• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

No Throttle operation. Request assistance

Kawi

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Hi all, got the pump back together on my new to me SX192 couple days ago and went to the water to give it a test. i have not driven this boat yet since it was purchased in the fall. All looks good, and i've done oil, impeller/wear ring/air filter, lubed all things needed. Boat started up great in the driveway and also when i got to the ramp to back it down. BUT- not throttle from the controls. I can pop the hatch and rev it manually with no issue, i have a good amount of lube on the spring, cable, etc back there.
My first thought was maybe messing with the bucket, etc during jet repairs, i made slack in the cable and popped the "ball" out of the controls in the front, like a motorcycle, but now i see it's a rod assembly up there..Where does it transition from the hard rod to cable before going to the motor bay? i imagine i'm missing something simple.. but can't figure it out. Couple pics of my assembly are attached. Thanks for any help, really wanted to get this thing in the water for a test today.

Attachments

Kawi

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Feels like something mechanical is binding. I have two detents forward and backwards, but no movement beyond that, and NO movement back at the cable in the hatch

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
One of those 2 is the throttle, the one that does not move the gate. I believe it's the one closer to the "sky". That cable starts moving only after going past those 2 detents at about the 45 degree angle, either in forward or reverse.

Check this video out:

Maybe the cable is stuck? apply a little formce?

Kawi

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Thank you, took a break and gathered my thoughts and went back out, i unhooked the cable at both ends, and i see the cable looks to start up near the controls, it'll only click in/out 1/16" at most, and nothing back at the hatch, so i'm assuming the cable is just frozen up terribly. i know the boat sat last yr with no use. my own fault, i should have not just lubed the ends, but gotten oil down into the cable itself.. goin back out to keep oiling. Wish me luck.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You can try to lube the inside of the cable with a hose that fits around the cable and a clamp and some oil, then some air pressure with a hand pump, or just leave the house attached filled with oil allowing gravity to feed it in, then keep trying to "action" it from the other end. I am certain if you work it enough you will free it.

Kawi

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Just wanted to close this out. I couldn't believe the force i put on the lever and this didn't budge, but as mentioned above, my throttle cable was FROZEN SOLID. i was really leaning on the lever thinking if i went any harder it would break. I taped up my cable with a baggy corner cut off, and let penetrating oil soak into the cable for 2 days. i finally got it to free up and got some brown mucky goop to come out of the cable. took her out for a couple hours and it only got better. Thanks for the help. Hit 44mph a few times and still had some left in the tank, but it was Mem day weekend and BUSY out there. Now to soak the steering assembly next, it's very stiff as well.

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Theres a few good write ups in the faqs for lubing steering cables. I will note that if using the presssure method it will take 60 psi plus to move the fluid through the cable. All the while turning the steering back and forth. It takes a while but it will start dripping on other end eventually.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If steering is stiff....it's 99% probably also the cables and not the mechanism itself. I could be wrong, but that's culprit #1. Good thing is, you already know how to work it! :)

Kawi

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Well- I’ve taken the boat out 4 times since I got her together. Been running perfect.
got to the launch and started pulling it up towards the trailer, and lost throttle. Bumped it a few times by hand and up onto the trailer. Took apart today and the cable is snapped up at the helm inside the sleeve. Partzilla shows in stock, but it’s hard to trust the site since I waited 5 months for an impeller. Anyone purchased a throttle cable lately? I don’t want to lose what’s left of our 8 week summer here. I LOVE THE BOAT!