• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

No Wake Mode ... too fast? <rant>

@WickedPorter If that were me you cruised by, I wouldn't have said a word - just a friendly wave - that guy was being a minor jerk. Walk it off. That guy clearly doesn't appreciate irony, the obvious verbal lashing to send after the stern of your boat was in view would have been simply… "WHOA NELLIE!!!"

That is a good one @jawsf16 ! Interesting that no one seems to use #1 no wake speed. I do, but it is new to me, and I use #2 and #3 as well, but only out away from other boats, docks, boathouses, or shore. I find #2 and #3 a tad too fast for me, compared to my 230's single speed that I used to have. I find that it had plenty of control as well as the #1 position on the newer 240. I would also say that #1 and #2 throw about the same ripple, but #3 gets a little too much wash out there to suit me close to anything. I am on line with some of you, I would smile and wave...as I pretended not to hear him clearly. Like the coast guard said, your responsible for your wake and that jerk just didn't want to be passed and was regulating harbor speed, which he is neither responsible for or qualified to dictate. Wish my boat was home to go throw a wake!

In my marina I never go above #2, I think #3 is too fast. When going through a cut I will use #2, but if it is crowded I'll use #3 for more control.

I had a guy yell at me at Norris while in my 1 staged no wake mode. I told him I was at idle speed (cause I was sure he did not know what a jet boat was) and he just huffed and we went on our lives

I have passed plenty pf patrol boats on big river events ( fireworks or concerts ) where there was a no wake speed. None of them have questioned my speed so I no wake on

@WickedPorter If that were me you cruised by, I wouldn't have said a word - just a friendly wave - that guy was being a minor jerk. Walk it off. That guy clearly doesn't appreciate irony, the obvious verbal lashing to send after the stern of your boat was in view would have been simply… "WHOA NELLIE!!!"

LOL! After "moving in" to the slips this year, I've been meeting all kinds of great boating neighbors in the surrounding slips/docks. Every time I walk by they always shout WHOA NELLIE! Great group of people we've been meeting there so far :)

I don't believe my speed/wake that evening to be high enough to be called out on, that's a definite. In the higher traffic/tighter spaces of the harbor (near slips and moored house boats) I'm either in idle with the throttles forward/buckets up or maximum #1 no wake setting. Out past our large wave wall where there are no house boats/slips, I typically pick it up to 5mph, which would be #2 or #3 based on conditions/load/etc. This is where I was "called out".

Thanks everyone for all the info and helping me "get over it." :D

I understand no wake to be the minimum speed to control your boat such that you are not creating a disturbance in the water beyond what was previously there. So if you're in a harbor and there are already 2" waves, then no wake mode #3 is totally fine. Otherwise I think NW#2 in calm water is what I will putt around the harbor in.

Last year I got chewed out on my Cobalt for waking when I was going about 4MPH and I had the same person who chewed me out last year for waking in my 242LS this year. So I asked him what he thought about no wake mode when compared to idle forward without no wake mode turned on. I had it in No Wake #2 and he said "What wake" to me, so I asked him about No Wake #3 and he said I'm still doing better than most other people out there. (The guy that chewed me out is the owner of a local marine shop in Page,AZ for Lake Powell). I feel No Wake #3 is pushing it, personally, as it leaves a pretty sizable (adjacent to the direction of the boat) roller behind the boat as opposed to a water displacement wake off to the sides of you.

For slower wake speeds, you can place the throttles in neutral and use the no wake button.

For slower wake speeds, you can place the throttles in neutral and use the no wake button.
Except for a new guy, this can be a hard to steer maneuver!

I've been sticking to #1 or #2 inside the harbor by all of the houseboats/etc. This seems to be a good speed in this area and doesn't produce much more than a ripple. Past our harbor wave wall, I'll bump it up to #3 if I need to keep up with the flow of traffic/going in to the south wind, otherwise #2.

Haven't seen Mr. Slow recently. With how slow he was going (almost neutral in a stern drive), I'm guessing the very mild ripples from the other boats in the channel possibly washed him to shore, or he got so angry with everyone passing him at 4-5mph that his head exploded.

Back