• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

No test drive for you!

We went to the boat show the year before, looked at the 190, decided that was the boat for us. 8 months later, put a deposit down on the 2013, waited 3 months for it to come in. it was winter. what are you going to compare it to anyways? jetboats are almost completely different then outboards and i/0's

I saw a 242ls at the boat show. I ordered my black one without ever driving a jet boat. Honestly it was the advice from members of this forum that helped me make my decision. I have no regrets!

Thanks for all the comforting words. I have drove another yamaha and I liked it but it needed some throttle and maybe some adjustments to the nozzles. It turned to the left all day but a right hand turn was a struggle, I am assuming not all yamahas are this way otherwise I would think all of you would be talking about it all the time.

The dealer said they just dont have enough boats to allow potential buyers/joy riders to put hours on their new boats. I guess as the guy wanting to buy a new boat I can appreciate knowing it hasn't been in and out of the water by other people that may not take as much care as I know I would. I too have been lurking on yamaha forums for way too long (3+ years) and its time for me to finally just get the Yamaha. You all have made this a real easy decision.

Thanks!

If you've driven another Yamaha, you liked it, and you're looking at the newest 24 footers, I'd say the likelihood of you being disappointed is extremely slim! Regarding the pulling thing, all I can say is that my SX210 doesn't do that. Turns just as easy left or right and, provided there's not a cross wind, tracks straight at speed with no steering input. Any kind of side wind will require counter steering, but that's just the nature of the beast.

I bought mine without ever seeing it in person or test driving it. Of course, since it was @txav8r (Mel's) boat, I knew that it was a keeper ;)
Not everyone is lucky enough to buy from another forum member, let alone one so well known for their care and upkeep.

I have one dealer within 500 miles of where I live so my choices are pretty limited. I have talked with the boat salesman on a few occasions and visited in person a couple times. The salesman knows I am serious about buying the 2015 242LS.
I have only been on one other yami and was allowed to drive it for a few minutes. So now that you all have a brief background, here is my complaint/concern/question.
The local dealer does not have a demo boat and they wont let me take their 2014 LS for a test drive, even though I am close to putting a deposit on the 2015 to secure it for me. BTW my dealer wont receive new boats until January/February and if the promotional APR of 1.99 or 2.99 become available then I will most likely buy the boat sight unseen. I know many of you bought your boat before seeing it, just looking for some comforting words I guess before I drop 60+k.

thanks guys!

Are you by any chance coming down to Denver and dealing with Vickery Motorsports in Parker/Aurora? I dealt with Brent Miller the sales manager there and he offered up a demo ride of the AR192 I'm looking at. Haven't actually done it yet as we've pushed the purchase a year, but he did offer since they had one in stock.

Yes, I asked for a quick test drive in the 2014 242 he has in stock, knowing I was planning on buying the 2015 when it arrives. I have not had a chance to drive a 242 or similiar so I felt before I drop 60k the least he could do was offer what I was asking. I do understand his point but still doesn't satisfy my needs. I was even ready to sign a purchase agreement and put a down payemnt for 2015. Oh well, Brent seems nice just too much like a standard sales men. Doesn't sit well with me. They have dropped their price for the two leftover 2014' boats so hope you negotiate a great deal.

The problem with test rides is that for a smaller dealership they're not practical. How many here would pay full price for a demo boat? Probably none of us. Every one of us would demand a deep discount for a demo boat. A dealership that doesn't move a ton of boats every year can't absorb that kind of a loss to allow every serious customer to demo every type of boat they sell. Yes, you just want to test ride a yamaha. But what about the serious buyer that wants a mastercraft? What about the serious buyer that wants the large sea ray cruiser? Sounds like a lot of boats left at the end of the year that will have to be sold at deep discounts because not only are they now a used boat, but the next model year is probably coming out so now it's also a year old.

Coming from someone who use to work for a yamaha shop many years ago, every customer said they were a "serious buyer" and wanted to test ride the pwc, boats, bikes, atvs, etc. Sadly most dealerships aren't in a financial position to allow this to happen.

With that said, if you liked an older generation yam jetboat you will love the newer ones!! Don't let a test drive hold you back!

Yes, I asked for a quick test drive in the 2014 242 he has in stock, knowing I was planning on buying the 2015 when it arrives. I have not had a chance to drive a 242 or similiar so I felt before I drop 60k the least he could do was offer what I was asking. I do understand his point but still doesn't satisfy my needs. I was even ready to sign a purchase agreement and put a down payemnt for 2015. Oh well, Brent seems nice just too much like a standard sales men. Doesn't sit well with me. They have dropped their price for the two leftover 2014' boats so hope you negotiate a great deal.

That's disappointing. Seems odd he wouldn't do it since they only stock the AR192, the 212X and 242 Limited S cause that's all that people seem to buy (his words).

Test driving a 2014 242 LS, when you are considering a 2015 242 LS? Honestly, probably a waste of time. The 2015 is so different. Hull/keel/interior/etc. It's like testing a C6 corvette to see if you'll like the C7 Corvette....

Well @Nucem140 you know where to come to get a test drive.

@Nucem140 I was in your position just few months ago. Had been lurking and drooling for more years than I wish to say. Finally my wife said, "Shit or get off the pot". I bought a 2014 Ar210 sight unseen, my first ever boat purchase. Called several local dealers, got best price, bought it over the phone. Dealer didn't even have boat in stock, they had to get it from a dealer in SC (I'm in NC). The first time I saw my boat was as I was backing the truck up to it to haul it home. I have no regrets. But I will tell you that on my first trip out, just me and my dad, I thought I had made a horrible decision. Boat was new, so per break in, didn't get it over 4K rpms. These boats don't handle well at 4000rpm especially for a new driver. I couldn't hold a straight line to save my life. At least we were on the lake on a weekday, with no other boaters. Had this experience happened during a test drive I don't know that I would have ever purchased boat. But by the end of break-in period (hour or so) I had quickly figured out how to drive the boat and life was good. So my point is don't sweat the test drive. If you can afford the boat (and all the crap that comes with it and all the fuel) then just go for it already.

Back