posted this today. I was just at home depot today looking for chain and hook for a safety chain for my new scrab trailer. The way its made though doesn't seem like the obvious place for the chain would hold it far enough forward.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I didn't have one on my custom trailer. I don't really see the need for one. Help me out....is it just in case the bow winch fails?

Slugger55

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
There was another thread that had this discussion about safety chains on trailers. Just my opinion, but the safety chain was a must for the older roller trailers that were obviously in need of an addition measure to make sure the boat didn't get ejected from the trailer if the winch/winch strap failed. With the bunk style trailer the boat isn't going to far with two ratchet straps on the stern and one on the bow. Plus, the weight of the boat on the fabric covered bunks keep the boat from sliding to far. Again, just my opinion from my experience.

robbo3

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I didn't have one on my custom trailer. I don't really see the need for one. Help me out....is it just in case the bow winch fails?
Yes, definitely a back up plan.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I can't imagine pulling the boat out of the water without one in place. I've had the ratchet on a winch or two go bad in the past. Without rear tie down straps in place and with wet hull and bunks, the boat will just slide right off in an attempt to return back to the water like a fish flopping around on the swim deck. There's plenty of great pics on the Internet of boats that have slid of the trailer on the ramp. I love Luke think a few bucks for a safety chain or cable would be worth it.