• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

No signal to the tach after getting it back from the shop

Ignatius Riley

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
Hi Folks - looking for some advise/info from the group. Been reading up and searching on related posts/topics but can't seem to find info on specifically where the tack signal originates in these boats.

The boat is a 2003 SR230 so it has the dual MR1's - I have owned it for about 3 yrs now and has 170 hrs. I have done regular maintenance on it (oil, plugs - has never needed anything else - I keep things nice and clean.

I took it to SkiDock (dealer/shop in Austin) to replace the PS bearing carrier (what the intermediate bearing goes into). I had it changed because the rubber vibration damper was coming apart from the carrier and was taking in water. Had considered doing it myself, but not the easiest DIY to undertake as it involves either taking the engine out or at the very least pushing it forward to let the intermediate shaft/carrier come out. So I wussed out and took it to SkiDock.

When I picked it up, I was told I had a bad tach (and it was good when I dropped it off) so when I got home I switched the tachs (at the gauge cluster) - they both work fine on the SB side, so clearly not the tach itself. Oh and yes the Port side gets power right up to the tach so I know it's not that. That leaves me with the only thing missing being the tach signal, and thus my question as to where the signal originates in hope of chasing where the signal has gotten interrupted. Does any one where the signal originates (cam position sensor, coil , crank)? I know ultimately it goes to and through the ECM but where does it originate?

Would love hearing from any one with a similar experience or of course the scores of smarter ( than me) people in the forum.

Best -

Turns out that through a private conversation with scottintexas - he suggested I look at the YDS plugs and make sure they were connected as they disable the tach and the shop clearly was back there... Boom... that was it. All is good again in Tach. Public thanks here for scottintexas.

Gotta love that @Scottintexas. He beats me to it all the time. I had the same issue 3 years ago.

I had it diagnosed, too. That @Scottintexas is fast on the keyboard.

Be sure to call the shop and let them know!!! Glad it's all fixed!

I'll be calling the shop allright ....bunch of monkeys ;-(

Thanks all..

Back