• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

NOCO Genius Gen2

PolarXJ

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Same one I will be ordering next month.

Addicted

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have had this charger installed for 2 years. Works great, no complaints. I have one of their smaller single chargers that I have used for my ATV's for 4 or 5 years, with great results as well.

cozilla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I am going to go with the mini version soon.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I thought about the smaller one, but saved some money elsewhere and ended up going with the 20amp. Ordered last night.

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have oneinstalled in my 212X, a single output on my Yamaha Rhino, and another one in my garage mounted on the wall to keep the boats batteries charged all winter while they are out of the boat.. They are awesome!

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just curious as to why you need a charger for these boats. I have a new AR coming soon and I'm wondering if I should get one. My current I/O boat has a dual battery setup but I've never needed a charger. Don't the engines fully recharge your batteries while under way? Do the yami'is not have enough output to do this?

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I like to have both of my batteries fully charged when I go out.. we do a lot of floating and listening to the radio, and we may not run it enough to fully charge the batteries back afterwards.. I make sure to charge mine before and after each outing.. plus a boat is not like a car, most dont get used every day or even every week, I know I use mine a lot but I can go a couple of weeks without use and marine batteries gradually discharge with no use..

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Just curious as to why you need a charger for these boats. I have a new AR coming soon and I'm wondering if I should get one. My current I/O boat has a dual battery setup but I've never needed a charger. Don't the engines fully recharge your batteries while under way? Do the yami'is not have enough output to do this?
Excellent question: The real answer lies in HOW you use your boat.
1) Do you TURN OFF the batteries when you are done ? If not, they will both discharge. Little on-line gremlins in the electronics take of this part for you. In the new 2015 24'ers, it is easier to do this (without complaining) as the seats are hinged.
2) IF you have optional and added electronics (AMPS is what we are addressing here) and HOW LONG you are "on the water" this day will determine how long it'll take your batteries to re-charge.
3) WHEN will you use your boat next. If you have nice "added' music system, and are on the water playing tunes for 4-6 hours, and then plan on going out today again, at least 1 of your batteries is gonna be toast ........ LOL.

So in your case, you may not "NEED" a charger, but it is a GREAT enhancement, and one that is a) Easy to add, and b) relatively inexpensive.

Do yourself a favor: Do NOT purchase a battery "maintainer" - This is not the environment these were designed to handle.
And buy a quality Battery Charger, as much to "MAINTAIN your batteries, as to charge them.
And lastly, this is 1 place where BIGGER is BETTER. While a 10 amp 2-bank charger (5 amps per bank) might be "sufficient" it is FAR BETTER to get the 20-amp, 2-bank (10 amps per bank) charger. For 1 thing, it'll bring a discharged battery back QUICKER than the 5-amp per bank charger will. And you never know what }"tomorrow" will bring, for you, in our boating world.

Good Luck regardless of what you decide, Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

PS - The NOCO is a fairly good unit -
I am more a fan of Minn-Kota chargers and Pro Charging System chargers. They Cost more - They are WORTH more !

PPS - Minn-Kota has a FACTORY $30 rebate in effect right now ...... for all chargers purchased between January 1, 2015 and July 1, 2015.

http://mk.factoryoutletstore.com/content/pdf/minn_kota/2015-MK-Chargers.pdf

Last edited:

Island Jay

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have 20 amp 2 bank chargers, waterproof, for about $90. If I can help out, please let me know.
thanks!
Jason

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
A Yamaha charging system is small so there is limited charging capacity. But if you do not have a megawatt stereo or you do not use electronics while at rest for any length of time then your boat charging system will have no trouble returning your batteries to their fully charged level or maintaining a full charge.
Beyond that you want to be concerned with self discharge which is a couple of percent per month.
If you are in the far north with a short boating season then 7 to 8 months is too long to go without some sort of charging maintenance routine. Batteries last much longer when stored in a fully charged state.
So your particular need for a charger and the capacity of charger is circumstantial as stated above. There is no better way to determine your need than to end speculation and measure your batteries at key times...just before the outing and when returning from an outing...with enough time for charging voltages to dissipate allowing for a true reading. Just because the boat continues to start does not mean you're batteries are being kept in optimal condition.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
A Yamaha charging system is small so there is limited charging capacity. But ..... Just because the boat continues to start does not mean you're batteries are being kept in optimal condition.
Truer words were never spoken ! Thanks for writing all of this, and other, @David Analog !
Good Luck to all, Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have 20 amp 2 bank chargers, waterproof, for about $90. If I can help out, please let me know.
thanks!
Jason
You didn't have anything listed in your store when I looked (ebay store). :/ I definitely woulda jumped on that...

Island Jay

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well HAD may be a better statement. Sold out yesterday. I am expecting more in about a week or so.
I usually have ProSport Gen 2 and Gen 3 in stock. Waterproof, automatic, will no over charge.
Are you famialr with them?
Thanks!
Jason

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
A charger is pretty much mandatory if you want to leave your boat in the water more than a week as well.

soggyshoes

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@ChargerGuy do you have any setups for solar battery chargers. I have used the ProSport for years and have loved them. My '07 bike still has the factory battery still works great with the help of a ProSport. Is there something as good as the ProSport in a 12v with a solar panel.
There is no AC at the dock where I wet slip.

Island Jay

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Afraid not as I do not do anything with solar. Solar usually does not have the same power as a 12 amp prosport, so the recharge would be much longer.