• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Noise concern

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I’m looking to buy a 2021 Yamaha 252s. I’ve always had an I/O so I was wondering about how much louder a jet boat will be. I don’t really want a loud boat but I like the layout of the Yamaha boats. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
We had an older I/O that was about the same volume but lower pitch so slightly less "noise", but certainly not as fun to drive. No one complains about noise on a boat - ever been on a Baja, Fountain, or similar performance boat? They're a lot louder than jetboats...but no one complains. When cruising around on plane, the wind noise is almost as loud so even if they were much quieter, it wouldn't matter that much - people just want to have fun.
:D

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Not all I/O boats are the same. What do/did you have before? In my own experience, I found our jet and the others I've been on to be considerably louder than any other boat I've been on, and with a tone that was frankly not pleasing to the ears. Some of that comes down to simply running at much higher rpms than a comparable V6 or V8 powered boat, it also comes from exhaust that exits above the water level on plane and from the noise created in the hull by the pumps themselves as they process a huge volume of water. For those riding in the bow, it probably isn't all that different as most noise up there is wind and water with the engine sound being blocked by the windshields. Behind the windshield, though, is a different story. Honestly, if relaxed/semi-quiet cruising is a priority, I'd definitely expand your search.

The difference between our Yamaha SX210 and the MB v-drive we currently have, is very very noticeable. Our guests didn't complain on the jet, but nobody did much talking while underway because it was just too loud. Several have commented on how much quieter our current boat is, though, and people are always talking now while underway, not just when we're anchored in a cove somewhere. Just one man's experience.